Xantia Cooling Fans

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wilsonkrg
My Cars:

Post by wilsonkrg »

There may be also some interaction from the aircon here too. I havn't verified it on a Xantia, but the BX aircon will also switch the cooling fans from low speed to high speed if the gas pressure in the aircon system gets over normal operating level. The BX pressure switch and relay logic has probably been transferred into the 'brain' of the cooling ECU in the Xantia.
Ken
andycarter
My Cars:

Post by andycarter »

I have a Xantia 1.9TD with Aircon. One of my cooling fans has developed a rumble and it seems much wobblier than the other one.
I'm hoping to find a seconhand fan & motor at a scrapyard, does anyone know if the fans differ between petrol / diesel models with / witout aircon?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Andy -
On both BX & CX - some yearmodels had different shaped mounting frames/covlings with different locations for fixing screws - on the 2xfan setups.
I think it's best to simply start removing the dodgy fan from your car - for a quick take away & comparison on the scrapyard.
Note however you must then "quickfit" the dodgy fan with pieces of steelwire or nylonstrips - since the electric fan circuit relies on both fans connected in the circuit.
Thregwort
My Cars:

Post by Thregwort »

Getting back to the thread.
The location of the Bitron sender on petrol Xantias is nothing like the diagramatic shown above from Jon. This is diesel motors only.
On petrol Xantias (at least on mine, which is 1.8i 8v) the Haynes manual is correct - the sender is virtually inacessible and other components need removing. That's lots of other components incidentally. For whatever reason, the sender is located on the opposite side i.e. back, of the thermostat housing and is invisible to the eye. Only by groping underneath the air inlet/ ht coil area can you just about feel what (I assume) is the sender unit!
I'll have a go at removing all the air inlet tubing and brackets next week and see if I can positively ID (brown wire - we're all agreed?) the beast, so I can buy a replacement before removal/replacement.
Thregwort
Oystercatcher
My Cars:

Post by Oystercatcher »

Thanks for that description Simon, mine's just started playing up. Got home Thursday evening and thought it was a bit quiet. Aircon on (and working) but no fans. Bugger.
Had a play tonight and both fans come on slow at 90deg. Temp doesn't rise much further, so I pulled the lead off the Bitron sensor and the left-hand (viewed from the front) fan goes into hyperdrive, while the right-hand fan stops. Can anyone confirm whether this is correct operation for a 1998 (Facelift) SX TD? - Only I'm sure I saw a reply (by Dave B?. Can't find it now) which said only one fan went hyper.
Alan
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Alan, I was refering to a ZX TD when I said only the left hand (viewed from front) fan went hyper, this however may be because of a fault and not actualy how its meant to be, reason being there a still three relays in centre on fan assembly, going by the information supplied by Simon I would expect it to operate with both fans running at high speed and not just the one.
Back to the original thread, if I pull the wiring from the bitron sender on my xantia, this sets both fans going at high speed, so it looks like we have both got a fault somewhere, you with your xantia and me with the zx(no aircon), this is obviously a major problem area for cits and more than likely the reason for many a warped cylinder head.
Dave
Oystercatcher
My Cars:

Post by Oystercatcher »

Thanks Dave, I would expect both to be going too. Guess I need to look at those relays, but standing on my drive by a hot engine doesn't appeal at the moment somehow.
Cheers
Alan
74k miles of trouble-free motoring, but in the last 6k, I've had the idle speed problem, the clutch cable clip and now the dreaded fans. Citroens, don't you just love 'em[:D]
wotsupnow
My Cars:

Post by wotsupnow »

If any of the original posters in this topic are still here can they provide location of the Bitron unit itself, I have a 1.9TD 1998 facelifted version and need to find the Bitron unit as I suspect a broken connection from there to the three relays.
A number of replies simply say " it's ok I've found it now " great for you but not for us !
Please share ..........
Pete