I'm back! (And looking for a Citroen...)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: I'm back! (And looking for a Citroën...)

Post by Mandrake »

DickieG wrote:
xantia_v6 wrote:The brakes fitted to V6s and HDI 110s have a poor design that makes the pads rattle loudly over rough surfaces, making the ride sound much worse than it is. There was a factory modification to adding some spring clips to quieten them down. Search around here and you should find some photos of the clips.
If you hear a rattle at the front end which sounds like a worn droplink gently pull up the handbrake enough to just tension the calipers as the car negotiates corrugations in the road surface, if the noise stops you have three options, put up with the noise, try "loading" the caliper as you tighten it or buy/fit the clips below.

Hi DickieG,

I think you're right about this noise being a rattly calliper. In the time since your original post about it, both drop-links and track rod ends have been replaced, and while they have made improvements in their own ways the main intermittent rattle/clatter on rough surfaces is still there at the front left. So unless its the lower balljoint it must be the calliper, everything else has been eliminated.

While doing jobs in the area I noticed if I grasp the left calliper it rocks left and right with significant slack while the right hand one doesn't, so I think this confirms it as the culprit. What's the part number for these ? Is it that number on the bag ? I can't afford any non essential items this month no matter how cheap, but I'll order some next month if I've got the part number.

Cheers,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: I'm back! (And looking for a Citroen...)

Post by Mandrake »

Right, finally got time to sit down and post about the resolution of the Hand Brake saga. I had so much trouble getting the right cables that the problem almost deserves a sticky thread of its own so that other poor shmucks don't fall into the same traps...

So here it is in a nutshell. GSF seem to be the best place to obtain the cables from if you do NOT have a big engined (V6 and HDI?) Xantia that requires the longer 1295mm left hand cable. Despite GSF's website saying their cable is compatible with the V6, IT IS NOT, and this was finally confirmed to me over the phone, but they have not fixed their website, and probably never will.

There are also mistakes on the listings on their website regarding which cable is which.

731PC0080 is a 1264mm LEFT hand cable, despite the website listing its length as 1333mm ! This cable is not suitable for a V6.

731PC0090 is a 1335mm RIGHT hand cable, despite the website listing its length as 1262mm ! This cable will fit any Xantia.

I tried to inform them of the mixups on the website but they didn't seem too interested so I'm not holding my breath on those being fixed.

Other suppliers who I have tried to get a 1295mm LEFT cable for the V6 Xantia were Pagid and First Line. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME. Despite confirming the correct part numbers in their catalogues over the counter and inspecting both first hand they are not even remotely compatible. :roll: The pagid cable does not have enough "throw" making it impossible to even hitch it over the balancer. The First Line cable looks like a cable off a completely different car and doesn't even have the same fittings or even any adjustment locknuts!

The only supplier I was able to find a V6 left hand cable from was Citroen themselves, who have it for £38, and managed to supply one in just over a week. Citroen themselves no longer stock a right hand hand-brake cable for any Xantia - they say it has been discontinued.

So in summary, if you have a small engined Xantia that needs a 1264 left cable, buy both cables from GSF but be wary of the incorrect labelling of left and right cables.

If you have a V6 or other model that needs the 1295mm left cable, get the left cable from Citroen and the right cable from GSF. (731PC0090)

Below are some pictures of the three different cables taken side by side to show the relative difference in lengths:
IMG_0124.jpg
IMG_0126.jpg
The top one is 731PC0080 from GSF (1264mm) the middle one is a 1295mm left cable from Citroen, and the bottom one is 731PC0090 from GSF (1335mm) and its pretty clear from the pictures that the GSF cables are OEM as they're absolutely identical.

Problem solved and the handbrake is now working rather well. :)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive