I should've known .......

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Re: I should've known .......

Post by Chris570 »

when changing the sphere make sure you protect the rad from damage its very easily done. If you've bought the tool from ebay prepare yourself to go and buy a chain wrench as i had one of those tools and they are crap and bend too easily
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
Prilliant03
My Cars:

Post by Prilliant03 »

Chris570 wrote:when changing the sphere make sure you protect the rad from damage its very easily done. If you've bought the tool from ebay prepare yourself to go and buy a chain wrench as i had one of those tools and they are crap and bend too easily
Hmmmm, I did buy the EBay tool. Perhaps I should've asked on here first. I live and learn!

Not to worry, I have a chain wrench somewhere if needed.

One last thing, I'd like to buy a large container of LHM so I always have enough in the garage for a full change if neccessary. Where is the best place to buy from?
98 Xantia HDi 110
02 Aprilia RST1000 Futura

Life is like a sewer...... You only get out of it what you put in.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

The proper size chisel and hammer struck at the weld on sphere has not failed to shift any sphere on my last 4 Xantias. If it aint shifting ,and you are taking a shaving off ,move to another part of the weld.
Maybe years of practise with a hammer and chisel mind you :-D I also have a Clyde Built removal tool for hard to get to spheres.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

lexi wrote:The proper size chisel and hammer struck at the weld on sphere has not failed to shift any sphere on my last 4 Xantias.
I quite agree Lexi :-D Always my last resort! I find it best to use the chisel to raise a ridge and then to swap over to a big punch and 4lb club hammer to do the rest of the job...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

CitroJim wrote:
lexi wrote:The proper size chisel and hammer struck at the weld on sphere has not failed to shift any sphere on my last 4 Xantias.
I quite agree Lexi :-D Always my last resort! I find it best to use the chisel to raise a ridge and then to swap over to a big punch and 4lb club hammer to do the rest of the job...
I never thought i'd do this but Jim you forgot to mention that the regulator is only held on my 3 diddy bolts so careful with how much force you apply
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Touch wood Chris, I've never had to take the old hammer to an accumulator (yet). I tend to find that the hammer is needed most on Hydractive centre spheres and Activa balancing spheres where access is a bit tight... The front and rear hydractives are held by three flimsy M6 studs on a floppy brackets and they take the strain no worries. Hammer and chisel also works well on anti-sink spheres too!

In the case of a very tight main accumulator, for the work involved, I'd much rather whip the whole pressure regulator off complete with sphere and attend to it in the vice on the bench. That's my favoured method with tight Activa Accumulators too.

You'd be surprised at how much such apparently small fixings can take though...

Having said that, the use of hammers on spheres is not so much brute force and ignorance but the skillful application of good dead-blows to shock the sphere loose. There's a big difference. The secret is to transmit the blow to where it is needed and for it to be absorbed effectively by the part holding the sphere tight - the sealing ring in the case of a sphere.

There's more skill in the effective use of a big hammer than meets the eye - it's a lot more than just mindlessly beating seven bells out of an intransigent component :lol:

For main accumulators I initially much prefer the Pleiades tool with a long extension - of the sort we used to excellent effect with my tight corners :-D

I repeat the hammer and chisel is the last resort but there's no getting away from the fact it's effective!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

CitroJim wrote:I quite agree Lexi :-D Always my last resort! I find it best to use the chisel to raise a ridge and then to swap over to a big punch and 4lb club hammer to do the rest of the job...
Crikey Jim, I never realised you owned a 4lb club hammer let alone used it :shock: I thought you were more into toffee hammers :-D
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

DickieG wrote: Crikey Jim, I never realised you owned a 4lb club hammer let alone used it :shock: I thought you were more into toffee hammers :-D
I'll have you know I have two Richard :lol: Plus a good selection of many other precision percussion tools...
Jim

Prilliant03
My Cars:

Post by Prilliant03 »

I'm well equiped in the hammer department, but alas, my chisel collection ammounts to precisely none. Not quite sure how I've managed 24 years of amateur spannering without aquiring any, but it looks like I may need to invest.

Or of course I might get lucky with the EBay tool. Wish me luck!

In other news I'm reconsidering my possible heater matrix leak. my other half says there is no curry smell as far as she can tell, and she knows a thing or two about curry! Also I'm having no misting problems and the coolant level seems to be static as well. Think I'll keep a bottle of stop leak handy just incase, but for now I think it might've been my imagination.
98 Xantia HDi 110

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's good on the matrix :-D I know, it's funny what the mind can do...

Pop the Forte Stop leak in anyway, It'll do no harm and it'll be there if needed...
Jim

DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Another way to settle your mind with the matrix is to look for white stains running out of the heater outlet in the passenger footwell.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Prilliant03
My Cars:

Post by Prilliant03 »

No white stains, no steaming up, no drop in coolant. I can only assume that all I'm smelling is a 175,000 mile heater working as normal. Maybe it needs no more than the pollen filter replacing.

Had a go at tackling the fuel leak this afternoon. They didn't leave much room to work, did they? I think I've maybe managed to get the pump/o-ring seated properly, but only time will tell.
98 Xantia HDi 110

DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Prilliant03 wrote:Had a go at tackling the fuel leak this afternoon. They didn't leave much room to work, did they? I think I've maybe managed to get the pump/o-ring seated properly, but only time will tell.
It is a bit tight in there, fingers crossed for you [-o<
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

It could be the matrix has been done at an earlier date, i done mine last year and despite taking the entire heater box into the bath i get a very faint curry smell when the heater first goes on and i cant figure out why, everything has been scrubbed to within an inch of its life.

Oh and living without a chisel i can understand but your nobody if you dont own a club/lump hammer!

Good luck

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Deanxm wrote:It could be the matrix has been done at an earlier date, i done mine last year and despite taking the entire heater box into the bath i get a very faint curry smell when the heater first goes on and i cant figure out why, everything has been scrubbed to within an inch of its life.
All of the Xantia's I've changed the matrix on have changed the curry smell for a more "oily" one post change, looks like I needed to wash my hands just prior to fitting the new matrix :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH