looking for reconditioned steering rack?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Best to ring Pleiades at about 4pm if you want to catch Martin at the phone.

I shall need to give my Xantia rack some much needed attention soon as the Teflon has worn off the bushes on the ends giving a distinct grinding sound when I turn corners especially in the winter when it is cold,
Martin @ Pleiades says its OK for now and it wont Break, I pierced the boots on the ends with a syringe needle and inserted the nozzle from a can of spray lithium grease and filled my boots... :D it stops the noise in the summer and on long journeys when the grease gets warm. I sealed the boot
piercings up with superglue.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Doesn't it make your socks feel all greasy and odd?

Perseverance is the key to getting that pinion back in.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Nigel, what teflon and what bushes are you referring to? I can't immediately think of any...
addo wrote:Perseverance is the key to getting that pinion back in.
Yea, that'll be right enough... The secret is to appreciate there's a big spring behind the rack pushing it into very close mesh with the pinion.

The technique seems to be to introduce the pinon in at a slight angle so it compresses the spring as the foot of the pinion drops into its hole...

You can make it easier if you remove the spring backplate but this means removing the ram securing bolt (big, massive Torx one) and in-situ, it's very hard to get any sort of purchase on the bolt at all..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

In the nearside rack housing end, there's that teflon stripped bushing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:In the nearside rack housing end, there's that teflon stripped bushing.
Ahh, rigth :D Thanks Adam :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DublinChris
My Cars: 1998 Series 2 - 1.9TD owned from '98 216,000+ miles
Previously BX19DTR, BX19TD, BX19TZD

Post by DublinChris »

jgra1 wrote:Chris I had the same situation as Kenny..

I tried to rebuild my PV with new seals and ended up with no PS on the left..

I got a recon valve from Martin at Pelaides and I think gave him mine back in exchange..
He can rebuild them and test them before he sends them . so you know you'll be right ..

Postage will be ok as it's just the valve..

fitting into a rack in situ... priceless :twisted:

good luck there..
John
:wink: Many thanks more great information. Hoping to get confirmation on replacement rack tomorrow but will also give Martin a ring to see about exchange parts :)
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

is it true that its an engine out job to get the steering rack out?
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:is it true that its an engine out job to get the steering rack out?
Nah...

It can be done although removing the engine does improve access a little...
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Not at all true. I wrote the R&R process up for FCF members, only last week.
DublinChris
My Cars: 1998 Series 2 - 1.9TD owned from '98 216,000+ miles
Previously BX19DTR, BX19TD, BX19TZD

Post by DublinChris »

:roll: Sorry guys me again. My Xantia has a build date of 11/12/1997, it is a series 2 - 1.9TD. There is a wee bit of uncertainty regarding cut off points for changes to steering racks. The rack I can get is for cars up to end Dec 1997 and has a geared linkage bracket. Would there be any definitive views as to whether this is suitable for my series 2?

8-)
Thanks in advance
Chris
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Chris

There are only 3 Mk2 racks: V6; HDi 110 / 2.1TD / 2.0 CT; everything else. The later mk1 use the same rack for the 'lesser' variants (part number 4000Z1) so you should be OK.
Richard W