C5 Diesel tuning box

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

speederuption

Re: C5 Diesel tuning box

Post by speederuption »

Hi
DickieG i work for the biggest remapping company in the world who tune cars & motorbikes (formula 1, moto GP, Nasa car)
thats just a little sample of what they do.
Anyone have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.
many thanx
Gary
DickieG wrote:Like Jim I'm very wary of tuning boxes, firstly you must inform your insurance company as they are visible and in the event of a serious prang your car will be impounded and if a tuning box is found then you've given your insurance company the perfect get out clause for paying out.

As for remaps how do you know that the remap is a proper professional job and not just a disguised adjustment of fuel pressure?

Paul you say you are happy with 43 mpg, I'd be horrified and be getting out my Lexia if my HDi had such poor consumption figures.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

citroenxm wrote:Richard...

43mpg.. WITH a boot FULL of my tools ALL the time!! So thats a bit of extra weight... plus 200k on original injecotrs, Im heavy right footed, where Im often sitting at 75 - 80mph.. or stop start driving...I dont accellerate lightly either.

Considering my old SX TD Xantia struggled 40mpg, I find 43mpg good. Thats an average though, so she could be dooing 45 plus but not all the time..
If you were getting 40mpg out of your TD that's only 3mpg less than I've had out of my two Td's, both my present and previous HDi (150k miles) are heavier estates carrying a fair load of my own tools, hmm,,,,,
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

speederuption wrote:Hi
DickieG i work for the biggest remapping company in the world who tune cars & motorbikes (formula 1, moto GP, Nasa car)
thats just a little sample of what they do.
Excellent, what do they do for an HDi Xantia remap exactly as in what is that they do in the remap? Adjust the timing, temperature sensor readings, fuel pressure etc?
I'm not trying to be obstructive just trying to get to the bottom of what exactly is done on a remap, I'm tempted to use a spare ECU and download a remap from the internet onto it using a Galetto cable as a test.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
speederuption

Post by speederuption »

Hi
DickieG on a remap they alter everything so the car runs perfect as i do economy or sports remap
it all depends on what you are looking for.
You can try and do it that way but i wouldn't advice it as they maybe corrupt files and may damage your ecu or engine.

many thanx
Gary
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Ok think I am in the same mind if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

Hi,
I've tried both a remap and a tuning box on many different Hdi cars. I first tried a PSI tuning box that came with my fathers Xantia HDI; it was set on the lowest power setting which didn’t seem to make much difference. I transferred it to a Xsara Hdi estate (90BHP) and increased to power setting to max, in this application it transformed the car.

My previous black Xantia Hdi (110BHP) felt a little low on power and I purchased the 110BHP PSI tuning box from e-bay to try, the car didn’t like box and would cut out at high torque settings. Move forward to my current C5 estate (MK1 110BHP) and the PSI tuning box transformed the car, however the problem this time is that my insurance company would not insure me with the tuning box fitted (Be careful when fitting these boxes to tell your insurance company, you might not be in a position to remove it after an accident!).

I've subsequently had the C5 remapped and although the power delivery is smoother, the tuning box felt much better. That said I have no idea of any issues that fitting the box would have to the car long term, although it had no problems with the MOT.

Sadly missing the C5 at the moment being in America, driving two big V8's that seem to need more work than my Citroen’s!

Regards,

Howie
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

The insurance point is very important. If your insurance is invalid, it's not just your car that won't be covered, it's all the third party risks - including personal injuries. Aside from that, I suspect the manufacturers now plan a 'new model upgrade path' before a car is launched, and launch it with plenty of margin on power output: the C5 III went from 138 to 160 bhp at the press of a button, I doubt many bottom end mechanical bits were changed, so earlier 2.0 diesels should have plenty of scope before reliablity get to be a problem.

Howie - I hired a Mecury Grand Marquis in New England last year, essentially the same as your Crown Victoria. If I'm in the USA I want a proper American Car if at all possible (and eat pancakes for breakfast, drink weak coffee and sprinkle bright pink crunchy bits on my salad) The handbook had a wonderful supplement for the police version of the Crown Vic: where to safely carry your flares and shotgun cartridges (do not leave loose in trunk, always fix box above axle), and gems like if the outer door panel is penetrated by gunshot you must get the bullet proof shield inspected and replaced. Pity they closed the factory - Lincoln Town Car, Mercury Grand Marquis and Ford Crown Victoria - essential NY Taxi and Police Car - all gone. Our NY cab from hotel to Penn Central was a yellow Toyota people carrier of some kind - ITS JUST NOT RIGHT!
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

I like the remap option to be honest, you just have to find the right place I guess.

Richard
I know what you mean about the Crown Vic though, I love driving it as they are solid big cars. Its bigger than my C5 estate and it did a UK 28MPG on a round trip to San Diego from Las Vegas, not too bad for a 4.6L. :twisted: It's funny sometimes cars slow down when they see you, a number of police forces have purcashed extra Crown Vic's as they have stopped being produced now to tie them over for a couple of years. For some reason there does not seem to be an alternative that the police like?
There are still plenty around Vegas though that are used as Taxis although most are the LPG/propane models, oh and the police still have a few here also.

One thing is certain though I'm hooked on cruise control and auto boxes; on my return to the UK I'm going to fit cruise to the C5 and purchase something with both as the family car.

Richard_C wrote:The insurance point is very important. If your insurance is invalid, it's not just your car that won't be covered, it's all the third party risks - including personal injuries. Aside from that, I suspect the manufacturers now plan a 'new model upgrade path' before a car is launched, and launch it with plenty of margin on power output: the C5 III went from 138 to 160 bhp at the press of a button, I doubt many bottom end mechanical bits were changed, so earlier 2.0 diesels should have plenty of scope before reliablity get to be a problem.

Howie - I hired a Mecury Grand Marquis in New England last year, essentially the same as your Crown Victoria. If I'm in the USA I want a proper American Car if at all possible (and eat pancakes for breakfast, drink weak coffee and sprinkle bright pink crunchy bits on my salad) The handbook had a wonderful supplement for the police version of the Crown Vic: where to safely carry your flares and shotgun cartridges (do not leave loose in trunk, always fix box above axle), and gems like if the outer door panel is penetrated by gunshot you must get the bullet proof shield inspected and replaced. Pity they closed the factory - Lincoln Town Car, Mercury Grand Marquis and Ford Crown Victoria - essential NY Taxi and Police Car - all gone. Our NY cab from hotel to Penn Central was a yellow Toyota people carrier of some kind - ITS JUST NOT RIGHT!
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone