1905cc White smoke not Steam ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

the_weaver
My Cars:

Re: 1905cc White smoke not Steam ?

Post by the_weaver »

Did you say that the diesel injection pump is turned all the way to one end of the slot? I don't think that's right. I think it should probably be in the middle of the adjustment slot. This sounds like it might be the same problem that happened to me, on my ZX 1.9D. Here's what happened to me:-

I had my cam belt changed by a garage. They put the cam belt on, one tooth out, on the diesel injection pump. The car ran very badly, so I took it back to the garage. They then compounded the problem by adjusting the diesel injection pump, and turned it all the way to the end of the adjustment slot (idiots). The car ran better, but still not very well. I think one of the symptoms was white smoke. I checked the cambelt timing myself, using a rod in the flywheel and two bolts in the cam and injection pump sprockets. I realised that the timing was one tooth out, so I re-fitted the cambelt correctly, and then turned the injection pump back to the centre of the adjustment slot. The car then ran much better, although I still haven't adjusted it spot on yet. I've left it with the timing retarded a bit, but it goes ok. If you suspect that the timing belt might be one tooth out, then I would recommend checking it using the rod and bolts method.

The usual cause of the cam belt being one tooth out on the injection pump, is not taking up the slack properly when fitting the cam belt. You're supposed to start at the crankshaft sprocket, and then pull the belt over the idler roller and up to the injection pump sprocket. When you do this, you have to remove all the slack in the belt by pulling the belt (tight to remove slack but not enough to stretch/damage it). If you don't remove the slack then the belt will be one tooth out on the pump timing.

edit:
Here's a link to one of my threads with some discussion about my injection pump problems:-
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=32345

Here's a link to a previous thread, where I thought that the head gasket had gone, but luckily it turned out to be the injection pump timing:-
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=30869

Paul
ZX 1.9D, 1993, 218K.
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 1982 GSA 1299
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

Thanks paul I did read your post and although there are some similarities, mine was down to a damaged injector check out the damage in the photo and that is no real supprise, and leak off pipes wich was my fault :oops: .
It is now running and purring like a kitten well a kitten with 170000 miles on the clock,and I did move the pump round to a more central point.
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

OK, glad to hear you got it sorted out.

Paul
ZX 1.9D, 1993, 218K.