Goodyear all season tyres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Re: Goodyear all season tyres

Post by Richard_C »

DickieG wrote:Personally I'm still waiting for the weather to drop below 10° or for the first frost and with only 3 months of winter left, thoughts of spending hundreds of £'s on winter tyres is becoming rather low on my list of priorities.
Thanks for comments so far. I need new tyres anyway, Original Primacy HP on now, and wouldn't go to the expense of 2 sets round here (East Anglia, I would if I was in places with more preciptation). If you get really stuck on UK main roads it's usually because everyone else is stuck in front to you. Even a Haflinger on studded tyres can't make progress if the road is blocked with jack knifed trucks.

In any case which set would you use for (say) a trip to the alps in late March: Calais wet and grey and about 6 degrees, get down round Dijon and it can be sunny and 25 for a few hundred miles, get up an alp and it can be minus 10 and snowing. Same here really, it can be snow covered for weeks or hardly a winter at all.

That's why all seasons seem a sensible compromise unless their noise and wear make them unpleasant and uneconomic. The Vectors cost a little less than Michelin so up front cost is not the issue. But, I can't recall ever seeing a car with a set fitted, nor do you see them advertised so I wonder why.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

DickieG wrote:
CitroJim wrote:Not had a frost yet Richard?
Nothing, or even getting close to one.
Mouth why big open I did, comes to mind this morning, first frost of the winter :lol:
Richard_C wrote:[In any case which set would you use for (say) a trip to the alps in late March: Calais wet and grey and about 6 degrees, get down round Dijon and it can be sunny and 25 for a few hundred miles, get up an alp and it can be minus 10 and snowing. Same here really, it can be snow covered for weeks or hardly a winter at all.

That's why all seasons seem a sensible compromise unless their noise and wear make them unpleasant and uneconomic.
I'd take snow chains with me as with those you can get out of any amount of snow unless the belly of the car grounds out, been there done that :lol:

Re the Alps trip it all depends where you are going really, if it's to the Tyrol then a lot of that is straight off the Autobahn and into the town without going anywhere near a mountain pass whereas if you are going to say Livingo in Italy or some Swiss resorts that require you to go over a mountain pass then chains are all but essential. Back in the late 80's I managed to get up and over a fully snowed mountain pass (IIRC Stelvio) in a BMW 320i on normal summer tyres without chains although gong down was rather 'interesting' :shock: It's fair to say that my girlfriend was a little less than impressed, I still bear the scar's to this day :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

DickieG wrote:Mouth why big open I did, comes to mind this morning, first frost of the winter :lol:
We had a fairly decent one this morning... -2 at 07:00. It was the first real test of the Eberspacher. It passed :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

tell me about it Jim, had to put two T shirts on today, it was down to +7 at 7am, coldest its been so far, may have to bring the Lemon tree in if this contines :lol:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

We have not really had any frost yet, in fact ive not seen the temperature below 6 degress yet. Its because I havebought winter tyres, the northeast is safe from any frost or snow this winter :lol:

Seriously, I hope it does snow, I want to test out my cars boots!

Going by what my winter tyres are like, they seem excellent at these higher temperatures and dont give any noticable increase in noise, all seasons might be a good option for you, Richard_C.

Still, even if the winter does not arrive, winter tyres dont cost anything as they are saving the wear from my summer tyres ...
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10