C5 Estate, rear suspension drops when parked

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

torq wrote: My theory... is that it was a leak at the rear suspension unit I'd expect to see a loss of fluid to the ground. Also the problem would be far more common as it would affect the saloons equally.
If it were the seals leaking more than they are designed to then the excess fluid would be collected by the gaiter and returned to the reservoir when the system was running again.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

torq wrote: My theory... is that it was a leak at the rear suspension unit I'd expect to see a loss of fluid to the ground. Also the problem would be far more common as it would affect the saloons equally.
Because of this I think that what ever valve the button opens to drop the rear is not sealing correctly thus allowing the fluid from the rear to return to the resevoir and causing the drop. The problem doesn't occur with the car running as it is constantly checking and adjusting the height and it is only when the car is switched off and this system of control is disabled that the drop occurs.

Not sure if she's 8 or 16v, haven't had a chance to have a look yet. All I've had time to do is put diesel in her and drive to work.
It has been know on C5 saloons and the saloon also has the same suspension set up as the estate, the rear can be raised and lowered independantly of the front via the Citroen software.

The leak back to the tank could well be internal, so no actual fluid loss.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
torq
My Cars:

Post by torq »

I had a feeling I'd be wrong with my theory so I guess I'll be under the car on staurday with the tools and a torch.
hobblerian

Post by hobblerian »

Had exactly the same trouble on a friends one. Turned out to be a small "pick up" of aluminium on the ram rod had cut through the seal. Seals are available from Citroen seperately, Ended up resealing it in situ as couldn't get pipes undone. Then stoned up the chrome rod etc., been fine since.

Edit- Oil was only visible on the outside gaitor after multiple citrobics
Previous 90H S1 XM 2.1td SD Manual
Current 97P S2 XM 2.1td VSX Manual