FDV adjustment

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

FDV adjustment

Post by steelcityuk »

Hi All,

I'm guessing this will raise some objections, don't do it advice, etc. but I want to lighten up my steering. The XM has had lots of work on the hydraulics, steering and engine as an on going project. The FDV has been pulled apart, ultrasonically cleaned, new filters fitted, etc. I've read that if wrongly adjusted damage can the done so naturally I want to avoid that. I've read the other thread on this and followed the link but details are sparse. The question has been asked elsewhere, but I thought this being a 'central' all models forum there may be more knowledge on this matter. The steering seems under assisted.

So what I'd like to know is how sensitive the adjustment is? I don't yet have a pressure gauge so I can't go by the specs.

Thanks.

Steve.
not applicable
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: FDV adjustment

Post by xantia_v6 »

I am no expert on FDVs, but I have a bit of experience of power steering, and (assuming that the system has normal pressure to begin with) the only way to lighten the steering is to modify the pinion valve, usually involving the fitting of a lighter torsion spring, or or machining the existing spring to make it weaker.