sphere changing guide

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: sphere changing guide

Post by CitroJim »

Deanxm wrote: Its a mistake many cats only make once
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Saying that though, my two cats are old enough to remember when I had a sinker and they won't go near the underside of any Xantia. They're clever little creatures but not so clever that they the difference between a sinker and an anti-sink.

I did hear, likely an urban legend, of a dog that took shelter under a CX and the poor dog had to flatten itself as the car sank. The owner found the dog spread-eagled under the car next morning but otherwise perfectly OK...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mirafioriman

Post by mirafioriman »

Thanks! New one will be ordered on Monday!
Former Proud owner of a 1994 Citroen Xantia 1.9d and BX 19RD

Now driving an Alfa 159 but god I miss the Xantia!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

mirafioriman wrote:Thanks! New one will be ordered on Monday!
Excellent :-D The ability of a hydraulic Citroen (and similar vehicles) to be able to give at least two effective brake applications with the engine stopped - and hence a check of the health of the accumulator - will become part of the MOT in the New Year...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Prilliant03
My Cars:

Post by Prilliant03 »

I really need to change my accumulator this coming week. Got the parts and the tool, just haven't had the time.

Am I understanding correctly that I need to have the car set on low, supported on stands or ramps, and the engine running when I release the sphere and open the regulator half a turn?
98 Xantia HDi 110
02 Aprilia RST1000 Futura

Life is like a sewer...... You only get out of it what you put in.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I've never bothered with much of that routine. Dump the suspension, with motor still running crack the regulator bleed screw a whole turn past where it "shrieks", then kill the motor. Allow a few minutes sitting, then apply the brake repeatedly a few dozen times. You should be ready after that.
Carsten S
My Cars: 2001 Citroen C5 V6 aut.

Post by Carsten S »

CitroJim wrote: One sphere that cannot be tested without a tester is the so-called anti-sink sphere. It's often overlooked and best replaced as a matter of course.
A good rule of thumb when the anti-sink sphere is dead; The car stays in correct height over the night. At the moment you start the engine the rear-end will sink to low and then raise again.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Carsten S wrote:A good rule of thumb when the anti-sink sphere is dead; The car stays in correct height over the night. At the moment you start the engine the rear-end will sink to low and then raise again.
I wouldn't take that advice literally as S2 Hydractive Xantia's do that as a matter of course with fully charged sphere's,,,,
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Prilliant03
My Cars:

Post by Prilliant03 »

Carsten S wrote:A good rule of thumb when the anti-sink sphere is dead; The car stays in correct height over the night. At the moment you start the engine the rear-end will sink to low and then raise again.

Oh goody. Mine does that so sounds like a new anti sink sphere will be needed too. That's going to have to wait until after christmas.
98 Xantia HDi 110
02 Aprilia RST1000 Futura

Life is like a sewer...... You only get out of it what you put in.