Detailing Question

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Re: Detailing Question

Post by Timmo »

Autoglyms bumper gel is very good for this, they do 2, a plastic and vynal dressing (goldy coloured square label) and bumper care (green label), the bumper care is the better for the trims, although works well on rubber window surrounds too, apply thick ish and rub into the trim rather than onto it if you know what I mean, leave till you've donme the car, recoat if necessary and then rub excess off with a cloth, you won't get Months of dark trims from it, but a coupel of weeks, slowly gets better the more times its treated,
We used to use the Hot air gun trick on old vauxhall astra's etc. In the garages as the trims on those would go White! Hot air gun on a medium heat held a few inches off the trim and moved up and down so you don't melt it brings the pigment back to the surface after the years of sun bleaching, is slow progress mind and first couple of attempts tend to look more like a tortoise shell effect but a good way to bring back the dead plastics!
A few guys I know swear by heating the trims up and applying the bumper gel when the trims are warm to get a better effect, personally, never seen the benefit over it myself!

On the old 309gti I used to be out every few days washing it and weekly applying the bumper gel Then on top The vynal spray, used to have deep glossy bumpers and the big rubber spoiler! Tyres were always shiny clean black too! Glad now to have 3 cars with body coloured bumpers etc.!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor