Tesco. Don't you love 'em...

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

I've seen some howlers and of course sometime spoll chickers din't
pack up the error it the sentence... :roll:

damned versatile language mind, English - interestingly, a damned sight
more efficient in square footage compared to other languages. I've just set
a 72 page brochure I designed into French and Italian and they've been
a real PITA nightmare. May take that back when I do the Arabic version
next week - it's all arse backwards and reads like that in all respects...
Nothing moves you like a Citroën
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I've long ascribed my jumbled verbage to excess solvent exposure - brain damage, basically.

That and trying to get French grammar right; at least this side of things can expose you to correct but little used examples of syntax - making one appear more erudite than is the case! :lol:
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

Did anyone else get the email this week from We Buy Any Car, introducing the new Citr.eon DS4? How embarrassing. They can buy any car, but they can't guarantee they'll be able to spell it.
French is best.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote:
myglaren wrote:Lorem ipsum
This is a very famous piece of text used as a 'filler' when setting out a design of say, a webpage or when you want a big lump of text to test something.

Wikipedia has a whole article on it. It's not random at all and in fact the article offers an English Translation!
andmcit wrote:I sometimes make errors in my typing when my fingers have trouble keeping up with my thoughts and I too hurry my re-read.
And
myglaren wrote:I sometimes find that I have written a word perfectly, but reversed. Haven't a clue how that happens
Both these conditions are very commonplace when thinking and typing at the same time. Nothing to worry about and very normal. I do it all the time and quite often type a load of dyslexia! Funnily enough nowadays I can only get my thoughts down by typing. I have totally lost the ability to do it using handwriting.

Some studies believe that this phenomenon is most often seen in those with above-average intelligence. In fact, when I was a kid struggling with my speech it was long thought that I was thinking faster than my vocalisation would allow me to articulate those thoughts and hence I'd trip up on my words and they'd come out as a garbled mess or just jam up - just as our typing often does....
It makes sense.
My handwriting is appaling, when I was 6 and we got our first computer I found it could keep up with my thoughts.
Consiquently my handwriting never developed much further despite being sent to classes when I was 7. At a parents' evening my handwriting teacher said "We don't know what's wrong with Andrew, he's not dyslexic, he's bright, but his handwriting is so slow" Dad replied "You do know he's left handed don't you?" The teacher replied supised "Oh is he?"
I'd been in the class for several months, we were given books on how to sit etc, I just mirrored it so found witing hard work and quite painful.
Of course it didn't change anything, I was just used as an example if someone hadn't done their homework "Andrew's done it, and he's left handed"
I'm actually cross lateral (think ambidextrous but without the benefits - a sign of intelligence though) so use my left hand for eating with a spoon and writting, but everything else is done with my right, except chopsticks, I can use either hand. I'm left eye dominant, but thanks to growing up watching the A Team, I aim with my right eye (it does make using enclosed red dot sights awkward).
These days when writing I'll often start a word from it's second letter, as my mind is moving much faster.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

andmcit wrote: May take that back when I do the Arabic version
next week - it's all arse backwards and reads like that in all respects...
The reason why arabic, and hebrew for that matter, go right to left is due to people being right handed.

Hold a hammer and chisel (or imagine you're holding them) and see which direction is easiest to go in if you hold the hammer in your right hand. Right to left.
Arabic, being a close relative of Hebrew, sharing the same ancester, therefore also goes right to left.
When the Greeks picked up the Aleph Bet they first would change direction at the end of each line, zig zagging down the tablet, before deciding on left to right.

One of the theories on dyslexia like reading difficulties is left eye dominance, where the recessive eye gets the information first then gets overruled by the information from the dominant eye which confuses the brain.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

This is a very famous piece of text used as a 'filler' when setting out a design
Greeking in Latin, no less...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

cant be a DEEZ L FITTER wrote that then :roll:

regards malcolm