Laguna's......what's the do?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: Laguna's......what's the do?

Post by Xaccers »

House keys are kept seperate for me, having 3 cars I'd be forever removing a car key from them.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote:House keys are kept seperate for me, having 3 cars I'd be forever removing a car key from them.
Just do as I do and have a set of house keys for each set of car keys...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

Too much effort there. I have a bunch of house keys and then the individual car key with just one keyring. Easy and neat.
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Chris570 wrote:Too much effort there..
Lightweight!!! The only effort involved was a trip to our local lockkie and to extract a few beer tokens from the wallet to pay for the keys...

Now what's difficult about that?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote:
Lightweight!!! The only effort involved was a trip to our local lockkie and to extract a few beer tokens from the wallet to pay for the keys...

Now what's difficult about that?
Already had to pay out once for an extra set of keys as the letting agency only gave us one lot, don't see why I should buy another two sets for the letting agency ;)
Plus I only use two pockets, one has my pass/wallet in it, the other has my phone/car key.
If I had house keys in there too it'd scratch up my phone, maybe not the gorilla glass of the screen, but the body of the phone would definitely get scratched. Another advantage of the Renault keycard, it's flat so it takes up very little pocket space.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

CitroJim wrote:
Lightweight!!!
With keys I am, I was pleased when I retired as it meant handing in my locker key and had one less to carry around, the sheer weight of that locker key and it's effect upon my life just cannot be underestimated, no wonder I put my back out :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

:)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

DickieG wrote:Shame about the turbo problem on Laguna 2's as they look quite attractive and can have a great spec, the present Laguna looks like a cross eyed blob of blancmange.

As for keys I hate carrying any more than the keys I need at the time so all of my car keys are individual keys, why carry all that weight/clutter when you don't need to? Incidentally having a heavy bunch of keys hanging on the ignition lock isn't a particularly good idea as it causes additional strain on the barrel which can cause fractures, I recall reading serval tales of Clio's suffering from this problem a few years ago when Dawn had one.
I have one house key and one car key. Seems plenty to me :)
I leave them in the car to save carrying them around.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

:shock: Have you guys got subscriptions to Which House Key magazine? :-D
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

lexi wrote::shock: Have you guys got subscriptions to Which House Key magazine? :-D
Did we go off topic? :roll: :lol:
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

lexi wrote::shock: Have you guys got subscriptions to Which House Key magazine? :-D
:rofl:
Citroenmad wrote: Did we go off topic? :roll: :lol:
No more than usual :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

lexi wrote:These diesel cars seem to be so good on paper.
Renault/ Nissan engines with 150bhp from a 2litre :shock:
The same engine in the Renault Trafic?

What to watch for and not to like?..from the latest to the 5 or 6 yr olds please .

Anyone?
Ok back on topic, firstly my experience of the 2.5 DCI engine which unfortunatly i own, its rough under load under 1500rpm, smokes and clatters when you get past 3k at wot like all dervs though and in the 40k ive done its eaten 7 injector sealing rings, some before and some after the new cylinder head had to be fitted, a turbo, an injector and a crank oil seal that trashed the clutch, dmf was dead after 10k with me, thats 50k on the clock.

Also despite having no turbo lag to speak of it gets exactly to the digit the same economy and performance as my old di transit which strangly in the 120k i done only ate one turbo and no bits of the injection or main engine assembly.

As you can tell i may not be giving a glowing reference of modern derv engines from my experience :lol: .

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Ive limited experience of Renaults, the few we had as family cars had their faults which were the main reasons for getting rid of them. Our 51 plate Scenic RX4, bought at 6 months old, had the worst brakes ive ever used. Fine for normal driving but in an emergency they had nothing more to give, only luck escaped us having two accidents. We drove a few more and they were all like this, the petrols anyway, the diesels have brakes. Ive since heard of a few RX4s being involved in accidents due to them not stopping and the dealer did admit that there is a fault with the brakes on the 2.0 16v RX4 but Renault had no plans to make a solution.

That was traded in, after 3 years, for a 1.6 16v Megane (the one with the big ass), again it was 6 months old and a nice car if you didn't want to drive it. This seemed a faulty one as others I drove didnt drive like this on. It would either stall or the revs would fly around when trying to pull away and you would do wheel spins at every junction. We got a good few people to drive it and all had the same issues. Same problem with the brakes, either off or very much on. My cousin had the same model Megane and it didnt drive like that one.

The Megane only lasted two weeks and it got traded in for a ScenicII 1.9DCi of a similar age. This was ok for a while, had an annoying problem with the MAF which the dealer was slow at fixing and gave it a dangerous feature in that it wouldnt pull away with any go at all. The worst thing was it would scrub through a full set of Michelin tyres in under 18K miles. The rears wore out first if anything. The dealer checked the alignment, and although it was toeing in by a vast amount it was within their set specs and so they didnt replace the axel. The clutch started to groan at about 20K miles and the gearbox got very crunchy (but not worth replacing according to Renault) at around 22K miles. By about 25K miles, and having heard of the horror stories the 1.9DCi might have in store that one went the jurney too.

So nothing serious but just annoying things which couldnt be fixed. A real shame, as all were very nice cars in their own way, just with design flaws and serious faults looming.

We had a LagunaIII Tourer for a week when our C5 estate got crashed into, it was a 150bhp Dynamique TomTom and really impressed me. Drove very very well, quite sporty actually, handled great and I really liked the spec of it too. The engine was more economical than the 2.0 138 HDi in the C5 but the boot was very small compared to the estate C5 and it wasnt quite as refined. Id buy a LagunaIII DCi, they make a cracking value car.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v »

The words Renault Laguna II & the best car we have ever had don't seem to crop up that much but ours has been a fantastic car , purchased from my wife's company when it came of lease after three years at 96k . We paid extra for a warranty on the car and this covered the replacement turbo at 98k , other than that and rear subframe bushes (£160 fitted) this car has been great . It's had the odd little problem with the tailgate locking ( corroded connecter in release button £34 ) I cannot fault this car . Sadly it's time to sell her on shortly after 5 1/2 yrs and 37k and a workmate is buying it in a couple of weeks . The replacement will more than likely be a Laguna III 2.0 dci 150 bhp in Dynamique S spec or maybe an initiale if one can be found , I shall be very sad to see the car go just as when we sold our 2nd best car ( 2.1 Td sx Ph2 Xantia )

Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

Right, I'm late to this, but I'm glad as there's plenty of stuff to mop up.

First of all, you're talking about the 2.0 dCi, so that means you're looking at the facelifted Laguna at the oldest:

Renault learned lessons from the earlier Laguna II and so stepped things up for this car a lot more than people think. ALL key cars now attach to your keys, whether the car has the Hands Free Renault Card or not. Gadgets that were standard on most early cars that caused problems are now reserved for higher spec models (tyre pressure sensors etc).

The 2.0 dCi has an exceptional reputation compared to the 1.9 and 2.2. I've heard of NO turbo failures or complete self destruction, just the odd blocked EGR rubbish. It is one Renault diesel engine I would actually recommend.

The facelift Laguna also got the electronic parking brake on most models, and trim, quality and overall fit and finish feels better.

Watch out for "Navigation" run out models featuring the excellent Carminat system - but GPS aerials fail.

Electric windows are still a big problem, test them all.

Lagunas are beautiful cars to be in and drive, most of the poor reputation comes from diesel turbo issues and early electrical gremlins. I can honestly say my Laguna V6 was one of the most all round impressive cars I've owned, and I'm dying for another!

The Laguna III is a better car again. Sold in small numbers due to the reputation of the old one. But anyone who gave them a chance seems to have been pleased that they did. It was the car to introduce Renaults annoying warning beeps and chimes to replace spoken messages from the voice synthesizer. Seats feel firmer and not as comfortable as old Lagunas. Great looking cars from the front, not so great from the rear!

I'd say if you could get a 2.0 dCi Initiale facelift Laguna II you'd have yourself a beautiful car for not much cash!
French is best.