Aaarghhh! Bl**dy clutch clip just went ping on my GF's Xant

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pete the bus
My Cars:

Post by pete the bus »

Update no.3.

Job done! :D :D :D

Got replacement plastic sleeve and clip this lunchtime. Only cost £5.26 for both bits! (Wilmoths, Folkestone, official Citroen dealers).

Attached plastic sleeve to pedal and put the metal clip HALFWAY ON. Got under bonnet, released clutch cable (self adjusting type) and pushed cable in as far as it would go. Then got into footwell and positioned the pedal so I could feed the plastic sleeve over the end of the cable. I then used a small wooden pestle from my kitchen (it was all i could find that would fit) and forced the clip into position. Presto!.

Then the tricky part. Having got the pedal into position and feeding the bolt through, it was frustratingly difficult to hold the nut at the right angle to get it to take. I used a tiny bit of blutack to hold the nut in an open-ended spanner, but trying to hold the spanner in place, keep the ratchet on the other end and keep the torch shining in the right place proved to be a right faff! Eventually it took, tightened it right up, and reconnected the spring. This is far, far easier than the spring on the S1 version!

Reconnected the clutch cable under the bonnet (again, easier than the manual adjust type), and refitted ancillary bits and pieces. Tested to make sure all OK.
Interestingly, my GF says the clutch is now a lot smoother and "freer" than before, so I'm wondering if the auto-adjust mechanism on the cable had maybe become snagged somehow, and by releasing it and resetting it has sorted itself out?

Anyway, I'm so glad it's all over, I have a happy GF, a not too beaten up body, and haven't had to fork out for repairs which we frankly can't afford at the mo!

One final thought:-
I didn't take the seat out this time, and therefore was not lying completely upside down on my back, but more of at an angle with my legs out the door. This, with a big thick cushion and loads of covering on the door sill, made for a much less uncomfortable position. I would advise a good powerful torch though, and one that has an adjustable beam.

Many thanks to all of you who offered advice and encouragement (and brandy!), and to all previous posters on other threads who have offered their knowledge on this subject.

Peter
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

peter, I tried to reply yesterday but as you may have seen have been having problems with Firefox.

I was going to say that on the auto adjust cable if you sprayed the end that goes into the clip behind the pedal with bumper shine or silicone based spray it pushes into the clip really easy from the gearbox end.

But as I can see I am a bit late, well done it is not an easy place to fold yourself up into I used a ratchet ring spanner and a mirror with a 150 watt flood lamp shinning light up behind the dash and learn t to replace them working with the reflection in the mirror in reverse. it works for me.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
pete the bus
My Cars:

Post by pete the bus »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:learn t to replace them working with the reflection in the mirror in reverse. it works for me.

regards Nigel.
Working upside down AND in reverse! Now my head is really spinning :shock:

But anyway, thanks for your input. I'm sure others will find all this info helpful when it happens to them. :)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

glad your sorted and hope you got loads of brownie points from the GF,

i usualy for the bolt before fitting the cable into place, this way the pedle is kept in position better,

and if the clip is half in it shoud not need any force to push fully home,

regards malcolm