Urgent: I have a Problem and I Need Help...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

all these Xm supporters must be paying through the nose for expensive white diesel to be so upset, at least my S2 Xantia runs on waste vegetable oil and at 40 p a litre processed i am not going to slag my Xantia off or come to think allow anyone else to do it either, as for being a rust bucket it isn't because it gets waxed underneath on a regular basis, some previous xantia owners couldn't have been very good at looking after their Xantias either that or they only drove them on salty roads in the winter time. they are very good cars and not quite as expensive to maintain if maintenance is done when it is due not put off for another couple of years hoping it doesn't go catastrophically wrong on the motorway one day. by the time I reach 40 thousand miles I have done 13 oil changes. Jim I am glad you got the result you wanted.
:D
Last edited by falling-out-with-my-car on 17 Aug 2011, 17:22, edited 3 times in total.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

DickieG wrote:
xmexclusive wrote:The only exception is a Mk1 V6-24v which nearly every XM nutter wants.
Why?
It makes you giggle like a giddy schoolgirl
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Xac wrote:
DickieG wrote:
xmexclusive wrote:The only exception is a Mk1 V6-24v which nearly every XM nutter wants.
Why?
But what is so special about an early car with its poor reputation for electrics etc over and above a much later V6 with all the toys on which supposedly the many issues with early cars had been sorted out? If its just the noise then forget it.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

The troubles with toys is there is to much to go wrong if it does go wrong.
its a bit like the difference between a car with a computer and a car without one, older cars without computers you can time properly without a computer doing it for you, modern cars are making mechanics lazy plug it in and read off the fault codes half of which no mechanic really understands anyway.
give me a car without a computer with an ignition fault and I bet I could fix it quicker than a car that is computerized. yes I know my S2 Xantia has a degree of computerization but as for electrical faults none yet that couldn't be easily sorted by cleaning the earth leads.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Having an ECU doesn't bother me as a car with one stays in tune whereas a car with points needs a new distributor every 50k miles due to wear on the shaft and lobes, not to mention the almost weekly sessions needed to adjust the points gap if the engine is to run correctly which is why they were fitted in the first place.

Personally I prefer a car with toys as I hate to run basic models, it depends upon the reliability of the whole package as to whether I want to own a particular car.

A lot of people view ECU's etc as 'dark forces' whereas I view them more as a challenge that has to be mastered :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

The reason I aspire to the potentially unreliable early 24v, quite frankly, is all down to being too easily persuaded by marketing. The fact is that it was the original range topping XM, theres not many about and people will talk about it.

Nigel, you are able to run an XM on waste oil, all of the 2.5 TDs and a few years worth of 2.1 TDs, both fitted with Bosch pumps.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Lot more XM nutters than Mk1 V6-24v XM's.

John
Xmexclusive
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Xac wrote:
DickieG wrote:
Why?
And how do you know that Xac?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for the electrics, Im not sure Richard, what makes you think they have dodgy electrics!! Ive not experianced this except the suspension.. which was only on early ones as in G and H plate.....

As for S1 24v, They are rare very rare, and they makes a stupendiously GOOD manifold intake noise, do 0-60 in 7.5 seconds.. Which they do, and Ive been told surpass 150mph.....

What other CITROEN does that?? Not even the SM.. I beleve..

My particular H reg S1, has infact got all the under pinnings of a K reg 1992 S1.5 on her, so has the bolted earths, H3 ECU with better generious ECU settings, and works in Hard and Soft mode.

Everything works, Except the sunroof, but then I dont care for sunroofs.

So for me, at least, Im not sure where the reputation of dodgy electrics comes from.. Even my S1 2.1 SED has everything working.

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

citroenxm wrote:As for S1 24v, They are rare very rare, and they makes a stupendiously GOOD manifold intake noise, do 0-60 in 7.5 seconds.. Which they do, and Ive been told surpass 150mph.....

What other Citroën does that?? Not even the SM.. I beleve...
I have heard the same from Roger - he "had 150MPH out of one on TWO occasions" :lol: I can remember him telling me about them when we was looking at yours Paul at last years CXM.

A CX GTi Turbo 2 is about 7.8 Seconds to 60MPH and over 140MPH mark. I've got a Maikonics Kit here that'll take it to 7 Seconds to 60 for the boy racers (depending on your clutch! :lol:) and 150MPH too. Dad's frightened a few people in it that's for sure! :lol: CGAT takes it to a new level though (I've lucky to have been a passenger - WOW!!!) :o
Franklin
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

I'm going to stick my neck on the line here, and say I would rather a CX GTi Turbo 2 than a XM V6.

Xm electrics are fine, its all a myth :lol: :lol:
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The XM 2.1 manual estate is the best one, I have had two that have done nearly 300,000 miles, mind you I don't think the one I have just repaired is going to do many more, the jack just went through the sill :(

Peter
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Peter,

How un professional, jacking a car on the CILL!! :o :o

Paul :wink:

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Citroening wrote: What I'm struggling to believe ATM is that mine is on £430 but this one here is already up to £361 with an un-disclosed reason why it's spares/repairs and it's done over twice the mileage too!
Because most people beleve the S2 XM's are well sorted!! That XM is a Very last 2000 XM, however, these very late cars can be just as bad for rust then early cars.. Ok, it has the Xantias PSA V6 24 engine, which is more rifined and quiter, and also better on fuel. But I still dont think Late S2 cars are any better then earlyer cars.

PAul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
falling-out-with-my-car

to be totally honest during the eighties I used to frequent my local citroen garage in Portsmouth and sit in a brand new XM it was then my dream to own one.
when I reached 40 a local was selling a diesel hatchback XM and I drove one for the first and last time compared to my Xantia I hated it the seats were uncomfortable compared to my xantia seats even though they were leather,
the view out of the rear windscreen was almost non-existent the angle of the rear screen to a person as tall as I am made it like trying to look through half closed eyes. at this point I gave up on the idea of ever owing one yet I spent a very long time in my younger years wondering what it was like to drive. apparently not quite the experience I had hope for and I did like it because it seemed to be roomy enough for the bod with that extra little bit of height like myself. it also appealed to me as the shape of things to come so aerodynamic looking, now people are driving around giant doorstops that have probably never even seen a wind tunnel, even the latest Citroen's are dam ugly compared to the XM,
(in my view that is). except to say for the C6 maybe.

The thing that put me off ECU's in cars is that Peugeot once claimed that they didn't guarantee the ECU under the normal warranty I know of someone who bought a new Peugeot 406 and a week later the ECU suffered an electrical fire which damaged it beyond repair the bill from Peugeot was £6,000 my friend tried unsuccessfully to take the stealers to court to claim back the money but Peugeot stuck to their guns and refused to cough up for the supply and fitting of the new ECU. that's why I hate
ECU's I wouldn't know to this day if their stance has changed on guaranteeing an ECU in a vehicle if it fails, I wouldn't mind betting they would still argue black is white & white is black to avoid paying for it.

regards Nigel.
Last edited by falling-out-with-my-car on 17 Aug 2011, 21:19, edited 2 times in total.
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Not sure what XM that was then as there was NEVER a V6 Diesel XM...

Of course, there was a V6 Petrol XM, and the 4 Cylinder Diesel XM...

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto