Weighing iz Believing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Appropriate :lol:
I like Top Gears attitude towards queueavans, in particular Mr Clarksons :lol:
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
imperial21
My Cars:

Post by imperial21 »

Now now we are getting a bit anti caravans !!! :twisted:
you are getting caravan-ist !!!!!!!!
Dont knock it till you try it 8-)
1999 Xantia exclusive 110BHP !! Now RIP !!
2002 C5 estate 110 hdi, Happily sold on !!!
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Around here the grey nomads frequently have their UHF frequency stencilled on both the van and tow vehicle. More than once I've been tempted to fit a UHF set myself, simply so I can say "Let me past!"...

Have seen plenty of good towing, and plenty of crap towing - both vans and trailers. I'm sure Mr Dippy is in the former category.
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

imperial21 wrote:Now now we are getting a bit anti caravans !!! :twisted:
you are getting caravan-ist !!!!!!!!
Dont knock it till you try it 8-)
The misfortune for me to try it was as an adolescent, the damn thing almost killed my family and myself !
Returning from a family holiday in the south west on the M5, ironically just south of where I now live, our 'rig' overtook a lowloader and developed the dreaded snake. For a terrifying 10 or maybe 15 seconds, regardless of what my poor dad tried he couldn't stop it, it became terminal, turned on it's side and jack knifed into the car. This was despite my Fathers almost paranoid attention to loading, nose weight, tyre pressures, stabiliser bar, etc, etc. Debris and our belongings were scattered all over the carriageway, it was truly traumatic.
The scare was bad enough but when I realised the incident had forced the police to close the M5 and I saw the tail back I felt dismayed and ashamed that we had caused such turmoil for other motorists.
I didn't really like them before that but I do now really think they are an abomination and should be banned from the road.
The number of accidents and holdups they cause on the section of the M5 I use routinely every week is deplorable, without mentioning the queues of traffic they cause around my location during the holiday season are just a misery. During the last 2 weeks of August and the first week of September I avoid as much as possible even going out for the dread of getting caught up in the drudgery they cause.
Excuse me for being blunt but they are a royal PITA.
Last edited by HDI on 04 Sep 2011, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
Dippy
My Cars:

Post by Dippy »

Sticks and Stones . Messuirs' :roll:
Last edited by Dippy on 09 Oct 2011, 12:51, edited 1 time in total.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

After reading HDI's account its not difficult to see why he's not keen on caravans, I suffered very serious life threatening injuries in an accident back in 1987 yet still have flash backs from time to time and sometimes in the most absurd circumstances where no obvious link exists. Ever since that incident I learned to never underestimate the effect of a traumatic event, little time bombs exist in peoples brains after such an incident which can be triggered by the most absurd circumstances, been there, done that.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Dippy
My Cars:

Post by Dippy »

addo wrote:Around here the grey nomads frequently have their UHF frequency stencilled on both the van and tow vehicle. More than once I've been tempted to fit a UHF set myself, simply so I can say "Let me past!"...

Have seen plenty of good towing, and plenty of crap towing - both vans and trailers. I'm sure Mr Dippy is in the former category.
I would like to think so , but none of us are perfect......
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Well 2CVs are about the worst car to have an accident in....ban them? Motor bikes ? Push bike in traffic anyone?

Live and let live. See plenty of them up here and around Argyll and the Highlands on my travels. They dont' bother me cos I aint commuting on these journeys...............The V6 always gets by them when needed. :lol: :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Thats taking my comments out of context. Motorcycles don't cause congestion, tailbacks and even if they do have a shunt, don't close roads.
Bicycles actually are a hazard when mixed with larger and faster traffic, it is ludicrous to do so and then place the burdon of responsiblity on the motorist. 2CV's are less crash worthy but there are fewer of them and now mainly used for pleasure driving. When was the last time you saw one on the road ?
I speak from experience, I'm both a cyclist and motorcylist so know the problem first hand, I also rather like 2CV's !
Transport policy in the UK is a bad joke, it needs sorting to resolve all the bonkers anomalies, doubt it ever will be though. Just keep piling on the tax and even more legislation is the governments solution :?
Last edited by HDI on 04 Sep 2011, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

You need to get up to Scotland more HDI..........get away from all the traffic................and riots :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Dippy
My Cars:

Post by Dippy »

lexi wrote:You need to get up to Scotland more HDI..........get away from all the traffic................and riots :lol:
Heyup . Good idea . 16 yrs since we were up there our with Bx DTR with by co- incidence an older Lunar Caravan . same size & weight as this one . Fantastic Car.

Went to see the Tall Ships Race leave Leith Docks .

Glorious Summer . Nice people too who know how to have the craic. Hic. :)

It's only just dawned on me that I really got into Citroens because of caravanning . Got to be a morale there somewhere.
Dippy
My Cars:

Post by Dippy »

addo wrote:So you would retitle the thread "Weighing In is Believing"?
Hopefully not for a good few years :)

A policeman friend informs me of an exponential rise in Car / Caravan theft - often dragged onto transporters in the dead of night . most end up abroad . no questions asked due to the cutbacks in Customs / Police Staffing.

:?: But if it were one bottle of booze over the limit , their investigations would be limitless :evil:
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

was it a 2000TC lexi?
i had one of those (when I was 14!) ;) kind of want one again sometimes.. the rover build qualtity and the character insde was really very nice back then.. adjustable wiper delay, dashboard dimming, green knobs for the controls, a myriad of dials

full leather etc

:twisted:

ahh.. just found some pics, plus an even older brownie camera shot of my dad's cornwall set up .. happy days ;)

http://nowt-john.blogspot.com/2011/09/p6-and-305.html
Dippy
My Cars:

Post by Dippy »

jgra1 wrote:was it a 2000TC lexi?
i had one of those (when I was 14!) ;) kind of want one again sometimes.. the rover build qualtity and the character insde was really very nice back then.. adjustable wiper delay, dashboard dimming, green knobs for the controls, a myriad of dials

full leather etc

:twisted:

ahh.. just found some pics, plus an even older brownie camera shot of my dad's cornwall set up .. happy days ;)

http://nowt-john.blogspot.com/2011/09/p6-and-305.html
Nice Rover - Appears to have the later V8 Bonnet & Grill ? or maybe they fitted these to the T.C's after a certain year as well.

Happy days.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

yep I was wondering that Dippy..
FYA 426K .. wonder where it is now..

I did have a nasty coloured mexico brown V8 shortly afterwards.. my poor dad towed it from Bristol to Taunton on a trailer (brakes not working he later found out!) using a 504 estate..

I think The autobox was stuck in reverse but I never got any further with it :(

anyway, wayyyy off topic :twisted: