New C5 daylight running lights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Re: New C5 daylight running lights

Post by vborovic »

Here you go, photo time ... :D ...

[mixed solution, left previous LED, right newer 5W LED] - left & right sides regarding the picture perspective, not the car's actual light positions

[left previous LED]

[right 5W LED]

The 5W LED is not really that different in color, as the pictures would suggest, however it is slightly more whiter, than bluer ... which is what I was after anyway ... the first two photos clearly show the difference in luminosity of the two LEDs. On closeup, it is impossible to focus on the 5W bulb body, as it would be possible on the previous bulb (note: photos taken with HTC One X cellphone).
jpn369
My Cars:

Post by jpn369 »

Looking good.
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I guess I've reached the maximum that can be done with the DRLs on a C5 X7, without reconstructing the headlamp (which I don't want to attempt), or placing LED strips (Audi look-a-likes) inside, which doesn't look as the original anyway ... I've finally gotten myself a Lexia + a tablet notebook, so now I can move and start living in the car ... :D ... jokes aside, what I now have for the DRL, the DRL are 5W COB LEDs, which should output around 400 lm, of pure white light (as per the item description on ebay) ... and the sidelights are 5W CREE LEDs from before, and by using the Lexia, I've managed to program the BSI to have the sidelights work in parallel with the DRL, so now I'm finally somewhere, with enough DRL light emitting from the car, and it looks totally different from standards that cars have these day (single line/strip) ... I took pictures by night, and I'll take tomorrow a few by day so you can see how it looks like ... now, these 4x 5W in total LEDs actually output light that you could almost safely drive in the dark (just a feel, don't take me literally on this) ...

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Christ alive !, I hope that light scatter is a "lens on the camera" thing !

Am I the only one who thinks these super white/LED/projector lights are really annoying and close to dangerous to those of us coming the other way ?.................................rant rant rant :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Lens on the camera, phone to be precise ... :D ... I think the Xenons, especially the HID kits are more annoying an dangerous than use of these lights, which are of course daily usage only ...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I agree with the Xenon's, they are to height sensitive. One fat bugger in the back and I'm blind !...

Then there are the lazer kids, massive output off road bulbs !......then there are the hyper output LED brake Lights, does no one use a fecking handbrake any more when stationary ? wet night in London traffic = red spots for an hour :).............rant rant :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

When I learnt to drive my instructor taught me to use the handbrake if I believed I would be stopped for more than 5 seconds, partly because of the dazzle factor for anybody behind me. "Good road manners" he told me, as well as better road safety.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:When I learnt to drive my instructor taught me to use the handbrake if I believed I would be stopped for more than 5 seconds, partly because of the dazzle factor for anybody behind me. "Good road manners" he told me, as well as better road safety.
Indeed. You would think that there was some difficulty involved in setting the handbrake.
Just lack of consideration for other road users, as with bothering to indicate etc. Along with all those fine examples in YPLAC.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

What is the situation with an automatic? Will it try and creep if the handbrake is used and the footbrake isn't? If so, that would explain some instances of brake light dazzle.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

It would, if you leave the car in D ... of course, the P position should be used when parked, but I admit I'm one of the rear light emitters when waiting on the red light, the car is in D and the foot brake applied ... 2 reasons (3 actually), first, to prevent moving forward (gearbox), second to be in stationary position in case someone decides to ram me from behind (and potentially avoid hitting someone in front) while I'm not moving, and mostly, yes, I want people to see that I have my brakes applied, meaning the car is slowing down or stationary ... you wouldn't believe how many people don't observe what the car in front does, and for example, green light on the traffic light, the car that was waiting doesn't move forward (due to several real-life possible reasons) ... but the car behind it decides to go front, and realizes too late that the front one hasn't moved, and what you have is a direct hit ... because people automatically assume that green light means that everything gets moving ... that's why I want the ones in the back know that they don't move forward until I move forward first ... :D ... it worked well so far, and I feel a lot safer and visible in the road (my intentions at least) ...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I was taught always to the handbrake at lights or if in a stop-start queue. Two reasons - bright red lights in the face p**s people off, secondly, if you get hit from behind, your foot will likely come off the footbrake and perhaps you'll go charging into the middle of a busy junction in complete surprise. With the handbrake on, sure, the impact will move you but the car will stop itself shortly after.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

vborovic wrote:I took pictures by night, and I'll take tomorrow a few by day so you can see how it looks like ...
Waiting... :roll:
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Me too ... for good weather ... :D ... I'll try taking some tomorrow, didn't have time like planned these last 2 days
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

Take your time. I´m waiting for good weather (read summer) too to change my headlights completely. Got a pair of original Valeo´s quite cheap from ebay.fr. Still too much to pay for testing g4 halogen-bulbs. :(

Fortunately I have now a pair of original Valeo´s to dismantle and test whether it´s possible to make those lenses clear again. If it works ok, then it might be time to retrofit xenon-projectors and maybe something interesting for DRL too.
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

So, you originally had xenon's on the car, and now want to go halogen? I wanted to go into the opposite direction, but had to drop that though, since the procedure would be too expensive