And-Cuffs

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

First serious quibble with "upgrade" - cannot use cockslap when typing or texting anywhere near so easily as with the old OS.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: And-Cuffs

Post by Xaccers »

Just installing the ICS upgrade for my Sensation :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote:Just installing the ICS upgrade for my Sensation :)
So, do you now have to keep in in the freezer when not using it? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love the names they come up with for Linux-based OSs :)

Still eagerly awaiting for Ubuntu Petulant Penguin to be released...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote:
Xac wrote:Just installing the ICS upgrade for my Sensation :)
So, do you now have to keep in in the freezer when not using it? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love the names they come up with for Linux-based OSs :)

Still eagerly awaiting for Ubuntu Petulant Penguin to be released...
Petulant Penguin is quite apt considering the problems I've had with the current version!

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote: Petulant Penguin is quite apt considering the problems I've had with the current version!
Ahh, that would have been Obtuse Ocelot then...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote:
Xac wrote: Petulant Penguin is quite apt considering the problems I've had with the current version!
Ahh, that would have been Obtuse Ocelot then...
More like Obstinate!

DIY sphere tool
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Well it looks like O2 may have rushed their ICS update as the phone which on the previous GB update was solid, started developing a few niggly quirks.
Bluetooth stopped working a couple of times, and when the phone is connected to a PC as a mass storage device it unmounts the SD card, which is where user ringtones etc are stored. It then reverts the soundset back to default using ringtones etc stored on the phone, but doesn't always return to the custom settings when the SD card is remounted and the user ringtones are available.
It's strange as O2 normally take their time to release updates and they've been the best stock ROMs available comparing with other providers (especially American ones who seem determined to punish their customers by deploying phones where they've messed with the software so much it barely works).
I took the plunge and have installed a custom ROM, which is basically a stock ROM which has been slightly tweaked and has root access.
So far I'm impressed, been running for several days and no issues at all. VPlayer even reverts to playing the movie after a phone call interrupts it whereas before it would be scrambled and I'd have to stop and start the film again.
I can't use Google's Play Movie service which isn't a great loss, but netflix and HTC Watch still work (rented the Hangover 2 for 5p and watched it on the way in this morning. 5p is about right for that film, the first one was much better), and I can get a version of Sky Go which works for rooted/ICS phones.
BBC iPlayer and ITV Player both still work.

DIY sphere tool
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

I used to use hybrid OS on my old berry Curve, always much better than the stock, much snappier in use etc. My current is on a fairly old version of the OS at the mo due tp upgrading my old handset and having a great quick everything, but sadly the battery was also used Quickly! Would use 3/4 a battery a day when on light use! The previous OS I had would be a 1/4 under the same circ's! 3/4 would be a Busy day on it, although, last couple of weeks the phones been suddenly Caning the battery, sits as normal then all of a sudden down to red! Think the battery itself may be on its way!!
Keep an eye out for new releases but as I'm on OS6 BB arnt issueing half as many updates as the OS7 and OS 7.1 so takes a while for a good one :-(
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

We've got a sales director here who they've recently upgraded the handset from a bold to a 9360.
Apart from Vodafone totally messing the contract up by putting her on an iPhone rather than BES contract, then not wanting to put her on BES for the price they'd been quoted for the contract (even though it was Vodafone's mistake), she's reported that the phone doesn't last a day while her old one would last 3.
It's also not holding a signal very well, Vodafone are saying it's not switching from 3G to 2.5G even though I can see it doing that here in the office.
We should be getting a replacement handset today, although they arrived yesterday while I was off site so goodness knows what's going to happen.

DIY sphere tool
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

Does very much seem for most average + users the days of a battery lasting significantly more than a day are Gone!
My old Curve 8900 used to do me 2 days of average use, the torch gives me a good day of heavyish use or a day and half of average, but as mentioned, on .723 OS it Ate the battery! This handsets on .668and is okay, a few issues here and there but not bad, at the mo, Really can't be bothered to update it haha!
The tablets on a hybrid android 2.2 by flanfingers, a crack of honeycomb, which is quite good but gets a little frustrating due to the non captive touch screen! Swiftkey's keyboard has helped a Lot mind, the std keyboards shocking, the current swiftkey3 beta is very good, makes it close to enjoyable to use! :-D

'58 C2 Code
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The screenshot ability is a plus but still unimpressed with capslock.
Attachments
Hmm... Picture in a picture in a picture.
Hmm... Picture in a picture in a picture.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Try a different keyboard.

DIY sphere tool
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Got my iPad this evening, I cannot for the life of me see why anyone would hand over their hard earned cash for such a useless device.

DIY sphere tool
Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

Xac wrote:Got my iPad this evening, I cannot for the life of me see why anyone would hand over their hard earned cash for such a useless device.
Explain more Andy - a mate has been trying to convince me to get one however...

Are they really that bad?
Franklin
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

Gotta love tablets! Especially Vastly overpriced Idevices! I've a clunky flytouch 3 tablet that cost me £100 and to be honest, I wouldn't want to ay any more for one! Its fine for surfing the net and with a hybrid OS and decent keyboard (swiftkey) its not bad, but as a lot are used with a keyboard via bluetotth, why not just get a netbook??
Its one of those things that had been about for a fair while pre apples miraculous invention but they were not used much, Apple made them cool and everyone has to have one!

Good mate of mine who now runs a bike shop was saying yesterday how he fancies a new iphone with more storage, happened to mention I just bought a larger card for mine when I needed more storage! :-D admittedly, its only 32gb but if I fill that up then I've blatantly got Too much carp on my phone!!!

'58 C2 Code