New C5 daylight running lights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Crossfire
My Cars:

Re: New C5 daylight running lights

Post by Crossfire »

Result is, to difficult to move, so shall ring dealership tomorrow and get a quote to fit my led bulbs.
If it is too costly shall go down the path of bumper removal.
Crossfire
My Cars:

Post by Crossfire »

Ok just so everybody knows re the fitment of DRL to C5 X7, dealership quoted A$32.50 per light to fit I supply, total of $65 (36pounds) said would take about 30 mins to take off bumper cover and fit globes and re fit cover. I thought fair enough and will have them fitted on Friday. will let you know the result (effect). I felt maybe right hand globe with a bit of perseverance this could be achieved, however at great expense to my hands, however left hand side would require removal of battery post (Battery in Boot) and other item. by far the easiest method would be removing the bumper cover which I believe would not be a great effort however there are no posts on this removal to make it a do it now job, so I have succumbed.
Crossfire
My Cars:

Post by Crossfire »

Follow up to my last post. Dealership fitted bulbs, unfortunately damaged one and the other fitted one appears too dull. Ordered another type.
Fitted new one myself as it had been left off vehicle simple fit by hand brilliant light was the result, alas after a few days went out.
I had the car in for some work on the radiator hoses which require the bumper off surprise, surprise I got them to fit another globe, they said original was just loose so they fix that and result was shining brightly again but only for another day, light has now dimmed to a dull light which is most frustrating.
I will now look into removing the bumper myself after having one more go at globe removal.
At least the knowledge of bumper removal will make future access a breeze.
KayusS

Post by KayusS »

Hello!

I am quite new to citroen C5 and cars in general. I just bought my first car - C5 2010 two months ago and besides loving it, I would like to make some adjustments...personalize it a bit. My DRLs didn't use to work until the guys from the service enabled that function for me and they work now. However I am interested if there is any chance of fitting the new type of headlamps (facelift ones), with the DRL as LED band. And are those headlamps xenon only? I don't really want them with xenon because I'm thinking I'll have to do some legal paperwork to be able to have them on my car.
Does anybody know anything about this? How can I get LED band DRLs?
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

As for the LED strip, the genuine headlamps have them both halogen and xenon ... halogen ones are approx. 480 GP each (new), hard to find used ones ... xenons almost twice that ... you can't fit xenons (genuine) on your car if you didn't have them before ... correction, you can, but the procedure is almost as difficult as fitting hydractive on a car that doesn't have it (plus, the headlamp washers must be fitted as well) ... there are solutions to fit the LED strip on an existing headlamp, but you'll have to heat the headlamp until it comes apart, then remove the front side from the rest and then you'll have to glue it back once again ... I've found some angel eyes, custom headlamps for the C5 on aliexpress with LED strips for DRL, but the cost is around 600 GBP + shipping ... each ...
Crossfire
My Cars:

Post by Crossfire »

Yes I agree the cost is a little prohibitive to go full replacement the better path is what I have gone down path I and vborovic have gone. I had a good result at first however I believe you should use the base from the original globe to stabilise the replacement globe as I have had issues where the globe dims because of poor contact. However when working properly it looks as good as the band type. Also make sure you use 5w with the brightest lumens.
Just went to the French motor car show today, unfortunately it was rained out, who would think that in sunny Perth.
Some great looking ds models there.
Northern_Mike

Re: Re: New C5 daylight running lights

Post by Northern_Mike »

vborovic wrote:As for the LED strip, the genuine headlamps have them both halogen and xenon ... halogen ones are approx. 480 GP each (new), hard to find used ones ... xenons almost twice that ... you can't fit xenons (genuine) on your car if you didn't have them before ... correction, you can, but the procedure is almost as difficult as fitting hydractive on a car that doesn't have it (plus, the headlamp washers must be fitted as well)
This is not true in the UK. HIDs and Xenons DO NOT require washers by law.

If fitted, they must work for the MOT but there is no legal requirement. This is a commonly mis-interpreted regulation.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

That's interesting Mike and reflects my brother's experience with his 307 and Mondeo.

Might get round to fitting my accidentally purchased Xenons one day then.
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I'm not from the UK, remember? ... :P ... but, I've read a fair number of MOT discussions, and it seems it can be regarded in both ways, legal and not ... it seems if you have halogen headlamps, it is illegal to convert it to HID/Xenon ... also, if you do convert it (glass headlamp), they need to have a self-leveling system + the washing system fitted and working ... the MOT says "Where HID or LED dipped beam headlamps are fitted, switch on the headlamps and check the operation of any headlamp levelling and cleaning devices fitted.", meaning if those two aren't present, the MOT tester can't check them, and the car passes MOT ... well, think of it as a loophole ... also, depends on the individual tester ... I know I've checked with Citroen Service because I was interested in putting the genuine Xenon headlamps (the whole procedure, no matter how much it would cost), and my mechanic said he can't put me on the road without the headlamp washing system, because it will be a fail on my MOT ... so, go figure ... I'd say, unless you're caught, you're safe ... :D ...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Your mechanic is wrong, as they often are.

vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Sorry Mike, but by our laws he's right ... here the xenon/hid cars need to be road approved by our Centre for vehicles, which push tests to see if everything is working as it should ... China HID's fail automatically, unless they have strict certificates that they're road legal etc ... also, the car washing system must be installed, even aftermarket ones, if not possible otherwise, as well as the beam height auto-correction system, if you want your vehicle to pass the MOT ... seems we're more strict than the UK ... failure to do so means the Police, if they suspect you have non-approved headlamps, can force you to go to an MOT, and if you fail, you'll be fined just nicely ... expensive as the full xenon procedure ...
Northern_Mike

Re: Re: New C5 daylight running lights

Post by Northern_Mike »

vborovic wrote:Sorry Mike, but by our laws he's right
I know your not from the UK, but that's why I said your statement was incorrect if applied to the UK, then as MOTs were being mentioned, I presumed you were still talking about here...

vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Well, I didn't really think what my mechanic says applies to the UK in the first place ... :D ... but regarding Croatia, that's what is regulated, sad for us ...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Sorry! A complete misunderstanding from me there. Regulation is good, to a point though...

Crossfire
My Cars:

Post by Crossfire »

well I have the xenon that come with the self levelling and washers as standard, we would only need washers for washing bugs off not for de icing in this country, and are considered a bit of a novelty and I am sure they would not come into the equation here but self levelling may do.
Lens is plastic not glass.