XUD 1.9 TD Xantia Timing Belt Coolant pump change - any tips

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ecohouse1
My Cars: Rover 75 CDT TourerAuto , , Mercedes 190E 1.8 1993, 2CV6 Special 1987, Peugeot 206 1.1 2001. Repairs and maintenance of two Hyundai i10s
Deceased
Xantia TD Estate 1999 (now with Chris Morewood)
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Post by ecohouse1 »

Nightmare!!! For the first time in ages I gave up on a car job!

Spent literally 2 hours trying to get at the bolt that secures the top rear cambelt cover :evil: Why did Citroen get rid of the nice little clips!! Talk about making the job harder. After severe scuffed knuckles, twisted back and ever spiralling temper, I thought taking the aux belt off would be light relief - but must be the auto adjuster version as no sign of an adjuster nut next to the crankshaft pulley! Haynes made no sense at all in terms of releasing this, and I couldn't even access what looked like a 19mm pulley hub bolt that I could just see, By this time I had the O/S front wheel off - the engine mount off and half the turbo trunking! This job took me a few hours on the Xsara DW8 - things seemed so inaccessible on the Xant TD!!

That rear upper cam belt cover - I could barely even feel the nut let alone get a spanner on it and it seemed which ever way I turned it it it wouldn't loosen (assuming I had the spanner on the right nut) :cry:

What was I doing wrong that made the job that hellish!!!!

Bolted the whole lot back together, and thinking about taking it in to a small garage to do.

I hate admitting defeat!!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Oh I know :twisted: That bolt is such a pain. It's so tight behind the turbo pipe..

Often, if a garage has done the job they eitehr break the cover around the boss or don't replace that bolt. Often too, the thread is found stripped...

Best to loosen the pipes so it can be eased as far away from the cover edge as possible. I bet the thread is stripped and the bolt will simply pull out...

I assisted in a 1.9TD cambelt job this weekend and I swore at the aux belt too.. Haynes is wrong. What you needed to do was refer to the 2.1TD Aux belt tensioner, that's the right one for the later 1.9TD.

Do you want another go at it? The aux belt is released by firstly loosening the 6mm hex in the eccentric and then engaging a 3/8" square in the auto tensioer and releasing enough tension to slip off the belt...

I'm fresh from one and can guide you with some clarity now...

Did the crank pulley come off OK or did you not get that far?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i dont release the excentric adjuster,
there is a 3/8th drive hole in the body of the auto adjuster for putting a tool in topull the adjuster off, also a small peg hole to place a locking pin whilst you hold the tensioner fully off,

you gain better access by removeing the engine top mout and jacking the engine up,

regards malcolm
ecohouse1
My Cars: Rover 75 CDT TourerAuto , , Mercedes 190E 1.8 1993, 2CV6 Special 1987, Peugeot 206 1.1 2001. Repairs and maintenance of two Hyundai i10s
Deceased
Xantia TD Estate 1999 (now with Chris Morewood)
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Post by ecohouse1 »

Thanks

Which roller is the tensioner is it the one immediate right/above the Crank Pulley? I say a 3/8 hold in that

Also, assuming I get brutal with the upper cam belt rear cover which way do I "force" it to break the tab that is bolted in? It doesn't do back as the turbo pipes are in the way.

Also I couldn't see how I could release the two big plastic turbo pipes that loom out from the back of the engine? I always worry with these jobs that in alleviating one problem - you create a second with either damaging a turbo pipe or create a leak in the join....

Cheers

Alan

(knuckles still scabby but healing :x )
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Alan those turbo pipes are a bit of a pig..

mirror down there will show you more..

mark (or take pic of) the pipes before you take them off.. they are a funny twisting fit together.. one goes straight down onto a rubber joining pipe- to turbo (7mm jubilee) and the other goes sideways into the turbo I think.. also a jubilee..

I am quite good with them now, after 40 removals :twisted:

john
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

citronut wrote:i dont release the excentric adjuster,
there is a 3/8th drive hole in the body of the auto adjuster for putting a tool in topull the adjuster off, also a small peg hole to place a locking pin whilst you hold the tensioner fully off,

you gain better access by removeing the engine top mout and jacking the engine up,

regards malcolm
That's how I do it, but don't need the locking pin.

So, remove the ECU box and flop the ECU etc up by the strut top out the way, unclip the black pipe that runs up the back edge of the ECU box bay (you have to gently pull it's pip out of a hole then slide it up and yank), get a jack under the sump, remove the engine mount bridge that side, jack the engine up a bit, then I use a breaker bar with a swivel head that fits in the square hole of the auto adjuster perfectly, lever it down using the edge of the ECU box bay as a fulcrum and it moves easy enough to get the belt on/off the eccentric (or even the hydraulic pump).

With the wheel off, and shields out the way, the roller you can see behind the large coolant pipe is the eccentric, with a hex bolt holding it on and a square hole next to it.
The auto tensioner is above it, best accessed from the top/side with the ECU box out the way.
If you don't know the history of the car, it may be worth replacing the auto tensioner and spring. If the tensioner is difficult to rotate then it's needle rollers are probably dead and it definitely needs replacing along with the spring.
Replacing it requires the engine to be lifted and lowered to get access to everything.
Also the allen bolt that keeps the lower spring eye to the tensioner is a PITA due to poor access.
I believe we made up a tool of a ratchet spanner with an allen bit secured in it.
You need about 8 arms to hold it all in place, tighten the bolts, and hold the torch. And a magnet to retrieve any dropped bits.
Worth doing though, you do not want that tensioner failing!

To tension the aux belt it's easy, you slacken the hex bolt holding the eccentric roller so it is free to rotate, and just release the auto tensioner against the belt. Then tighten the eccentric.

If you're going to be replacing the cam belt tensioner, you'll need someone with a long screwdriver or bar to push the plunger back in.
If you look up from below at the tensioner you'll see what I mean.

The covers can be difficult, the fuel pump particularly. Leave it until last, it makes manouvering it easier. Also remove the hydraulic pump bolt just in front of the cover.

Make sure your replacement water pump has a metal sheild section on the sprocket side.
Get a large bowl, like one of those cheap under bed storage trays, under the car and drain it by slowly removing the water pump.
Then remove the water pipe that runs across the pulleys as this will give you better access to the turbo.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

If its a later td xud at around 1996 citroen made things sooooo much worse!! They added a bolt to the turbo out hose that bolts to the back of the inlet... They also made the hose an all plastic single hose and bolted it to the outlet flange of the turbo.. One boltcis fine to get too the other is a right p**s take with the inlet in place!!!

Best jump straight to the hdi the upper tensioner is simply released with a 14mm spanner on a left handed thread so undoin the bolt releases the tension none of this digging aroind for a hex lug that half the time you cant get too beause the chassis leg is in the way..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto