Welsh Roads...

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

A lot of the A30 down here was originally concrete. A bit of a laugh that was. A lot of "You'll have to speak up a bit!" when driving on that road. Thankfully most of it is now tarmac, that anti spray stuff in some places too, what a fantastic bit of technology that is, certainly notice the difference :shock:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Re: Welsh Roads...

Post by pug_owner2002 »

CitroJim wrote:
pug_owner2002 wrote:

I must say, the M54 is not my favorite motorway, sorry...

And the services on it can only be described very loosely as being Motorway services being bloody miles away, or so it seems, from the junction :twisted:
Don't be sorry :D the only good thing about it, is you can get your foot down (all be it for the noise).
If you'd have got off at junction 4 (near me), the services are just off the island. :wink:
R Reg Phase 2 306 DTurbo (Blaze Yellow) (Sold)
X Reg Phase 3 306 1.4 LX (Sold)
03 Renault Scenic Dynamique +
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi
52 Nissan Almera 1.8 sport+
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

The story (which may be apocryphal) is the a decent spec was laid down for the M54, but the contractors er.. modified it to reduce costs. The job was subsequently signed off without having been inspected...
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

dnsey wrote:The story (which may be apocryphal) is the a decent spec was laid down for the M54, but the contractors er.. modified it to reduce costs. The job was subsequently signed off without having been inspected...
Having been along it a few times I can well believe that.
'Tis the one part of my 300 mile journey to Bangor I'm not looking forward to the week after next. Although the expansion joints along the raised M5/M6 sections in Birmingham are a close second in the running for the worst bits of that run.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I reckon the M54 is by far the worst concrete road I've been on. I can well believe that about the Contractor. I reckon a gang of Pikies could have done better; at least it would have been tarmac'd...
OwenP wrote: the expansion joints along the raised M5/M6 sections in Birmingham are a close second in the running for the worst bits of that run.
Oh gosh yes, it's bloody awful :evil: Tell you what Owen, invest £5.30 in the M6 Toll and enjoy a glimpse of how motorways should be. You'll avoid that hideous section of the M6 then :D The M6 Toll is truly a wonderful bit of road. Deserted it is most of the time. Robyn and I cruised practically the whole length of it at 80 in the inside lane on Friday. You could have had a picnic in the fast lane. It's a tragedy it is so under-used and I can't believe people will go up the old M6 to avoid paying the toll. It's tantamount to swimming across the Severn to avoid paying the bridge tolls...

The services on the M6 Toll are good too... At least they're actually on the motorway...

Come off at Junction T8 and join the M54 from there. Only bugbear is it's not signposted as such...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

CitroJim wrote:I can well believe that about the Contractor. I reckon a gang of Pikies could have done better; at least it would have been tarmac'd....
Yes but it would have lifted after a week :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

CitroJim wrote:I reckon the M54 is by far the worst concrete road I've been on. I can well believe that about the Contractor. I reckon a gang of Pikies could have done better; at least it would have been tarmac'd...
OwenP wrote: the expansion joints along the raised M5/M6 sections in Birmingham are a close second in the running for the worst bits of that run.
Oh gosh yes, it's bloody awful :evil: Tell you what Owen, invest £5.30 in the M6 Toll and enjoy a glimpse of how motorways should be. You'll avoid that hideous section of the M6 then :D The M6 Toll is truly a wonderful bit of road. Deserted it is most of the time. Robyn and I cruised practically the whole length of it at 80 in the inside lane on Friday. You could have had a picnic in the fast lane. It's a tragedy it is so under-used and I can't believe people will go up the old M6 to avoid paying the toll. It's tantamount to swimming across the Severn to avoid paying the bridge tolls...

The services on the M6 Toll are good too... At least they're actually on the motorway...

Come off at Junction T8 and join the M54 from there. Only bugbear is it's not signposted as such...
Aye, I've used the Toll road before, it really does show you how a motorway should be done, I don't tend to think of it on this run as it is on the wrong side of Birmingham compared to the rest of my route, but I may go a different way to take advantage this time round.

Have only stopped once at the Toll services and found them to be very expensive, even compared to the normal high cost of services.

I too have seen it nigh on deserted, 80 on the inside and some of the guys in the outside lanes must have been well over a ton.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

CitroJim wrote:It's tantamount to swimming across the Severn to avoid paying the bridge tolls...
Now there's an idea.

Of course what you should do is to make sure that you always LEAVE Wales over the Severn Bridge (either of them) so it doesn't cost anything!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

CitroJim wrote:nvest £5.30 in the M6 Toll ... It's a tragedy it is so under-used
You have the answer right there.

We don't have a culture of toll motorways here in the UK. The M6T was sorely needed but the Birmingham bypass should alwys have been a free motorway - FFS we pay enough in tax disc and fuel duty.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, to be honest I was shocked at the amount of toll demanded and think £5.30 is outrageous.

Perhaps if they charged say, a quid each way they'd have more people using it, they'd make more money out of it and it would relieve congestion around Gravelly Hill at the same time, thus fulfilling it's intended purpose...

Over a fiver is Ok for a one-off trip as I did but if you commute using it the cost would very soon get prohibitive...

It seems the Dartford crossing can make that sort of attitude work..

How much does it cost to enter South Wales now if you can't swim?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

CitroJim wrote:How much does it cost to enter South Wales now if you can't swim?
Dunno. I only ever leave Wales... :D

OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

CitroJim wrote: How much does it cost to enter South Wales now if you can't swim?
It was £5.70 when I used the new bridge a month or so ago.

The other thing that keeps the M6T clear is that the charge for lorries and vans is much higher, double in fact, and as for frequent use they only offer a 5% discount.