What's Your Mileage?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

1989 BX TD Estate - purchased nearly 4 years ago with 163 000 miles on it - now reading 190 000. Running better than ever and thinking about keeping it for another few years. we are however thinking of getting a caravan and they seem to have put on loads of weight recently and an 85% weight ratio seems to be thought desireable for safe towing. So 1100 kg doesn't get you much of a van and I may have to look at something heavier - CX DTR Turbo? - XM's don't seem to have big enough diesel engines. Xantia 2.1 or HDi 110 estate is another possibility as they are about quarter of a tonne heavier if that is enough. Problem is that they are all much larger than my BX and I don't really want that as I live in the middle of town and the BX is plenty big enough to park.
jeremy
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Jeremy - My van is 1100Kgs fully loaded, and for several years I towed it with my BXTZD Estate. With its kerb weight of just 1077Kgs, I was running at slightly more than 100% weight ratio. Power-wise, the BX coped easily on the route across Spain and down to the Costa del Sol. It was only on the down hill stretches that one became aware of the weight issue.
shaunthesheep
My Cars:

Post by shaunthesheep »

xantia, 8v, L reg, now got 145k on the clock & still running sweet
dom
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

John
It will probably be alright. On starting to look while on holiday I was amazed by the weight of new vans. when i last had anything to do with them I seem to remember that the weights were approx 1 cwt (50kg) per 1ft (300mm) body length. They now seem to be half as much again which got me thinking but with care and a stabiliser its probably ok.
My last towing was of empty horse trailers with a series 3 XJ6 which would attain highly illegal speeds and was as steady as a rock whatever I did with it. This is the brute force approach to the subject and I don't really want to pay Jaguar fuel bills for obvious reasons. I have a bar on the BX and think what I'll do is suck it and see. I don't anticipate much mileage with the caravan so probably won't have any problems.
Jeremy
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

You're right - they're getting heavier all the time. I've had my present van with its max weight of 1100Kgs for 10 years but it's modern-day equivalent weighs in at nearly 1300Kgs.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Mines a 1989 BX17RD,base spec model, with 199,880 miles on the clock.When I bought it it had 147,000 on it, but came with a service history and tons of paperwork ( I am only the 3rd owner ); Surprisingly its completely rust free, although two MOT's ago it failed on rusty hydraulic pipes so I had a fun weekend changing them,but the interior is barely worn (!!!), the dash squeaks and rattles, and the speedo clicks, which it only started doing after a new cable. Its also red, so unless its waxed with monotonous regularity, the paint is flat as a pancake within days. The only other thing to pack up was the water pump, and I have done the spheres all round.
The motor runs sweet as a nut but I change the oil every 3000, and the cambelt every 30000, and have done on every car I have had. I have found thgat this seems to make the most difference to how long a car will run for, and I expect at least another 200,000 out of it. It takes about 12-15 seconds to rise up in the morning from bein totally flat.
With regard to towing a caravan, dont bother!!! Just get a good tent instead, lighter weight, more space, and doesnt clutter up your garden. All you need is a trailer or roofbox. My dad has caravans which just get heavier and heavier, and as a result so do the towcars.
He now has to use a Shogun to drag his latest oversized tupperware monstrosity around; when he got his first one he used a 1300 Avenger!!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Have tent and have just spent 2 most enjoyable weeks in it! Gear all getting larger - nearly had to make 2 return trips with BX estate! xantia's not the answer - apparently slightly smaller inside!
Jeremy
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Previous/present:
89 BX 16RS - bought at alleged 30k - scrapped at 140k (pipes + rotten interior)
88 BX16RS estate 114k indicated miles (probably more - about 25k of that in my or ex's ownership. Been standing last 3 years but run regularly - valve stem seals done just before went off-road. About to get rid of due to house move - free to anyone in South Wales who's interested.
91 BX19TGD - somewhere between 150k and 160k (speedo changed somewhere in the fifties - would have to check the bill). Run-in nicely.
93 BX19TXD - 233k (was previously a taxi owned by a member of this forum). Unfortunately the rustiest BX I have ever owned!
David
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

'93b XM TD12 (delivered 3th Dec '93). In my possesion since new (1st company car then bought free). Has done 487 946 km, looking forward to breaking the half million km before she's 10 years old. Still on original clutch, engine, gearbox, rear wheel bearings, A/C compressor, all hydraulics and a lot more i can't be bothered to mention (or can't remeber). Have changed front wheel bearings once, front discs (once), bottom ball joints and drop arm joints inumerable times, alternator brushed twice, both front strut upper mountings (started rusting away), front drive shafts changed under garauntee due to faulty hardening of inner joints, interior heat exchanger also replaced under garauntee after it split in Belgium, head gasket after a stupid hose blew at high speed, wiper moter (last week), rear door stay (l.h.r). A few items have needed attention/repair: interior fan motor, l.h.f window winder motor, automatic dipped beam system etc.
She still does 6.5 - 6.7 litres per 100km (= 42 - 43 mpg) and over here in Sweden diesel cost the extravegant amount of 7.3 SEK/l (= 55p l). Which is a good reason for keeping her going!
//NiSk
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Suppose I had better join in! BX 19 TGD break (estate). 154,000 and due for its second clutch. Head gasket at 148,000 fully serviced since. Doseur valve at 153,000. Well tinkered with and Quite up together. 59 MPG and great comfort so I reckon it will stay on the drive for some time yet.
franciscolunn
My Cars:

Post by franciscolunn »

Alans in Aussy,
I know this is not a chat room but i have loads of relatives in Melbourne(Greeks) and am planning to come over next year for extended stay(1 year+) ,sell all my cits and buy another over there, i know aussy is massive but who knows you might be around somewhere.
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

1983 19RD (owned 1986 - 1993) 170,000 - sold to a mate who also sold it on - he tells me he still sees it around!
1991 19TGD 147,000 - still got it but if anyone would like it it's available - cheap to good home! Ask for details!
1993 Xantia Turbo D (owned 1996 to 2002, wife's car) 90,000
2000 Xantia HDi 60,000 (wife's car)
2003 Berlingo HDi 1400 miles. I love it but wish it had THAT suspension!
As to caravan weights - yes they are high and isn't the reason that they keep sticking in loads of stuff you don't need? Do you really need an oven? Or central heating? Or an electric flush on the loo? Think we will stick to our 1993 Avondale - light and the Xantia still out-accellerates many a solo car much to their dismay and my delight!
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by franciscolunn</i>

Alans in Aussy,
I know this is not a chat room but i have loads of relatives in Melbourne(Greeks) and am planning to come over next year for extended stay(1 year+) ,sell all my cits and buy another over there, i know aussy is massive but who knows you might be around somewhere.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Take a word of advice & check the cost of bringing the car over as it should be a lot less than buying one out here.
(eg) From our local "Trading Post."
"Citroen BX Tri 1990, Very well maintained at DS Motors. Sunroof, electric windows, air conditioning, alloy wheels, tow bar, nice and tidy, #M30604 $7990.00"
"Citroen Xantia EXCLUSIVE 1999 BLUE Sedan, Auto, 45000kms, air con, power steer, central lock, CD, power windows & mirrors, cruise, log book, airbag, ABS brakes, alloy mags, leather Elect seats., $24995.00"
Scarey hey??
BTW, if you get anywhere near Fraser Island, I look at it through my loungeroom window.[8D]
Alan S [:D]
franciscolunn
My Cars:

Post by franciscolunn »

Alans
Can't believe your prices just sold a '92 mint BX GTI for $1200 so i'll think about your advice and check out shipping costs,I would bring a BX TZD that i have my eye on if all goes well.thanks for the input.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Without sidetracking & hijacking this thread too much, I'd suggest a good car with moderate mileage & well serviced before you leave; that way, you also don't have to worry about having to deal with our cowboys that do the servicing out here.
Our parts prices would be about 4 to 5 times the price you pay over there in many instances and the labour charges for someone who hits the button marked "panic" when they see a double chevron is ridiculous. The number of good Cit mechanics in the whole country you can count on one hand & still have fingers spare.[:0][B)]
It would require a compliancing to resell, which shouldn't be a problem as diesel BXs weren't sold here but diesel Pugs were so there's the yardstick.
I could see you possibly selling & breaking even on the cost of the car & the cartage which makes it real cheap car hire.
Alan S