Xantia steering puzzle

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Anti roll bar clamp not hooked in, struts mixed up left to right or two of same hand fitted.
Dave
jolittle
My Cars:

Post by jolittle »

Well, the week is up. With my car almost a week at his workshop anda about to give up, my mechanic was underneath the car testing one last thing. He noticed that his hand had easier access in the gap between the chassis and the rods connecting the steering assembly to each wheel. He noticed that the left hand side was tighter than the right. He visually checked the assembly and 'presto': two washers under the right side and none on the left where it was bolted to the chassis. Thus the rod on the right was higher than the left and the geometry of the steering would be differently deflected under dynamic conditions or bouncing of the car when going over bumps. Thus the bump would 'push' the wheels to left, and then 'right' themselves as the car rose again.
It was great reading all the creative and imaginative replies. Hope you did not all get too desperate and that you can understand my explanation..