Xantia rear spheres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If your car is a 94 Xantia the next question is has it got an anti sink mechanism and the extra sphere. If it has this sphere then a faulty accumulator sphere (on the regulator)can cause the rear of the car to drop as the anti sink valve opens and there is insufficient available high pressure LHM to replace what has leaked away. I would expect a discharged accumulator to be accompanied by more frequent ticking of the regulator.
The fact the car rises to the full height position when its set to the normal driving position suggests that the height control linkage is corroded and very stiff. As the car sinks the linkage opens the height corrector valve and its not shutting off again. If you're lucky a simple but thorough clean and lubrication of the linkage will cure it.
jeremy
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Well if the rear sinks when the engine is started then it must have anti sink fitted, otherwise it wouldn't do this and the fact that it does means the anti sink sphere is knackered.
Going to maximum height either has something to do with the linkages or just that it is set incorrectly, get under and have a look at them especially at the plastic ball link from the anti roll bar, if its popped off or missing the rear suspension will just about do anything it wants.
It may also require new rear suspension spheres, but you need to make sure the basic system is working ok before deciding if they are also goosed.
If you are new to hydraulic cits. you must take great care when working under them, they must be securely supported, they can lower faster than you can get out from under them so be safe and don't take any risks.
Dave
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

What year did they fit anti sink onto the Xantia? because mine sometimes sinks while craking if it does not start straight away - like when I dont preheat it long enough. I have seen a sphere in the middle at the back, is this it?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

That's the antisink sphere [;)]
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

Has anyone got a hydraulic circuit diagram for a Xantia? I might understand it better then because I work with hydraulics daily.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

This is not quite what you are looking for but covers all the theory in great detail. Its an Adobe Acrobat file - readeris obtainable from the GSF site (downloads I think)
http://citroen2.triger.com.pl/kc/pdf/citguide.pdf