Mk2 1.9TD Xantia, Inlet manifold delays the head gasket job

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: Mk2 1.9TD Xantia, Inlet manifold delays the head gasket

Post by DickieG »

Hey Jim is that a photo of a model car with those toy jacks? :lol:

Facom sell a long reach 13mm combination spanner.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
masood_ilyas
My Cars:

Post by masood_ilyas »

Yes we can

Thanks Jim,
Your two jacks idea worked ok this weekend. I placed one of the jacks at the rear of the engine where Cylinder2 exhaust port would be and one jack by the AC compressor. With the offside front mount removed and gently raising it I was able to remove the inlet manifold, just about!. WIth another half days effort I was then greeted by this sight of Cylinder Head out. One of these days I will get to grips with uploading images properly.

With the head and gasket on the bench I was surprised to see that the gasket was intact no break for oil to leak
To my novice eyes even the closeup view shows nothing wrong with the gasket

or the Cylinder head

or even the closeup view of the the area where I thought it could have leaked from, i.e cam sprocket corner

The only thing I can go back to was that one of the head bolts came out relatively easily, curiously though all the bolts measure exactly the same length so unlikely to have stretched in service.

I am hoping with a new gasket all the troubles will be behind me other wise I will have to search for the source of this oil leak again.
Last edited by masood_ilyas on 16 Oct 2011, 21:21, edited 2 times in total.
masood_ilyas
My Cars:

Post by masood_ilyas »

I noticed there was another EGR query on the board tonight.
While doing this HG job I am inclined to remove the EGR completely if only I knew how!
how do you detach the EGR from the inlet manifold?.
Is there a special kit containing blanking plates etc.
For safety's sake I would like to make sure there are no leaks in the exhaust or the inlet port.
Has any one done this mod before?.

Thanks
Masood
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent stuff Masood, delighted the two jacks idea worked :D There's another to add to the knowledge repository!

I think you'll find the gasket will look OK on inspection. What actually happens, I believe, is that oil leaks between the laminations of the gasket and that's hard to see when you look at the gasket. There's a lot of oil pressure there and it only takes a little delamination of the gasket to cause a leak.

The head looks good but I'd be tempted to get a very light skim done on it just to clean it up and remove the very light impressions of the old gasket fire rings. Also, it's not a bad idea to have the skimmer give it a pressure test at the same time. He'll most likely give it a wash and it'll return looking brand new. Normally they don't even as to have the valves removed...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Well done for sticking at it. You have the pleasure of putting a new gasket on anyway that will give another 100k.

It is always an idea to run a correct size bottoming tap down the head stud holes to clean them out. Any time cleaning these holes out, is time well spent.
Rather than search for one off tools they are best made with welder. Even a cheap arc machine will let you cut up those cheap spanner sets to put longer shafts or put the jaws onto another shaft at any angle. A few stainless steel Arc rods make welding Chrome Moly easy and spanners can be cut with a good hacksaw.
Hope you get some weather now.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2