Safrane vs XM - Any 605 owners around?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Re: Safrane vs XM - Any 605 owners around?

Post by robert_e_smart »

The XM didn't really get any of that stuff. There were a few multiplexed cars sold in France that had memory seats, and some of the stuff that was introduced on facelift Xantias like the auto wipers and lights. But only a handful.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Re:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

addo wrote:Err... I have a PRV-powered 605 on the road. Last one sold in Australia (according to popular tales) - not the last sent here. An intriguing relic.

Any and all issues it has, are related to past abuse, mainly at the hands of a car dealer in Queensland.
So that dealer was not a careful/one owner :wink: type?
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Citroenmad wrote:
R9UKE wrote: I know Chris, I feel really guilty about that. I'll have to do a massive update. I SORNed the Mégane to properly experience some true tat, so the quantity and changing of cars has increased slightly :) Mum is in a Mégane but still not happy - we're thinking 1007 next. You had one - anything to share?
Looking forward to the update!

Is your mums Megane an automatic? What doesn't she like about it?

The 1007 is a decent little car, its very heavy so you really need to avoid the 1.4 but the 1.6 is fairly lively once going. The 1.6 is sensodrive only and I think you have already experienced them for yourself.

They are quite comfortable, quite spacious (boot is small but the seats slide forward to give a bigger load area), they seat 4 in good comfort and are very cheap to buy and well specc'd. Ours was the basic Dolce but it still had what you would want in a car. AC, CD player, trip computer etc. It drove ok, the steering was very direct, the brakes sharp but the ride was a little firm. Turning circle wasnt great for a small car. I found in the wet it would push wide very easily and if going round a roundabout quickly you would have to watch it didnt change gear as the back would step out. Not a bad thing if your expecting it but in a tall car like that its not ideal.

The doors, well they are an interesting feature, a gimmick really. If parked on a hill you could either not get out or not close the door depending on which way the slope was. But they were a bonus in tight spaces and got a lot of attention and comments. Especially as the doors can be opened/closed by buttons on the key.

It might suit your mum if she likes them, I actually like the look of them as they are very different but its an aquired taste. They can be picked up for very little and are good cars for the money, very solid feeling to drive and a bit different from the norm.
The doors seem to have a strange idea about how they should function.

Is the problem brought on by the electrics not working properly, sensors etc?

How unusual in a French car! :wink:
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

I'm quickly being put off the 1007 -

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
French is best.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Driving along with sliding doors open takes me back to driving Transit's and Sherpa's in the summer which was the next best thing to a convertible, mind you unlike the 1007 video I did it out of choice :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

ACTIVE8 wrote: The doors seem to have a strange idea about how they should function.

Is the problem brought on by the electrics not working properly, sensors etc?

How unusual in a French car! :wink:
The fact the doors dont work on hills is not a fault, but it is programmed that way! If the hill is too steep the car will not function its doors, or it might but the doors wont close or open. They are extremely heavy (ive tried lifting one) and so the motor probably isnt enough to drag the doors uphill.

The girl who bought ours had been to test drive another 1007 at the local dealer. Its doors would not stop opening and closing, they only drive it around the carpark, still she did buy one, ours. :lol:

Often they need adjusting ot greasing, if that guy in the vid pushed the back of the door inwards as it was about closed im sure it would have closed. Rarely can you not get them shut if they do go faulty.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Stekelly
My Cars: 2022 Trafic work van
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
98 Xantia Activa (briefly)
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Post by Stekelly »

I miss my Safranes :( The Phase 1 2.0 was underpowered though. The 2nd one was a 2.5 auto as above. Mine had the inflatable seats too (ergonomic pack or somesuch) though I did find the row of buttons on the seat made them a bit tighter and less confortable than the other one.

Incidentally I have a few bits in the attic I bought as spares at the time if anyone has a need. I know I have the climate control unit from the dash. It has the buttons for the heated front screen. Have a set of alloy centre caps too but from what I can see in the pics those dont have any.

I have a box of stuff I accquired too like press packs and the likes that I collect. Must start one for the Xantia to go with it.

Could see myself in a new one :) http://www.drivearabia.com/renault/2011 ... -5-v6.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Really must get up to you Luke for a mooch aroudn that Avantime at some stage. I really want one. I hate being poor.:(
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

Had no idea you had Safranes! Heard a lot about the 2.0 being under powered. I'd like a Phase 1 3.0 V6 at some point, it's just finding one that's the problem.

The Ergonomic Pack is really rare... is this Safrane of yours still lurking in Dublin somewhere? The fuel consumption out of mine was pretty poor. It was sitting at 21 around Belfast, got up to 26 with a jaunt out into the sticks. Not great when the 540i is sitting at 17 around town!

If you have a Safrane wiper stalk, you have a buyer here. The one in that car was faulty. Let me know what else you have as I'm sure Norman could do with a few bits for it.

I doubt the UK will ever see that new Safrane, especially with the 3.5 V6!

Yes, you're welcome up anytime. Once it's back and MOT ready I'll drop you a pm and you can take it a cruise around Belfast :)
French is best.
Stekelly
My Cars: 2022 Trafic work van
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
98 Xantia Activa (briefly)
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Post by Stekelly »

Yeah its 4 years now since I sold it, the 2 litre was about 8 months earlier. I only had th 2 litre for about 2 months when the 2.5 came up and I jumped at it. I bought it in early 06 and it had been owned from new by a high court judge.

Consumption used to hover around 19-21 all the time.

I really do kick myself every time I think out the car. Makes me very reluctant to sell any car I like anymore.

Looks lie it is arounf alright, this is what I got off the transaction report on motortax.ie . Dotn know if I'd like to see it again in case its in bits.

Vehicle Registration Number

97D97
Vehicle Details
RENAULT / SAFRANNE
Change Of Vehicle Ownership
Transferred to an Individual on :04/11/2011
Notified on :14/11/2011
Vehicle Registration Certificate
Most recent Vehicle Registration Certificate issued on : 16/11/2011

I'm half tempted to scrape a few quid together and buy this, but I've no room for it. http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2890142" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

Bloody hell! If that came up in Belfast for the £920 he's asking I'd jump at it. If you do buy it I'll take it off your hands at any point. Then when you regret it you can have it back! Get rid of a Xantia!!
French is best.
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

R9UKE wrote:Bloody hell! If that came up in Belfast for the £920 he's asking I'd jump at it. If you do buy it I'll take it off your hands at any point. Then when you regret it you can have it back! Get rid of a Xantia!!
Hear Hear!! I would sell the Xantias and run about in the Vel Satis, no VRT to pay, probably similar rate of tax too!

The New Safrane looks like a Lexus or such like, but at least it doesn't try and mimic the Germans like Citroen. It must have something to do with Renault's Japanese Connection.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive