front discs and pads time !! ??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Re: front discs and pads time !! ??

Post by Old-Guy »

CitroJim wrote: Now me, and the way I drive, I have never worn a set of pads right out.. Make of that what you will...
The only time I have gone down the the metal backing was on a company car (25-30k a year and 12k services). Not long after that, back in the late 80's, I traded in my ex-company MG Maestro for a new diesel Montego - much less fun and much slower off the mark but needing an estate and paying my own fuel bills for the same sort of annual mileage, the difference between <30 and >45mpg justified the extra cost of a diesel... Anyway, the point is that I was surprised to find that journey times (100+miles each way) were unaffected, whether mostly motorway or cross country.

I suspect that it's not just the style of driving but also the type of driving. Our Xantia clocks up the bulk of its miles on the M5 - stopping from '70' in the length of a slip road gets the pads really warm or losing 20mph with the ABS kicking when someone changes lanes without looking or signalling (in time), takes a lot more of the pads (and discs) than a large number of normal uses of the brakes at town speeds.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)