On Xantia Heater Matrix Elbows and Rad Sealants...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I've seen them where they blow white powder out of the vents Lexi.. Now that is scary...

Never fear, I'm on the case and I'm thinking of ways of mitigating it and making the job easier or less doomed to disaster, it all centres round that bloody elbow...

Watch this space, I have ideas forming...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

lexi wrote:
Eventually you'll get mist coming out the vents and even having the a/c on won't stop the windscrean from fogging up.
Cheer us up why don't ya :lol: Sounded like something from a John Carpenter movie there...........maybe The Fog :shock:
Had that in Juliet, mist coming out the vents.
Cassy was starting to get the white powder forming on the vents.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: On Xantia Heater Matrix Elbows and Rad Sealants...

Post by xantia_v6 »

CitroJim wrote: Also, I'm reasonably sure now that all that happens to a Xantia matrix to make it leak is hard O rings on the inner flange; That was the case with Cassy's most definitely... Her rings were as hard as iron..

Next time it'll be worth really trying to just replace those O rings (they're a standard size) without disturbing the elbow. If it fails though, it'll be a sod give the dash will have to come all the way out again...
When the matrix went on my V6, it was certainly a pinhole in the aluminium.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

xantia_v6 wrote: When the matrix went on my V6, it was certainly a pinhole in the aluminium.
Was the pinhole on the U bends on the end? I've known a number of 205 matrixes to go on the U bends due to scale in the cooling system acting as a fine abrasive. Given the inevitable cavitation on the U bends, it eventually pin-holes them. My old 205GTi had a lot of irremovable scale in the cooling system and it got through THREE matrixes during my custody of her :shock:

I knew when a matrix went as I'd end up with a warm, wet left foot :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
imperial21
My Cars:

Post by imperial21 »

Do you need a elbow for your matrix change as i have the original from my car you can have ?
1999 Xantia exclusive 110BHP !! Now RIP !!
2002 C5 estate 110 hdi, Happily sold on !!!
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

CitroJim wrote:
xantia_v6 wrote: When the matrix went on my V6, it was certainly a pinhole in the aluminium.
Was the pinhole on the U bends on the end? I've known a number of 205 matrixes to go on the U bends due to scale in the cooling system acting as a fine abrasive. Given the inevitable cavitation on the U bends, it eventually pin-holes them.
Yes it was "gone in the U-bend".
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

A sight to strike fear into any Xantia owner :twisted: this is the matrix and elbow connection when I changed the matrix in what is now Jim's Activa. Whilst these is white powder collecting at the bottom of the matrix it was leaking at the crimp joint between the plastic top and matrix, this has been the case on all of the three Xantia's of mine where I've needed to change the matrix.

13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

I wonder if there's a better make to fit into the car, or just stick with Valeo and their 10-15 year life span?
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

Just get a Xm,

Heater matrix failure is uncommon, and they can be changed without taking the dash out!
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

:lol: Just you wait for the dreaded "evaporator+compost" escapade...

If the car's been run without a pollen filter for a time or that convoluted drain tube is not free, it gets pretty nasty inside.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

My TD's matrix failed exactly as DickieG's did, at the top crimp joint between plastic top and matrix. No problem removing the elbow.

This happened when car 9 years old, so may not be long before has to be done again? And by then, memory so addled that I'll not remember how I did it first time :(
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

What about cutting a lump out of bulkhead ,doing Matrix and welding back in.

I have a Plasma cutter and I aint scared to use it :lol: :lol:

Prolly set the whole car on fire :shock:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I've noticed all matrixes I've changed appear to be wet around the crimp joint but I've assumed, perhaps wrongly, that's just where leakage from the flange has collected and settled... I confess I've not probed deeper into it so maybe it's not just the flange O rings that go then...

One thing Xac and I noticed on the flange is a channel that's cut into it that provides a perfect leakage path when the O rings fail. Thinking on I do wonder if that's some kind of relief channel to protect the main matrix from going pop under excess pressure; a kind of safety valve...
lexi wrote:What about cutting a lump out of bulkhead ,doing Matrix and welding back in.

I have a Plasma cutter and I aint scared to use it :lol: :lol:
:lol: You'd have to cut an amazing amount of bulkhead away Lexi, right up to the windscreen and then part of the dash as well...

I reckon a visit from the Sapeurs-pompiers would be absolutely certain if you tried it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Robert, yes. That's just one of many areas of the XM that shows excellent and inspired design... Can't immediately think of the others though... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

That's just one of many areas of the XM that shows excellent and inspired design... Can't immediately think of the others though...
I can help you! Seats are better in XMs, certainly compared to the seats in regular Xantias which are the most common.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

robert_e_smart wrote: I can help you! Seats are better in XMs
Oh yes, I'll agree there, the Exclusive leathers are better than the finest armchairs and with better switchery too :D

Can they be fitted to a Xantia by any chance?
Jim