New C5 daylight running lights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KayusS

Re: New C5 daylight running lights

Post by KayusS »

So let me get this straight. If I would get new headlapms with LED DRLs but halogen and not xenon, it should fit just right to my car and will be legal as well, right? What about the cornering system of the projectors (when you steer left-right the lights turn as well), will it work as well? Is it something that the car's computer must have in order for this function to work?
Also, is there any way to refocus the light for UK roads if I would get those headlapms from Europe?
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

The genuine LED (2012+) headlamps are basically the same as the old headlamps (talking about both halogen versions), to replace them, the front bumper must come off ... the cornering light is the same (the light doesn't turn, you have a fixed position bulb that lights that side, only the xenons have beam turning), the small difference is the DRL and sidelamp ... the old headlamp had those two apart (DRL halogen HP24 bulb at the bottom, W5W sidelight in the corner of the high-beam) ... the new headlight doesn't have the sidelight, it uses the DRL as a sidelight (when daylight, the LED DRL glows 100%, when night and you have low-beams, the DRL acts as the sidelight by glowing apporx 50% of intensity) ... as for the car computer, I don't think any additional changes need to be made, the sidelight/DRL logic should work through the headlamp wiring itself ... refocusing, not sure, are they that different from the rest of EU? First I've heard of it, I thought the focus is global standard more or less ... if talking about the genuine headlamps (or OEM replacements), they're of course legal ... other versions, no guarantees ...
KayusS

Post by KayusS »

Thanks a lot for clarifying ! Obviously I was searching for something it doesn't exist :( . I basically wanted the new Xenon headlamps, but without Xenon, as my car is not fit for Xenon. I wanted the LED DRLs badly because of the beam's ability to turn, but considering that is available only for the Xenon light, I don't feel like spending hundreds if not thousands of pounds for the same type of headlamp but with LED DRL (talking about the halogen model).
Regrading the headlight's focal point, it does differ in UK compared to EU, all because of the driving side: left compared to right. It's legal to use eurolite beam deflectors when going to EU from UK, but that only covers a portion of the light so it won't disturb the card coming the opposite side....too bad.
Anyway, I think I might stick with the lights I have ... *dreams crushed*

Thanks again for help am clarifications !
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Forgot that you drive on the wrong side of the road ... :P ... when you said focusing, I thought you meant the height, not the bend ... as for the xenon bend feature, I don't know if it exists for a halogen version, it seems a xenon only feature ... the bend functionality requires a headlight computer that needs to be added to the car, which costs almost as a halogen headlamp ... and a few extra wires that need to connect the BSM and BSI ... and after that, pray that it will actually work ... when you have the halogens, you have the 3 position height correction dial below the steering wheel (motorized headlight adjuster), the xenons have self-leveling ones, that have sensors on each wheel suspesnion, that sends the data to the central computer to know what to do with the level of the xenons ... as for myself, I'd go for the LED halogens, just because of the LED ... not new of course, but if I got them in good condition at a fair price ... maybe ...
The Ace
My Cars: Citroen C5 1.6THP Prestige
Ford Fiesta 1.0Ecoboost Titanium

Post by The Ace »

It seems there is a LED kit on eBay that claims an output of almost 600lms, and which also claims direct fit and bolt-on fault-free operation on Citroens and Peugeots. I'm wondering whether the 28 quid asking price is reasonable, or should I just go for normal SMDs of about 350lms for half the price ?
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

You can get those bulbs from China under 10€ per pair. And they´re not bright enough. Search "g4 led 7,5w" on ebay.
Carme Karmė
New User
My Cars:

Post by Carme Karmė »

The Ace wrote:should I just go for normal SMDs of about 350lms for half the price ?
IMHO, certainly no. SMDs of about 350lms are no bright enough (please read reviews of owners + my friends who used SMD's confirmed so) and if you care about safety first, please do not save money on that. I would suggest to choose from two options only: a) standard HP24W Daytime Running Lights bulbs b) High power 7.5W LED 580lms
Xantippa wrote:And they´re not bright enough.
Just wondering have you tried by yourself or saw them in reality? One of my friend told me today that he installed HP24W DRL bulb replacement High power 7.5W (5*1.5W) LEDs (declared brightness Efficiency 580 LM) and he is very happy with the result. He said't LED's are bright enough and recommends to me, too. But still... could someone tell how much lumen's does emits standard HP24W bulb? I’m undecided whether to go or not for LED's (OK, they are cheaper and less hungry for energy, but do they better at the end, that's are question!), so comparison of data-sheet would help a lot.
C5 2.2HDi '09
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

What does that mean the led's are bright enough? Another personal opinion? Unless you test it with a lux meter you won't know exactly ... I also have 580 lm bulbs and they defeat the purpose, that's why I've paired them with the CREE sidelights ... the standard halogen HP24 should emit somewhere around 900 lm, that's why you won't see the old headlight type C5 on the road with LED DRLs that are more visible in the sun that the regular HP24 ... unless we see a totally new product which matches the required size and light output
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Nt

Post by Stickyfinger »

oops
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

Ok, finally got around to changing the blown halogen DRL bulb. I'm buggered if i was gonna pay £40 for a bulb so i went the LED route, got 3 LED bulbs from China for £6 delivered. Had to wait 2 weeks for the bulbs but saved £74 so worth the delay. Bulbs are a straight swap, just remove the halogen bulb from the holder and replace with the LED. Here's the picture and the link to the ebay seller if you wish to go the same route....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151210066485? ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
jpn369
My Cars:

Post by jpn369 »

Definitely brighter than the ones I fitted back in 2011.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Well given up trying to attempt this myself. Can manage to get hand in and feel the Torx recess on the underside of the bulb holder, but unless you are a triple-jointed twiglet there is no way I can get a small ratchet in there, plus hand and try to get the bit into the housing!

I should say I have the xenon discharge headlights, but oddly enough can get to the passenger side (battery side) easier than the driver side. There just seems to be no height to manoeuvre a small ratchet into the socket, hold it all together and try and turn and remove the bulb - yet alone get an LED back in. I have the washer bottle, headlight washer rams to negotiate an with the large Xenon bulb housing it is hopeless. I even took the foglight / indicator unit out to see if I could get my hand up through the recess to attack it from below - but no chance - and spent nearly another hour trying to get that beauty back in properly! At least I know what to expect if I have to change fog or indicator bulb now!

So I have come to the conclusion that I will have to buy some dealer time to take the bumper off and get them to fish them out for me.

What a performance - completely ridiculous! Stress over. :cry:
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Kamillar
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.2 hdi 2009

Daytime running lights ... Won't come out

Post by Kamillar »

jpn369 wrote:Thanks to birksy's tip I paid my 5 Euros and discovered that you can use a Torx bit in a small ratchet drive and undo the bulb and drop it out of the bottom of the headlamp assembly with a bit of wiggling as it has a rubber seal holding it in. Suffered a few scratches to the forearms-but nothing new there.

Hi folks. Really useful posts and pictures on here for replacing the daytime running lights... But can anyone tell me if you have to screw out the existing lamps or are they just a quarter turn and then they 'drop' down? I have tried to take my blown one out with no success - I am able to turn the Torx screw anti-clockwise but at most a quarter turn but I cannot get the lamp holder to drop down. Do I need to get a better Torx tool that gives me more leverage (I just have short straight stumpy one) to turn or do I just need to keep wriggling the holder till it drops out? It is tight and I have almost slit my wrists with scratches trying to get this to shift... Any advice greatly appreciated.

Ta,
Andrew.
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

After a turn to the open position, you probably have to wriggle it around to get it down ... nice and easy, and it shouldn't pose any problems to get it out that way
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

In my case, although I could turn it a quarter turn, they were 'sealed' tight, so the dealer had to take the bumper partly off to break the seals and remove them off for me. Some people are lucky they will wiggle out, but I couldn't break the seal. Now I have put my new LEDS in myself, without taking the bumper off and greased them, plus with the 'ring pull' I made, they will come out a lot easier now, as detailed on my other post:
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 15#p464087
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc