Returning to GSA ownership after 18 years

Dedicated to owners of Citroen GS and GSA models.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut

Re: Returning to GSA ownership after 18 years

Post by citronut »

dave_aber wrote:
So far I have bought a clutch (from MCL), and put it in the boot for now.
no no no the clutch goes under the bonnet :o :twisted: :roll: :lol: :wink:
dave_aber wrote: When I went to use the cat a couple of weeks ago on a Sunday, it wouldn't rise up.

there's some strange things going on in Aberdeen :shock: :twisted: :lol: :wink:
dave_aber wrote: I haven't looked at a GS/GSA pump for years, but as I remember them, there's not exactly a lot to go wrong.

there aint much at all to a G hydtaulic pump just a con rod driven from the cam on the oil pump spindle which drive one very small piston up and down the cylinder bore,

first thing i would check id the suction feed pipe from the tank to the pump for splits/cracks,
secondlt release the bleed valve on the regulator then tighten it back up, also try moving the height lever in the car to the highest position a couple of times,

i lived in Aberdeen about 30 odd years ago we loved it, i wish i hadnt moved back down

dave_aber

Post by dave_aber »

I'd checked the suction pipe, which was OK, but I hadn't thought about the bleed valve.

18 years ago when I wasn't without a LHM suspended car I'd have gone straight for that. Amazing how much you forget over time!

Anyhow, a quick bleed and it's working again (the cat will be pleased :shock: )

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote:
dave_aber wrote: When I went to use the cat a couple of weeks ago on a Sunday, it wouldn't rise up.

That just brought on a full five minutes of giggling :-D :lol: Just what I needed after today's events on a certain XM :twisted:

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

citronut wrote:

:lol: Brilliant =D>

ren16tx

Post by ren16tx »

Hows the GSA going?? i have a "c-matic" version that "citronut" will, hopefuly " :!: ) be doing some work on very soon!!
chris

dave_aber

Post by dave_aber »

Had a wee spin out this weekend - Elgin - Edinburgh - Glasgow - Elgin.

Last time I drove it, I had noticed a distinct delay between pressing the brake pedal and anything happening in the slowing down department. I remembered years ago that I cured the same symptom by bleeding the front brakes. So, before I left I bled the front brakes.

Initially, the delay seemed to have gone, but it may have been my imagination - it's still there.

It is most likely due to the main sphere being a bit flat, as the hydraulic regulator is cutting in quite often, more so when the brake pedal is pressed.

I doubt I'll be doing many (any?) miles now for the rest of the year, so in slow time I'll get hold of a freshly charged sphere or have this one tested and re-gassed.

Apart from that, an excellent drive out. She feels so different to anything else I have owned since my old fleet of GS/As, and so 'right' - especially at speed.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That was the cause of a similar brake delay on my XM Dave. Ruptured accumulator. When I removed it I noted it was full of frothy LHM and it seemed it was because the sphere was ruptured that the LHM was so frothy...

A new accumulator and a second bleed all-round saw the problem completely eliminated. generally it's the rear brakes that get more airy than the fronts and the backs need a good deal of LHM bled out to ensure all air is out due to the length of the brake lines - they go from the back to the front and back to the back again...

citronut

Post by citronut »

if it is ruptured mind you have a container at hend as you remove it,

as they hold a lot of pumped up citro blood just itching to escape, i have seen them shoot a jet of LHM several yards/meters :o :twisted: :-D :wink:

uhn113x

Post by uhn113x »

... and through your skin. :shock:
ren16tx wrote: How's the GSA going??
And more to the point, did you need to take the cat to the vet? :wink: