Replacing the stereo - O.E. or aftermarket?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Father Ted

Post by Father Ted »

Sorted. Now installed.

Final issue - I need an updated fascia to convert the non din sized gap to a din sized gap.

Any ideas as to where I would get one?
Father Ted

Post by Father Ted »

Got my radio installed and I must say I am not impressed at all with the fitment and connnectivity via the wheel.

Firstly, the stereo looks pathetic in the aperature left by the old OEM unit. The gaps are rubbish.

Secondly, for some reason the autoleads PC99-X34 adaptor does not scroll through the pre-programmed radio stations as the original unit did.

Any ideas as to how I can improve the look of this. Totally disappointed in both the aesthetics of the installed unit and the performance of the stalk adaptor.

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Get a fascia adapter, most cars require one.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Father Ted

Post by Father Ted »

There is no fascia adaptor for this. Autoleads makes one, but it does not fit the LCD display my car has.

Also, just noticed that the stereo is not holding the preset stations as well as not scrolling through them via the steering column.

I think I'll just send the whole lot back and get a Citroen unit.

So the list of problems are:
1. Ill fit into fascia
2. Steering column cannot scrol through preset stations
3. Preset stations not storing after power off (issue with back-up power, but all connections complete and correct)

Waste of time and money.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Any possibility the display can be changed for the 3 button one that there is a fascia for, or would you be able to cut the 3 button fascia to fit your display?

DIY sphere tool
Father Ted

Post by Father Ted »

I don't want to change for the 3 button display version as I loose information like Ice Alert, #### Door Open, Boot Open, etc.

I could cut the fascia as you suggest and was thinking of this, but the other issues are too much to suffer. If it cannot hold stations it is worthless to me.

I also have reservations about how well the single din fascia would look as the head unit still will not be a flush fit with the fascia but rather recessed due to the shape of the head unit.

Not a great day in my world.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

With regards to the holding of stations, I would expect there were two power feeds, one to the battery for keeping settings, and one to the ignition.
I'm sure my xplod had these seperate to the ISO plug.
Could be that both leads are coming off the ignition so it's losing it's settings when you take the key out?
Otherwise there's something faulty with it.

DIY sphere tool
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Father Ted wrote:I don't want to change for the 3 button display version as I loose information like Ice Alert, #### Door Open, Boot Open, etc.
I think that should read three line display (Type B in Citroen parlance).

I changed the two line display for a three line one some time ago and it is far superior. You get the temperature display all the time and when it's between -3C and +3c just the temperature itself flashes - it doesn't take over anoter line of the display like the two line one does.

The only hassle you'll have is having to put the time and date in as they are stored in the display itself.

Whether this will help you in your radio problem, though, I somehow doubt.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Father Ted

Post by Father Ted »

Xac wrote:With regards to the holding of stations, I would expect there were two power feeds, one to the battery for keeping settings, and one to the ignition.
Could be that both leads are coming off the ignition so it's losing it's settings when you take the key out?
Yip - thanks, that fixed that!

Steering wheel adaptor now working too - I think the aux in on the rear was not fully connected. Still looks naff though.

I did find this guy on another forum, but no reply from him so I'm not sure how he done it. I can't see how he managed to get his unit into that position.

http://www.cxoc.net/index.php?topic=15054.0
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Father Ted wrote:
Xac wrote:With regards to the holding of stations, I would expect there were two power feeds, one to the battery for keeping settings, and one to the ignition.
Yip - thanks, that fixed that!

Steering wheel adaptor now working too - I think the aux in on the rear was not fully connected. Still looks naff though.

I did find this guy on another forum, but no reply from him so I'm not sure how he done it. I can't see how he managed to get his unit into that position.

http://www.cxoc.net/index.php?topic=15054.0
Forty45's replied offering the bloke's email address. You could ask Forty45 for a photo of what the fitted product looks like.

DIY sphere tool