Xantia heater

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

aneesh84
My Cars:

Re: Xantia heater

Post by aneesh84 »

ah sorry after refreshing the page i could see the picture! So first thing i want to do is check the water inlet temperature.Can you please guide me where do i check it?
Xantia Estate 1999 2.0 HDI 110
C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138
Nissan Leaf 2018 40Kwh
aneesh84
My Cars:

Post by aneesh84 »

also if this helps you help me, my car has AC
C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138
Nissan Leaf 2018 40Kwh
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Worried you can't see the pictures? Can anyone? EDIT: Pleased you can now :-D
aneesh84 wrote: Also can you explain where exactly the input line to heater matrix is, so that i can feel the temperature. Or any picture that you can show me for the same. Do i have to go under the bonnet to reach it?
Yes, under the bonnet, on the bulkhead behind the turbo pipes look for two pipes running to an elbow connector. This picture shows their position at the end of the arrow. The picture is of an Activa engine but it's in the same place on all Xantias.

On a 1.9TD they are hard to see, hiding behind the turbo pipes. On one elbow you'll see (feel) what feels like a tyre valve cap. This is the bleed valve and does the same job as the bleed valve on your central heating radiators does. With the engine running and hot loosen this cap carefully and hot water should issue forth. If there is an air lock then this bleeding will get rid of it. Take care not to loose the cap or scald your fingers. Wear rubber gloves...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
aneesh84
My Cars:

Post by aneesh84 »

Citrojim, thank you so much! You are right in my TD, it seems almost impossible to reach. But i have located it so now need to somehow open the turbo pipe. Will keep you posted.
C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138
Nissan Leaf 2018 40Kwh
aneesh84
My Cars:

Post by aneesh84 »

I had a thermostat issue, coz the engine temperature was around 70 degrees. I changed the thermostat. Now the heater is much better than before. However it is still not hot enough, especially since we are going to the mountains for christmas. The inlet water pipe into the cabin feels warm but not hot. What do you think could be the possible reasons?
C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138
Nissan Leaf 2018 40Kwh
aneesh84
My Cars:

Post by aneesh84 »

i found the bleed valve..... opened it with the engine running.... a little bit of the coolant came out and then nothing.........waited for quite some time but nothing came out..... then each time i pressed the radiator return hose, a little bit of coolant squirted out of the bleed valve but then nothing else..... does it seem like a clogged up heater matrix?
C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138
Nissan Leaf 2018 40Kwh
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

aneesh84 wrote:i found the bleed valve..... opened it with the engine running.... a little bit of the coolant came out and then nothing.........waited for quite some time but nothing came out..... then each time i pressed the radiator return hose, a little bit of coolant squirted out of the bleed valve but then nothing else..... does it seem like a clogged up heater matrix?
Nope, that' normal as the bleed valve is above the expansion tank level.

Strictly, to belled properly you need to put a header tank on the top of the expansion tank to raise the coolant level above the bleed valve. I've used a upturned pop bottle with the bottom cut out and that works a treat.

Almost as good is to make sure the expansion tank is brimmed and with the engine up to temperature and just above idle (say 1500rpm) open the bleed valve until a steady stream runs out and then close the bleed valve. here the weater pump is running fast enough to get circulation above the height of the expansion tank.

Also, don't forget to bleed on the three-way junction by the engine mount. You'll see another tyre valve bleeder here...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
aneesh84
My Cars:

Post by aneesh84 »

Did that.... the flow is there but it is not good enough. revving up the car makes some heat pass though. Seems like the heater is clogged up. is it easy to open those two pipes from those 2 elbow connectors so that i could attach additional pipes to flush the heater matrix with compressed air. or would you recommend me to use vinegar or even the domestic drain un-blockers (I believe they react with aluminum, is the heater core by any chance made of aluminum?) for flushing the heater matrix?
C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138
Nissan Leaf 2018 40Kwh
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

The elbow connector to the matrix (the one with the bleed valve on) can be an absolute pain to separate, especially where access is a bit tight as on a 1.9TD... If yu are ever going to try then I'd have a spare connector and pipes on hand...

They can be disconnected with care in about 75% of cases but it can't be guaranteed...

Even if yu could easily disconnect the matrix connector, flusing is likely to be unsuccessful due to the construction of the thing. I've tried flusing one in the past by making up a couple of adapors from runber hose tapered to fit the matrix connecytor sockets and hose pipe.

I'd be very wary about using any sort of descaler or flusher on amy part of the cooling system.
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The only stuff I would risk in my cooling system would be Forte Cooling System Flush and Conditioner (and the Stop Leak if & when required).