Xantia Radiator fans

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jodyone

Re: Xantia Radiator fans

Post by Jodyone »

Well you were right again Jim- I bridged the contacts above- nothing happened. Then I hit the left fan motor with a hammer and lo, it started creakily moving. A few more taps and it was spinning rustily away. It doesn't reliably get going on its own, but is getting better.

The right fan may have started momentarily, but I couldn't get any more out of it. I think it must be getting power, however, becuase the fans are wired in series- so is that fan motor duff?

Eventually I got a bit confident with my electro-mastery, and managed to blow one of the big 40watt fuses by the battery. Are they easily sourced? I couldn't get either to start on the A/C, but that could still be an A/C problem, no? I'm planning to leave it for a while, and maybe look out for some fans from a scrapyard.
2006 C6 Exclusive, 2.7 HDi
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent stuff Jody :-D Pleased you've at least found the basic cause of the problem....

Those fuses are called Maxi-Fuses and should be available from any good factors I would have thought or failing that, any scrappy should be able to provide. They're not very commonly available as normally they don't give a lot of bother...

When you come to it, there's tricks to removing the fan motors. The screw that hold the blades on is a left-hand thread and the motors themselves are held in the frame with three 10mm nuts. There's very little room between them and the aircon condenser and the best way to get to them is to grind flats onto a small 10mm 1/4" drive socket so that the socket can be turned by an open-ended spanner.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

Definately one cool Motor CitroJim I just tried the ecu reset procedure which calls for the car to be left to warm up till the fans come on. My car was warm when I started the reset.. I restarted after the procedure at 80C an hour later with rags stuffed betweek the rads and grilles it was only just over 90C.. in the end I had to give up waitng for the fans to come on!!
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream