C5. Drivers side headlight not working cops stopped me

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

boristhespie
My Cars:

Re: C5. Drivers side headlight not working cops stopped me

Post by boristhespie »

THis was about 10ish at night. Thing was they followed me throughout the entire town. If I was that dangerous then surely they'd have pulled me over. The then got the torch out and both had a look at tyres. I had MOT 2 weeks prior so I knew everythign was okay. What gaulled me was a sarky attitude of cop 1. He even when telling us to walk said you'd better get this repaired tomorrow to which his partner said. There are no garages open tomorrow. Indeed the garages were shut yesterday when I went down.

I was pulled over on the islands once. I had the temerity to overtake the cop when getting off of the ferry. I was catching another ferry so proceeded to overtake (As did cars in front) he was weaving in and out overtaking behind. I knew he was onto me so my wife and I watched the speedo (55mph) and everywhere we were overtaking. Anyway he couldn't take it anymore so hauled me over. His opening line was "do you have radar" to which I replied "eh what do you mean" he went balistic. Started having ago until mymiled mannered wife leant across and said "we never went above 60" he then started to ask if I felt it apporpriate to overtake at a junction. Now this was one a mountina bog with no roads other than the one I was on so I said there was no junction. To which my mild mannered wife confirmed.

He was stooshied. but in a hell of a rage. He gave me a ticket to report to the police station. When I walked in the policeman who we knew said "oh god he's not still handing these out is he? Just forget it. He has a problem". This was his colleague. He then told us he was a failed Sandhurst wannabee. So the army instinct was still there. I just thought muppet.

I know police have ajob to to but on too many occassions I've found what they want to do is rather selective.
C'est pas possible!
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

It p***** me off how many vehicles one sees with a headlight not working, but what p***** me off all the more is that car manufacturers are allowed to sell cars where it's not possible to change a bulb at the roadside. How can we comply with the law about having the car's lights working, when car manufacturers are sell products not fit for purpose. Grrrrrrrrrrrh.

BTW, Happy New Year to all!
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Not another thread with Police bashing war stories, I was driving along when, why don't they nick proper criminals, yawn :roll:

A car with a bulb out is an offence so if anything the Plod were doing Boris a favour by not reporting him for the offence, if they really wanted to be a nuisance to him they could have put a prohibition notice on the car making it illegal to move it without at least two wheels being lifted off the ground and then requiring a further examination at an MOT station at Boris's expense. Yes it's not the most serious of crimes but try telling that to the relative of a pedestrian killed by a vehicle with a bulb out as I can guarantee they will be bashing the ears of anyone willing to listen to them about the dangers of vehicles with non functioning lights.

So what if the Police were behind Boris for a while before they stopped him, is there a law saying that Police can only stop a car within the first 15 seconds they are following it? How about they just happened to be going in the same direction then something caught their attention (such as the non functioning headlight) and they decided to have a word? What is sinister about that?

Why haven't the Police prosecuted the yobbos causing mayhem local to Boris? More than likely down to one word called evidence, did anyone actually witness any individual commit an act that is a criminal offence and is the witness willing to attend court and give evidence to that effect as without that evidence the Police don't have a case.

Why do Police stop car's, particularly late at night? Well the car may have just been stolen with the owner unaware and as most stolen car's are only driven for a relatively short period of time just after they have been stolen and a lot of stolen goods/drugs are moved around by vehicles, it's by stopping cars and talking to the occupants that crime is detected, anyone got a better suggestion? Oh and 10 pm at night around Christmas/New Year, slight possibility of the driver having been drinking alcohol?

Why do Police get sarky? Put yourself in the Police Officers position, you stop a car for whatever reason and are met with resistance from the person stopped, what would you do, say "Sorry to trouble you I'll let you go on your way as you don't like being stopped", get real :roll: Police have a duty to detect crime it doesn't happen by magic and when people get defensive there is often a reason behind it. It never ceased to amaze me how often I'd legitimately stop a car then get all manner of abuse from the occupants then find that whilst they didn't have stolen property/drugs with them the car they were driving had a defect, er hello, the words, brain, use, think about it, come to mind. Did I ever get pleasure out of reporting someone who's just been obnoxious to me? Certainly not :^o

Whenever Police carried out "meet the local residents" to see what they wanted their local Police to concentrate on, guess what the top subjects were time after time, no not burglary, motor vehicle theft, theft from motor vehicles or yobbos in the high street at night, it was parking and speeding motorists, I kid you not. The irony of one of these meetings is that the head of the local council (Harefield, driving a Reliant Robin no less) got nicked for speeding one week later in a speed trap set up in answer to his own complaint :lol:

In any job employing thousands there are always going to be a few individuals lacking in the personality department, but anyone thinking that just a quiet word will sort out anything but the most serious of crimes is living in a dream world that disappeared decades ago, I used to do my best to avoid officially arresting youths getting up to 'mischief', nothing serious just kids being kids until time after time I'd take them home for their parents to deal with them directly to then be met by all manner of abuse from the parents that I was picking on them, no prizes for guessing what I did after that happened a few times. No doubt many parents I later dealt with then accused me of being too officious. Just a couple of weeks ago my wife came home from work (works in a Police control room) grinning like a Cheshire cat after a Father complained about Police taking his son home, when Police did checks on the Father it turned out he was wanted on warrant and got arrested as soon as he stepped into the Police Station to complain :lol:

The fact of the matter is that the public get the Police Force they ask for, sound strange? Go back to the G20 protests in London where there was outrage at Police brutality to the push on the news seller who died and the female protester being slapped around the face by the Sergeant using his gloves, both of these Officers were/are being prosecuted.

Now go forward to the recent riots, why do you think that Police stood back and watched the rioters, would you go in hard to stop them rioting knowing full well that if you do you are very likely to get prosecuted,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The public can't have it both ways and strangely enough those who shout the loudest complaining about Police have never done the job but are very willing to complain,,,,,,,,,,,,
Last edited by DickieG on 05 Jan 2012, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Wouldn't it be sensible if headlights were fitted with a reserve lamp which could be brought into use by operating a small lever, as are some projectors? Such sensible refinements would be much more useful than many of the gimmicks which are actually provided, but probably wouldn't appeal to many shallow-minded buyers :roll:
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

dnsey wrote:Wouldn't it be sensible if headlights were fitted with a reserve lamp which could be brought into use by operating a small lever, as are some projectors? Such sensible refinements would be much more useful than many of the gimmicks which are actually provided, but probably wouldn't appeal to many shallow-minded buyers :roll:
I like that one, a magazine cartridge of spare bulbs for each light :idea:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The most sensible thing of all would be, as already stated, bulbs that are easy to change. How difficult can it be? I understand there's some cars that need bumper removal to perform this basically routine task. Crazy.

Richard, a well-balanced post you put there sir and it goes a long way to explaining why some of our boys in blue are perceived to have an attitude. I guess if you deal with ruffians day in and day out then when you come across the odd really genuine pleasant, polite person you are thrown off-kilter...

Going back to my episode many years ago, the one and only time I've ever been pulled over by the constabulary in the UK, although I was a tad miffed I did not show it and did as was asked with the attitude 'If you want me to change a wheel at 01:00 in the morning by the side of the road in the dark then I'll bloody well show you I can do it, so there!'

I guess they were heavily disappointed to discover that I was not as high as a kite on the old happy juice, as clean as a whistle conviction-wise and that the car I was driving was mine and quite legal in every other way...

I can understand they were as miffed as I was... A bit like going to the scrappy and finding the bit you want has already been taken. All that trouble for nothing...

The only time I've knowingly caused a little disquiet to the Police was back in 1986 when lost in a less then salubrious are of Manchester and walked into a nick quietly humming the theme tune from 'Dixon of Dock Green' and greeted them with 'Evenin' All!'

They were good and gave me the necessary directions :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Dippy
My Cars:

Post by Dippy »

Not at all related to this issue - but . the amount of boy racers on the road with one eye shut cannot just be co- incidental ? A young aqquaintance tells us of a local group of yobs who run around both in convoy and ( awkwardly) park up on the roadside where lights are req'd, all with one lamp out - all the same side - often the same side tail lamp out too !, in barely roadworthy vehicles .
Q. Why ?

A. Cos they are looking for some poor unfortunate to run into THEM ( Try proving who's headlamp was defective after an accident - and the perp's are on the correct side of the road ) so they can then falsely claim on their insurance to fund them a replacement vehicle ! neither do they care who they hurt .

I have a Dibble ( a mutal term we jest about) friend who some years ago . lambasted a member of the public for having a total death trap on the roads ( An Austin 1100 with almost none existant sills and rear subrame ) and told him to remove it from the road , scrap it , and that would be the end of the matter .
The same outstanding" Citizen " then made an official written complaint to the Chief Constable over his " arrogant " manner. His career has been stagnant ever since ..........

The Police are always used as political pawns by any incumbent government for their own ends .

I do hope the Iron Lady will soon receive Her Iron _ Coffin award. Evil Bitch.
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

CitroJim wrote: I guess if you deal with ruffians day in and day out then when you come across the odd really genuine pleasant, polite person you are thrown off-kilter...
One such example of that was stopping a group of quaint Travellers, normally a complete nightmare of confrontation, lies and generally very unpleasant behaviour but on this occasion they were English Travellers (from Yorkshire IIRC) they were polite beyond belief and even invited me into their van for a cuppa, they had receipts for everything, serial numbers on their caravans (they insisted I check them :shock: ) and were very nice people indeed, a complete contrast to the normal experience of dealing with (Irish) Travellers, so much so that I almost fell over in disbelief :lol:
CitroJim wrote:The only time I've knowingly caused a little disquiet to the Police was back in 1986 when lost in a less then salubrious are of Manchester and walked into a nick quietly humming the theme tune from 'Dixon of Dock Green' and greeted them with 'Evenin' All!'

I'm surprised they didn't nick you or send you off on a wild goose chase :P
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I haven't had a great deal of interaction with the police but where I have they have always, with one exception, been extremely civil, just doing their jobs.

That one exception was a doozy and the detective was reprimanded and moved to another town.
Dippy
My Cars:

Post by Dippy »

DickieG wrote:
CitroJim wrote: I guess if you deal with ruffians day in and day out then when you come across the odd really genuine pleasant, polite person you are thrown off-kilter...
One such example of that was stopping a group of quaint Travellers, normally a complete nightmare of confrontation, lies and generally very unpleasant behaviour but on this occasion they were English Travellers (from Yorkshire IIRC) they were polite beyond belief and even invited me into their van for a cuppa, they had receipts for everything, serial numbers on their caravans (they insisted I check them :shock: ) and were very nice people indeed, a complete contrast to the normal experience of dealing with (Irish) Travellers, so much so that I almost fell over in disbelief :lol:
CitroJim wrote:The only time I've knowingly caused a little disquiet to the Police was back in 1986 when lost in a less then salubrious are of Manchester and walked into a nick quietly humming the theme tune from 'Dixon of Dock Green' and greeted them with 'Evenin' All!'

I'm surprised they didn't nick you or send you off on a wild goose chase :P
Narthen sithee ere old luv , tha awlus gets a berrer class'r Gypo' in Yorkshire , must bi summat ter do wi drinkin watta !
Bleedin' diddy's , tha can keep em.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

The police seem to be out in force these past few weeks. No doubt due to the start of the month checking for car tax and drink drivers around Christmas time.

The road past where I work has been littered with police cars this week, twice they pulled over a car into our carpark.

We need be on our best behaviours! And keep the car in check, of course.

Seems a bit harsh to make you walk home, as said, I suspect you were ok to pick it up in daylight and take it to a garage? C5Is have their foglights inside the headlights (not low in the bumper like most cars). Ive used them twice when Ive had a headlight out, just to get me home where I changed the bulb.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Dippy wrote:Narthen sithee ere old luv , tha awlus gets a berrer class'r Gypo' in Yorkshire , must bi summat ter do wi drinkin watta !
Bleedin' diddy's , tha can keep em.
Thank heavens for Google translator, good one :lol: :lol: :lol:
Citroenmad wrote:The police seem to be out in force these past few weeks. No doubt due to the start of the month checking for car tax and drink drivers around Christmas time.

The road past where I work has been littered with police cars this week, twice they pulled over a car into our carpark.
More than likely due to a Christmas drink driving campaign still running until say the end of the week, or it could be part of an initiative to bring down crime in the area generally.

As I live just a short distance from a primary route Police ANPR vans are out there on almost a daily basis, only a fool would drive in my area without docs or some other defect with their vehicle, suits me fine long may they continue to be there :-D
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

DickieG wrote:
Citroenmad wrote:The police seem to be out in force these past few weeks. No doubt due to the start of the month checking for car tax and drink drivers around Christmas time.

More than likely due to a Christmas drink driving campaign still running until say the end of the week, or it could be part of an initiative to bring down crime in the area generally.

As I live just a short distance from a primary route Police ANPR vans are out there on almost a daily basis, only a fool would drive in my area without docs or some other defect with their vehicle, suits me fine long may they continue to be there :-D
Very true, im all for road side checks. If you have nothing to hide and a road worthy car, there is nothing to worry about.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Norlander

Post by Norlander »

If you have nothing to hide .... there is nothing to worry about.
Oh yes there is -- the very fact it is demanded of you to prove
to such self-appointed overlords that you "have nothing to hide".

And even more so, the fact that many people seem to accept the situation
as perfectly normal, without noticing that it is part of a one-way ratcheting
towards "presumed guilty unless you can prove otherwise", and the Public
being accountable to the State (or rather, its ruling elite) at all times.
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Norlander wrote:
If you have nothing to hide .... there is nothing to worry about.
Oh yes there is -- the very fact it is demanded of you to prove
to such self-appointed overlords that you "have nothing to hide".

And even more so, the fact that many people seem to accept the situation
as perfectly normal, without noticing that it is part of a one-way ratcheting
towards "presumed guilty unless you can prove otherwise", and the Public
being accountable to the State (or rather, its ruling elite) at all times.
What a load of old tosh, too much listening to rumours and not enough factual information to back up your theory there Norlander. If you had any idea of how the law has changed over the years you'd know that the opposite was true as getting a conviction these days is much harder than it's ever been as there are far more get out clauses these days, go back to the 80's and it was far easier to prove criminal cases, trust me as I know having been there and done it.

The only area where the law has been tightened significantly is making financial seizures from the proceeds of crime and in anti-terrorism, what right minded person would object to that?

What is the problem with being asked to prove that you have the right to be in possession of an article and if so, what do you suggest as an alternative taking into account the need to prevent and detect crime?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH