Newish xantia owner Needs help

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xantia Dave
My Cars:

Re: Newish Xantia owner Needs help

Post by Xantia Dave »

Off to the scrappers this morning to grab a fuse box just so i can take it appart (friend of mine owns a yard ) so i hope he has one in stock !
Xantia Dave
My Cars:

Post by Xantia Dave »

Hi again ,im still needing help on this heater problem

I replaced the fuse box and now i have a normal working aircon switch and the power is back at the heater (brown plug) BUT the heater blower only runs slowly for 20 seconds or so then just stops ,the old fuse box smell really bad of burning smell

At least this was definatly causing some part of my problem ,(aircon switch now lights up as it should)

Any more idea's folks pleeeeeeaaaaaassseee im sick of the cold ,the steamed up windows in this wet weather its getting unusable now :( and have no other mode of transport :cry: :cry: :cry:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Dave, get your voltmeter on the two thick wire on the brown plug that connects to the blower assembly. Do you see a full 12 volts here?

If you do, measure the voltage on the motor itself (The connectors are accessible enough) and see what voltage you have there.

Also, have a butchers at this thread. It'll tell you if the blower regulator is getting the right sort of control signals...

I'd suspect either the motor is tired or the blower regulator is unhappy although this is an unusual fault in a blower regulator. They normally cause the blower to run uncontrollably at top speed. Also known as a hurricane.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xantia Dave
My Cars:

Post by Xantia Dave »

Ok ,i have over 12v on the red wire ,no volts on the thick black wire the small white (ish) wire on a seperate connector is 12v

which wire is the signal wire please to check the voltages there

P.s. i have swapped the complete motor over from a salvage car and it is doing the same thing

Ill take a photo to explain more

Im sorry im really dim when it come to electronics

Give me a cam belt to do ,let me weld a floor pan in an old classic ill sort that out no problems

wiring makes me feel like crying :oops:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xantia Dave wrote: wiring makes me feel like crying :oops:
Me too and I'm qualified....

Dave, check the voltage between the read and black wires at the brown plug and not between the red one and the car body. Check that with the engine running you have a full solid 12v between these wires.

Trace the two thick red and black wires going to the motor itself and check the voltage between those too, both when the fan is running almost normally and when it's not.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

also is you heated rear screen switch lighting up now with your replacement fuse box,

if not it could still be the ignition switch at fault

regards malcolm
Xantia Dave
My Cars:

Post by Xantia Dave »

Ok guys heres where im at

Firstly the blower no longer turns at all (no idea why)

Tests with heater set to max speed engine running

The brown plug has 4 wires going to it :-

The left wire (number4 thick red wire) has 14.2 v
Next is number 3 (thin orange wire)Has 13v
next is number 2 (thick black wire) Zero v
next is number 1 (thin white wire)0.241 v

Now there is a black wire from the motor thin ish which is connected to a pink thin wire this has 14.2 v

On the motor itself there is a red and a black thick wire which plugs into the motor slighty round the side and a red close to the main brown plug across the two they read zero v ( but from body of car to either read 14.2v)

Hope this is of help

The link you sent with the varying voltage test i cannot find the signal wire as the link within the link doesnt work so no Diagram to view

Sorry im a pain

And thanks for the efforts so far :) wish i could afford an auto electrician to take a look ,but im struggling topay my bills and feed the family this year :oops:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Dave,

Where are you located?
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Dave, I've fixed the broken link... It was a victim of a changeover from IIS to Apache on the web server :roll:

Now, if you are seeing 13v on pin 3 (wire 16) that means that the regulator and supply are fine and that the Climate ECU is telling the fan to stop. 13V in this context means fan off. A sliding voltage from 12 down to zero increases fan speed with 0V equating to full speed.

In normal running you should see around 7V on this connection.

So, that points to a problem with your climate ECU or the wiring between it and the blower regulator. If the wiring to pin 3 is open-circuit then the voltage will go to 12V and the fan will not run.

You need to investigate the wiring between the climate ECU and the regulator and then look at the fan slider switch (item 8025). It is here I expect you will find your problem. It's not unknown for the slider switch (actually a pot) to fall apart inside.

You can be happy the blower regulator and heavy wiring are both OK.
Jim

Xantia Dave
My Cars:

Post by Xantia Dave »

Thanks for your responce ,im located in sedgley ,dudley DY3 area ,i will investigate this further ,i have a complete slider mech from a salvage car so i could swap that over if i have no joy with tracing the wiring issue ,many many thanks so far :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I was going to say if you were local'ish to me, come round and get it sorted but you're half a world away I guess :( Never even heard of where you live let alone knowing where it is :roll:
Jim

Xantia Dave
My Cars:

Post by Xantia Dave »

Do you live in mac ? i have friends who live in a road called Bryn-y-Gog
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Xantia Dave wrote:Do you live in mac ? i have friends who live in a road called Bryn-y-Gog
No, not yet. I fully intend to as soon as I retire Dave. Not that far away I hope [-o< Our middle daughter is at Uni in Aberystwyth and both she and I absolutely adore the place. Got to learn the language first. No way I'd move to a place like Mac speaking only English...

Current abode is near Milton Keynes although I'm a foreigner here. A deep West Country lad of Welsh extraction by birth..

If you do get fully frustrated with this problem and ever fancy venturing down the M1, the offer is open although these days time is not in any great profusion...
Jim

Xantia Dave
My Cars:

Post by Xantia Dave »

Ill bear that in mind :) ,my friends have lived in mac for 15 years and still cant speak much welsh :) really friendly place
Xantia Dave
My Cars:

Post by Xantia Dave »

Still scratching my head with this one ,will update over the week end :)