New Xantia owner with a couple of niggles

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

infinicar

Post by infinicar »

OK - I chnaged the engine oil and filter today and whilst it was up on the lift had a good poke around to familiarise myself.
I found a couple of drips forming on the pressure regulator, and that and surrounding area covered in a film of LHM and crap. Do the regulators leak? Or will it be the spehere? Where the sphere joined the reg it looked to be quite dry.
LHM change scheduled for weekend, any info on above appreciated.
Thanks
Paul
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Paul -
Wipe the whole area around the spher & regulator - then have a look again after a couple of days - or this weekend.
The leak may emanate from several joints :
The regulator rubber overflow/return hose (cracked on stud).
The rigid pipe nuts seals.
The sphere mount O-ring.
Only the regulator return hose may be a "wallet" problem - the other bits are cheap.
infinicar

Post by infinicar »

Thanks for the info, will do this tomorrow.
What sort of money is the pipe u mention? Not that it matters because I can lose it as an expense to the business.
Paul
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Donno Paul -
But try browse this thread - which gave me fears [B)] :
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=3835
infinicar

Post by infinicar »

OK Thanks.
Theres somthing else I forgot to mention. When setting the lever to max height, the STOP warning light comes on, then after 2-3 secs starts to flicker and then disappears - the car then raises. This happens every time you set it to Max height....
Never seen it on any other time.
Paul
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Paul -
That I'd take as normal -
When the car is set to highest height - the height correctors immediately opens for pressure to the suspension cylinders - taking all the pressure present. Result is a sudden drop in system pressure - takes a while for the pump to "top-up".
It MAY be indicative for a flat antisink sphere though - if antisink is fitted on your Xantia.
But this would commonly also show as a sudden drop in height when engine is started.
infinicar

Post by infinicar »

Hi All,
Thanks for all the advice. Replaced all 6 spheres and a hose from accimlator and alas no more leaking, no more funny noises or sinking etc.
All I got to do now is get round to replacing the noisy pulley.
Paul
akojic
My Cars:

Post by akojic »

Does the hose seem to be expensive?
infinicar

Post by infinicar »

Ive forgotten what it cost, about 30 quid I think. Will dig the invoice out for it.
Paul
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Just to add to this one - My xantia has always "ticked" from purchase, about once every 20 - 30 seconds or so. Its just had new LHM and new spheres all round and still does it - should it? Is it normal????
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Marty
Sounds like the rapid end of acceptable - probably needs the non-return ball valve re-seating. lives under the accumulator sphere and just neds a smart tap with a brass drift. I can even do it on a BX without removing the regulator!
jeremy
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jeremy</i>

Marty
Sounds like the rapid end of acceptable - probably needs the non-return ball valve re-seating. lives under the accumulator sphere and just neds a smart tap with a brass drift. I can even do it on a BX without removing the regulator!
jeremy
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Cheers - will get dressed and have a look![:)]