How to reset C5 2.2 Particulate filter's

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

citroenxm wrote: Yes, but the REAL Q is why is the Mk.1 2.2 16v so more un reliable then later systems on C5 1.5's?? FAP problems always seem to be assosciated with the first generation 2.2 engines, as with injector removal problems..

The later family of 16v HDi engines seem problem free (So Far!)

Paul
The mk1 2.2 is not markedly more unreliable than later C5's in this respect, shorter service times on both fluid and filters yes, which of course translates into more expense.

FAP problems are associated with this car simply because of the stupid warning message "Anti Pollution Fault" used for any related engine malfunction, which greedy or unknowing members of the trade have inflated into "FAP" as an easy money earner.
Mention "Pollution Fault" on sites such as this and the myth will be perpetuated by many people who have never done the research into the car and how it really works.
As designed the FAP system has it's own set of warnings and only when all of these have been ignored and the filter has choked up to the point of causing damaging back pressure will it post a "Anti Pollution Fault".

I have a 2002 2.2 120K on the clock with a reasonably comprehensive service history, as far as I can remember it had 5 litres of EOLYS round about 40K a new FAP and 5 Ltres of EOLYS at round about 70K( I believe this is actually longer than the recommended service interval) and is as we speak by calculation is needing a top up now, although so far I have no no indication that the level is low.
I purchased the car with an intermittent"Anti Pollution " fault first garage I took the car to said it was probably the FAP!!!!. I the went away and did some serious study and purchased a Lexia, turned out to be a swirl valve problem which I suspect is responsible for many many instances of "Anti Pollution " faults on these cars. (Easily fixed at a cost of about £20.00)

My advice to anybody considering buying a Mk1 is simply if economy is your main driver then a 2.0 ltr with a manual box is the one to go for. If on the other hand you want a car with all the toys and some real grunt then a 2.2 Exclusive SE is the one to go for, don't be put off by FAP horror stories there are other issues more likely to get you with both 2.2 and 2.0 than FAPS. At the end of the day you can always drill a couple of 1/2 dia holes down the length of the FAP or knock the filter out all together and get the ECU re-mapped.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

citroenxm wrote:I gave my solution just above, but, what would happen if you disabled the fuel cap pickup, or better removed the magnet??

It wouldn't know how many times you have opened the fuel cap then.. or would that not work either

Paul

The system uses the fuel cap sensor to detect that fuel has been added, knowing that fuel has been added it calculates the amount of added fuel and from this can calculate the amount of EOLYS to be added. If the fuel cap is removed and re-fitted without adding fuel it will inject an amount of EOLYS which equates to ten litres of fuel. So I guess that the fuel calculation accuracy is no better than 10 litres, interestingly the procedure for resetting the EOLYS ECU requires the addition of ten litres of fuel.
The answer to the original question is no fuel cap switch, no EOLYS injection= quickly clogged filter. :-)

cachaciero
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Okay... the other poor state is economy, reports being "Only" around the 40mpg mark?

If I was getting a C5, it would be an Exclusive SE, OR an SX with Sat Nav. I dont particulary want the Sat Nav, more the colour screen in the centre of the dash for impressing..

Im a BIG belever in the 20i 8v HDi engine, as many go massive miles with little problems, and theres no FAP on them.. and I also DO beleve if you are having a DERV engine it needs to eb good on fuel, and i dont think 40mpg from a modern HDi is that good. The XM in 1991 with mechanical injection will do 45 plus, what does that say?

However, the 2.o is the opposite. My answer to that is fit a tuning box. They dont arrear to do any harm, even with my Xantia HDi with 183k.

So I have a catch 22.. Id like a C5, but would like the Sat Nav screen, but Id prefer the 2.o engine. Do I buy a 2.2 and junk it for a 2.o 8v with tuning box?

A customer on his 2.0 hdi 8v Exclusive has a shown average of 50mpg!

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Or Paul you skip the first versions of C5 and go for the present version as they are now coming down in price quite a lot already, then you wouldn't need to wear a Burka every time you went out for a drive :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Ah, they arent a grand or less yet are they! I dont pay any more then a grand for my cars, theres absolutly NO NEED...

(A C6 would be exception though)

Id go for a S1.5 (Revised front and rear lights) though...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

citroenxm wrote:Okay... the other poor state is economy, reports being "Only" around the 40mpg mark?
One has to be careful here I would say that the majority of 2.2's were coupled to a 4HP20 auto box and the fuel consumption reflects this. This is my configuration and locally on the daily work run I see 33mpg which is about the same as I used to get out of 2.1 XM auto on the same journey, on a run with lots of Mway it will go to 40 / 42 which again is not a lot different to the XM. However I have seen reports by people with Manual boxes which puts this figure up to to the 45/50 mark, again this seems to be on a par with a 2.1 XM on a manual box.
No, it's not good for a modern 16Valve HDI, the later 2.2's chuck out a 173BHP from basically the same engine with fuel consumption figures that equal or better the later 2.0 ltrs which I guess shows just how wrong they got it.

If I was getting a C5, it would be an Exclusive SE, OR an SX with Sat Nav. I dont particulary want the Sat Nav, more the colour screen in the centre of the dash for impressing..
The Sat Nav is pretty useless but the colour screen is nice for displaying the rest of what it displays.

Im a BIG belever in the 20i 8v HDi engine, as many go massive miles with little problems, and theres no FAP on them.. and I also DO beleve if you are having a DERV engine it needs to eb good on fuel, and i dont think 40mpg from a modern HDi is that good. The XM in 1991 with mechanical injection will do 45 plus, what does that say?

However, the 2.o is the opposite. My answer to that is fit a tuning box. They dont arrear to do any harm, even with my Xantia HDi with 183k.

So I have a catch 22.. Id like a C5, but would like the Sat Nav screen, but Id prefer the 2.o engine. Do I buy a 2.2 and junk it for a 2.o 8v with tuning box?
There are some Mk1 2.0 ltr out there though again not as far as I know in SE trim and the ones I have seen have had the auto box.

A customer on his 2.0 hdi 8v Exclusive has a shown average of 50mpg!
Hmmm... fuel consumption figures are often what people want to make them, if the only mileage the car does is long distance on Motorways or other fast roads then I could believe this otherwise I would be a bit skeptical, add a little bit of stop / start, short journeys, hilly terrain and I would expect the average to be nearer 40. I could be wrong, remain to be convinced :-)

Paul
cachaciero
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Diesel engines and automatic gearboxes are not generally a recipe for good fuel consumption figures, compare manual and auto versions of the latest C5 with the 2.0 HDi and there is something like 8-10 mpg penalty for the automatic version which also puts them into the higher RFL bracket, in fact the consumption and emmisions figures aren't much lower the the 3.0 version so the 2.2 consumptions figures are pretty much in line with an auto box diesel.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Just to chip in with a slightly different view/experience of the SAT NAV.

I think it's really good. I have 2010/11 maps and find it accurate and extremely useful.

The MAP function itself is brilliant. When you're in unfamiliar teritory you can zoom in and out to find alternative routes.

I also have a NAVMAN S80 which has a 3.5 inch screen but it's not as useful as the SAT NAV in the C5.

My mate has a TOMTOM and he's always impressed with the way the C5 SAT NAV works.

I believe that the small wheel down by the handbrake is a precursor to all modern MMI dials on Audi and BMW etc..
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.