Smell in car

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

My BX had been used to transport dogs in.
No problem, thinks I, we'll soon fettle the pong.

Despite many attempts with many different products and tons of anti-pong agents* the smell of dog lingered until the scrapyard came calling. And afterwards probably but it was no longer my concern.

My local car bits vendor, who is an electronics genius and a biochemist, mentioned the Ozone generator to me last week and actually has one waiting for me to collect. It was he who told me of the very effective car pong-neutralizing effect and that a used car salesman he knows in Dublin gives every car a half-hour treatment that makes them smell like new, despite ponging like ashtrays when brought in.

He thinks that it will alleviate my asthma-like symptoms but I'm sceptical about that. I have an ion generator here supplied by him that doesn't do a damned thing.
Theory has it that these produce Ozone too.

*Neutrogena, IIRC.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Thanks for the replies, think i'll look for a hpi exclusive with leather which should be very cheap and swap entire interour then shove hpi onto the bay or auction. The buyer can have the cat along with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

How about asking here: mailto:helpline@cats.org.uk?subect=Cats Contact Form

It's the cats protection league, if they don't know about cat pongs I don't know who does.
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

In the past if I've had a shed of an interior to clean, I've stripped the seats,carpet,parcel shelf etc (anything sprayable) out and taken it down the car wash.

Liberally dose everything in TFR (traffic film remover) or shampoo etc and blast the heck out of it with the jet gun/pressure washer :twisted:
Then vax it up and leave to dry properly.

*this is my own experience,and many many pro valeters do it also, although they'll tell you they don't :wink: so it's at your own risk*

..although I've never had any problems..I do recall one guy who just blasted the interior still in the car..it shorted out with all the water and set it on fire! oh my lord I'd have paid to see the customers face upon collection of his 'minted' car :lol:

*Of course you have to remove / protect anything electrical*

It's amazing just how much muck comes out! and you end up with a fully valeted motor.
Quick bung usually suffices, fiver or summat.

Cat spay smell usually vanishes anyway after a few days,our male cat did it a couple of times in our house..so his tubes got tied :twisted:
Smell disappeared..either that or you get used to it!
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

just had a go with the vax, boiling water and zoflora. The sun is out, left car with windows open (not enough to let cats in!!!!!!), away down to our local festival weekend (scottish traditional boat festival) really an excuse for two days of beer!!!!!!!!! Not working till tues, mite be sober on monday :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

I once looked up how to get rid of smells in the car and found a website that said that a lump of charcoal is a natural odour eater.

If you place a few lumps of charcoal in an open container then this is supposed to naturally absorb odours in the air. It's cheap enough to give it a go
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if its only when the missiz is in the car tell her to try a diferent perfume :roll: :wink:

we had an aufull ongoing pomng problem in my daughters Pissscasspoooo for quite some time, after the valater next to my workshop jet washed the carpets, as they were that bad it was the easyest way to get them clean'ish,

my daughter evetually found some odour killer i belive from ASDA that worked better than all the other products we tried,

i will ask her tomorow what it was,

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

KevMayer wrote:a lump of charcoal is a natural odour eater.
Ahh now there's a good thought Kev. I believe charcoal biscuits are fed to flatulent dogs as an aid to reducing the impact of their emissions...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

so hard one this do you put the dog or the car on the BBQ :twisted: :shock: :lol:

regards malcolm
mendedit
My Cars:

Post by mendedit »

[quote="KevMayer" a lump of charcoal is a natural odour eater.]

I tried this once and found it made me walk funny!
The world is full of them and a lot are in
bigbossa
My Cars:

Post by bigbossa »

Soak in tonic water ...supposed to work ( not the whole car :) )
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote:
KevMayer wrote:a lump of charcoal is a natural odour eater.
Ahh now there's a good thought Kev. I believe charcoal biscuits are fed to flatulent dogs as an aid to reducing the impact of their emissions...
Don't tell danielle or she'll be getting some for me!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

Got it narrowed down to just one bit of the rear seat base thats stinking of cat pee. It's out of the car at the mo and no smell!!!!!!!!! Its now drowned in white vinegar, in the shed, if that dosent work then its off round scrappys to see if i can find one with same interior to scavange
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi Dave

Have You Tried Nutradol thats a very good odour eater it gets rid of all these types of smells Ive used it and it works well you can get it in spray cans look it up on the net its great stuff any you should be able to get it anywhere

Pete ...............
Drives
51 Reg Citroen C5 SX 2.0 16v
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi dave
Look Here At Website im sure you will find this interesting

http://www.neutradol.com/Car-Care/View- ... ducts.html
Hope This Helps

Pete.............
Drives