MOT Failure - Handbrake Efficiency 11%

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dandare1980
My Cars:

Re: MOT Failure - Handbrake Efficiency 11%

Post by dandare1980 »

Thanks Jim,

I'm booked in with the father-in-law to help me with the matrix the weekend before Christmas.

He's got a garage with a heater so at least I won't be freezing outside!

Dan.
1998 Citroen Xsara 1.9 D Estate (XUD9A indirect injection engine DJY with Bosch XUD 211 injection pump).
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

thats good to hear Dan,
does that mean your going to share what you saved :shock: :lol: :wink: between the FCF members that helped you,

regards malcolm
dandare1980
My Cars:

Post by dandare1980 »

Well, that's a reasonable request I guess.........

Perhaps when I'm feeling a little "richer" (which will be no time soon as recently lost my job!) :roll: .

I've been pleasantly surprised at how helpful and prompt the replies are amongst forum members here.

Everyone seems genuinely polite and willing to help, something which is becoming a rarity these days!

Dan =D>
1998 Citroen Xsara 1.9 D Estate (XUD9A indirect injection engine DJY with Bosch XUD 211 injection pump).
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

dandare1980 wrote: I'm booked in with the father-in-law to help me with the matrix the weekend before Christmas.
That's great Dan :-D I'll be thinking of you as I'm likely to be doing the same job along with a complete heater box on my HDi Xantia ... Only difference is mine will be done out of doors :evil: Still better to be cold for a while whilst doing the job rather than cold all the winter...
dandare1980 wrote:I've been pleasantly surprised at how helpful and prompt the replies are amongst forum members here. Everyone seems genuinely polite and willing to help, something which is becoming a rarity these days!
What you've seen Dan is quite normal on this forum :-D Citroen owners are a brilliant bunch of people and always happy to help. Next season come to a few of our rallies (some are quite local to you) and you can then see we're about the same in person as we are on here...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
dandare1980
My Cars:

Post by dandare1980 »

Thanks Jim, I'd love to meet up with the gang at your next meet.

Will try and keep my diary free :)
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

dandare1980 wrote: Perhaps when I'm feeling a little "richer" (which will be no time soon as recently lost my job!) :roll: .

I've been pleasantly surprised at how helpful and prompt the replies are amongst forum members here.

Everyone seems genuinely polite and willing to help, something which is becoming a rarity these days!

Dan =D>
I'm sorry to hear about your job, hopefully you'll find something better soon :) at least the xsara is cheap to run :)

You're right though, this lot are a good bunch of people :)
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
dandare1980
My Cars:

Post by dandare1980 »

Thanks Chris,

I'm still very grateful for your help with the Lexia code reading on my ABS, I would have been going in blind without it!

Dan :)
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

think nothing of it :)
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
dandare1980
My Cars:

Re: MOT Failure - Handbrake Efficiency 15%

Post by dandare1980 »

Well, I don't like to drag up old posts but just been through the MOT station and hey presto it's failed on the rear handbrake again (plus other bits).

This time it scored an annoying 15% efficiency, just off the pass limit.

I'm starting to think it's ultimately down to the adjuster mechanism in the rear callipers not functioning properly, but I'm not prepared to shell out the dosh on new ones just to fix the handbrake when, as it's an automatic, it can mostly cope without due to the "Park" gear position.

I'm thankfully back in work now and recently became the proud father of a daughter, so no longer have the time to play around with it.

As I don't want to fuss about this time with rubbing the discs/pads down with emery paper, I might just buy and fit a new axle set (just over £20 at Euro Car Parts with another of their "MidMonth31" deals). Will set it up again as I did before and hope it pushes through that final 1%.

Guess this will now be a regular theme each MOT.........

Dan.
mirafioriman

Post by mirafioriman »

Try sticking some weight in the boot, driving and giving the brakes some serious action, and also work the handbrake a few times while driving along. Hopefully that will get you the required 1%. It's so close I'm sure if the tester had tried the handbrake a couple of times it would have got 16% or over.

Another thing to do is to use the handbrake in the last few months before the MOT is due. As it's an auto they never get used and do tend to be prone to seizing or becoming 'lazy'.
Former Proud owner of a 1994 Citroen Xantia 1.9d and BX 19RD

Now driving an Alfa 159 but god I miss the Xantia!
dandare1980
My Cars:

Post by dandare1980 »

We generally do apply the handbrake when stopped in traffic and parked, but on an auto it seems disproportionate to spend money trying to get it to work like it did off the production line :|

Aware of this problem from last time I worked the handbrake at least 10 times whilst driving to the MOT station.

I guess the tester could have worked it a few times to get it through. Last time I left it with the centre console off so they could get to the handbrake adjuster bolt. Not sure whether this allowed him to nip it up a little tighter?

Tried the heavy boot trick last time with 6 x 60cm x 60cm large concrete slabs in the back, but didn't seem as effective as using emery paper to take the build up of rust etc. off the discs.

I guess I'll try a combination of things. Didn't have the time to prepare the car as in previous years!

Dan.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I have in more recent times, become aware of pistons binding in the caliper bores by virtue of corrosion between the piston seal proper and the dust boot. This will greatly affect both brake and handbrake! Like the 306, Xsara rears are not the easiest to bleed up after refurbing or replacement though.
dandare1980
My Cars:

Post by dandare1980 »

It's a shame I don't know how the rear brakes performed on the test when under the pressure of the pedal, like you say it could be a common problem, just more evident with the handbrake because of the weaker forces applied by the little arm the cable attaches too.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Completely, well slightly off topic, but Im amazed they fitted the HDi 110 with auto box in the Xsara.. What a daam shame the Xantia just missed this setup.. The xantia had to make do with the older XUD Turbo. I think a HDi auto would make a wonderfull Xantia.

Anyway, good luck with your brake work, I really dislike working on Disk/Drum rear brakes..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
dandare1980
My Cars:

Post by dandare1980 »

As automatics go it's quite a good setup, in the lightweight Xsara we get between 45 and 50 mpg, which for an auto is truly superb.