2.0HDi starting problems.. HELP!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kersley

Re: 2.0HDi starting problems.. HELP!!!

Post by kersley »

I just been speaking with my partner, she reminded me that the van started giving me problems soon after they stole my catalytic converter.
I woke up one morning finding a few guys looking under their vans and shouting all sorts of horrid words. I jumped in mine and started her up.
It sounded like a military tank. It was then that i realise that someone has stolen my catalytic converter. They went round my area and stole many cats from vans for the precious metals it contains.
The same day i manage to get a second hand exhaust unit from the breakers, but this one didn't have the cat fitted. just the regular pipes and back box.
This came off an earlier Peugeot boxer non turbo model. So the question is? would not having a cat fitted cause all the above problems?
Thanks
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Not on diesel. Diesel cats are there to reduce particulates only, they don't affect fueling, well, unless they become blocked !
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I wonder if the cat-nappers (evil sods) did any damage when doing their deed that may have a bearing on this fault?

Can't think of one off the top of my head unless they crushed a fuel pipe say, which would restrict the flow...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Or broke a sensor wire perhaps ?
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
kersley

Post by kersley »

Maybe?
I checked and can't see any signs of trapped pipes or cut wires.
Please bare in mind that these cat thiefs are professionals. The cutter they used cut really clean (I would have used a hacksaw)
I even saw an auction on EBay, selling info on recycled converters. business must be really good for these guys, :-D
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

kersley wrote:I live in SE London. Looking at your map, there don't seem to be anyone within my reach.I kinda worked out h20cooler would be the easy to get to.
Half hour drive on the motorway would take me to him/her. BUT do I dare drive on the motorway with my engine light on?
I feel a bit stupid for asking this, but could I take out the ECU and get it to them or does it have to be connected to the van to do this operation?
Yes the ECU does need to be plugged into the van, if you're able to get it just to the west side of the M25 I'm willing to have a good go at diagnosing it with both my Lexia and good old fashioned grey matter, I have a reasonable understanding on HDi's but can't make you any guarantee that I'll definitely fix it.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
kersley

Post by kersley »

Thanks Dickie..
It's good to know someone out there is still passionate and not be afraid to try.
I'm gonna try get the AA out tomorrow and see what they think.. failing that i will have to risk getting to you?
Somehow I don't think the van will make it that far..Would you consider coming to me?
I would be very happy to collect and take you back home and make you a lovely cup of tea..
If you could private message me with a price and your thoughts, I'll be very grateful..
Thanks K
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

PM sent.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH