Ubuntu Precise Pangolin

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Ubuntu Precise Pangolin

Post by myglaren »

Upgraded my laptop to 12.10 Quietly Qrazy last night, also installed it on the Dell Netbook that was temporarily running Linux Mint Maya as I couldn't get the wifi to work with Ubuntu 12.04.
Found what I had been doing wrong whilst installing Mint and applied it to QQ (running from a USB dongle) and it worked fine.

When I installed it it took a while longer to get the wifi going again, mainly dumnity on my part - there are conflicting drivers for Broadcom hardware.
My laptop always just works :)
Haven't found any great difference yet except the update link is missing from the usual place.

The netbook, previously ground to a halt by having all of it's impressive 7Gb SSD crammed full of XP, now flies on Ubuntu with many more programs installed (office suite for one).

Discovered that it had a webcam when it wanted to take a photo of me as a start up icon. A very unpleasant experience. :evil:

I have it hooked up to the downstairs stereo currently feeding youtube music to me. Going back to it's owner tomorrow, I have been waiting for her to supply me with a username and password for weeks. Do you think she will like being Eleftheria Arvanitaki? :twisted:

I would have done a clean install on mine but it wouldn't recognise the USB dongle as a boot device, despite having created it as one, and couldn't see the DVD writer - a most unusual situation.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I didn't even know QQ was released Steve. I guess it's not an LTS as regular PP updates have not mentioned it..

So, from what you say then, not a not of significant difference to be seen and not worth updating from PP then?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I think it was released on Friday.

There are a few cosmetic tweaks but I haven't found much to shout about. I mainly wanted it for the Netbook, rather that Maya as I am not too familiar with Mint, although I have mucked about with it in the past and it was on the wife's laptop for a while as it didn't seem to like 10.10.

I wanted a clean install on mine as my battery is banjaxed and I keep pulling to DC connector out of it, and it is likely storing up problems for me - possibly why the USB wasn't recognised as a boot device - I have run Mint from it in the recent past, same with the DVD writer, worked fine a couple of weeks back.

I do like to have the most recent release running though, although generally wait until it has been out for a couple of weeks as the servers usually run hot but there was no delay this time.

Quantal Quetzal :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's a very pretty little bird Steve :-D

I'll give QQ a go on my laptop at some point. Just to have a butchers...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gingerposer
My Cars:

Post by Gingerposer »

Newb alert (to Linux) - I quite fancy trying linux on the laptop - currently running windows 7. Is it easy enough to run it from usb flash memory, just to give it a try?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Gingerposer wrote:Newb alert (to Linux) - I quite fancy trying linux on the laptop - currently running windows 7. Is it easy enough to run it from usb flash memory, just to give it a try?
It is indeed, I have been running Linux Mint and Ubuntu on the netbook for over a month from a 4Gb dongle - doing it this way allows you to save stuff - configurations, bookmarks and history as long as there is space on the drive.

You will need to make a bootable dongle and I don't know if that is doable from Windows without something like Nero installed but there is another option -WUBI.
I have never tried it but it runs from a folder within Windows. I believe that it is inferior to a proper installed version - as is the dongle option.

Have a shufty through the website before deciding.

I can send you a dongle with it on to borrow and try if you wish.
Gingerposer
My Cars:

Post by Gingerposer »

I'm away all week for work, so I'll hopefully get a chance to read up about it - if I get any kind of data signal in shetland!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

A look at QQ (bit naff)

'nuther one:

There are alternative desktop themes. I was going to have the Cinnamon version of May but opted for Mate instead (boring)

Here is Cinnamon.

Found a better one earlier, lost power (again) and can't remember where it was.