Xantia Activa

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

Welcome to the forum, James! You've certainly come to the right place as there's quite a few Activa-anoraks on here... :D :wink:

Just had a quick peak at your pictures - the Activa looks very nice indeed and it's got leather too - even better! 8-)

Some lovely pics on Flickr - I'm liking the tilt-shift effect with the CXs at Wolsey House. 8-)

Bit O/T, but what CX did you own?
Franklin
jwalshe
My Cars: Citroen 2CV6
Citroen CX GTi Turbo (Series 1)
Citroen C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive SE
Citroen Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi Desire
Citroen AX TRE
Citroen Dyane

Post by jwalshe »

Thanks for the welcome :)

I was actually lucky enough to own two CXs at different points. The first was a 1985 GTi Turbo 1 (series 2) reg C888 XLJ. I often wonder if it's still on the road. It was in beautiful condition and bought from the late Roger Bradford in 1998. I sold it in 2001 as it would frequently fail to start (some unsolved electrical problem!)

The second was a 1989 22 TRS, which - although rusty - soldiered on for years, doing exceptional mileages without any kind of trouble. I preferred it to be honest - softer and more comfy. For a year, I worked in Newcastle Upon Tyne during the week and Reading at weekends - those trips on the A1 went by without any problems! Ended up selling it to Andrew Brodie in about 2003 I think.

Ultimately I'd love another CX one day but I'm loving the Activa so far!
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Quite the photographer!

A friend of mine has just bought a tilt shift lens, I've been meaning to go on a photoshoot with her as they look great fun :)

This website is useful in finding out what the current status with regards to tax of a car is - http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk

According to that your CX was last tax in 2006 and has been unlicensed ever since. Whether that means its been scrapped or lives in a field somewhere I guess we'll never know.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
jwalshe
Citroen AX TRE
Citroen Dyane

Post by jwalshe »

Well it's nice to think the old thing soldiered on for a few years more! :D
Citroening

Post by Citroening »

It sounds like it was a nice car - you don't see too many of those Turbo 1 1/2s (as I call them!) nowadays being the first of the Series 2s with the earlier engine but there are some still around! The number doesn't ring a bell and as Kev has found out it was last taxed in 2006. BUT, you never know! There a lot of 'undiscovered' finds out there in barns/garage and once in a while they pop out. Bit of trivia for you James in that we were very good friends with Roger and Roger's son now shares our barn and Roger's own CX, his Prestige, is in the barn along with a couple of his other cars including the S1 Xantia V6 and a couple of other CXs.

If you want a CX then I'd advise you to get into the market asap, as prices are rising. A few years ago the TOP money that a high spec, low miles car would be was £3,995. Nowadays, you can double that as I know of two CXs that have sold for £7,000 and £8,000. They are finally on the up! 8-)

If you could make the National Rally then that would be great! I'm trying to get as many Activa's there as possible and with yours that'd be seven! There's also going to be some nice CXs there too... :D
Franklin
Citroening

Post by Citroening »

Just been doing some digging and I think that may be the Activa you bought - bargain! 8-)

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 589#274589
Franklin
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

congrats on the activa and welcome to the club!!! they are a rare beast ... only for those who like to keep it on the level.
why?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Welcome James :D

You'll grow to love the Activa...

The manifold gasket is a bit of a devilish job but doable when you know the little secrets and shortcuts.

I really must write the job up whilst it's still fresh in my mind but in any case it's very similar to how Gareth did it and he's done a very good write up.

The main difference in my method is I neither split the turbo from the manifold itself nor disconnected the cat at the turbo outlet. To not need to do these two things does make it easier in some ways and a bit trickier in others...

Any advice you need, just shout!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jwalshe
Citroen AX TRE
Citroen Dyane

Post by jwalshe »

Citroening wrote:Just been doing some digging and I think that may be the Activa you bought - bargain! 8-)

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 589#274589
Nope - mine is silver. I wouldn't buy a non-runner. This one is MOTd until November so it drives and does so really well!

It's just the exhaust of course, which is being sorted as we speak. So fingers crossed it'll be coming to the rally next month!

Thanks again everyone - such a nice bunch of people! I was a member of an Audi forum with my last car (a 1983 Audi 100) and they were all a bunch of snobs. If it wasn't a Quattro, they weren't interested!

Good to be back in the friendly domain of the Citroen owner again :)
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Everyone knows the audi driver is the new BMW driver :lol:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Citroening

Post by Citroening »

This Activa ties in James - looks very nice too. 8-)
Franklin
jwalshe
Citroen AX TRE
Citroen Dyane

Post by jwalshe »

Yep! That's the one! A few little bits to do as it says but it's clearly been very well looked after.

Evidently the previous owner had it as a company car but bought it from the company and ran it until recently. So on that basis, it has good pedigree. Annoyingly no service history though - so I'll contact Citroen to see if they have a record. You never know!

James
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Good to hear the exhaust is being sorted James...

Hope you do make it to the National...
jwalshe wrote: Thanks again everyone - such a nice bunch of people!
Just you wait until you meet us :wink: :D

Speaking as I find, you'll never find a friendlier lot than Citroen owners.

We don't know the meaning of the word 'snob' around here and that goes throughout the whole sphere (pun not intended) of ownership. Whatever Citroen you drive, it doesn't matter, you're a Citroen owner and thus a full member of the community...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

CitroJim wrote:Good to hear the exhaust is being sorted James...

Speaking as I find, you'll never find a friendlier lot than Citroën owners.

We don't know the meaning of the word 'snob' around here and that goes throughout the whole sphere (pun not intended) of ownership. Whatever Citroën you drive, it doesn't matter, you're a Citroën owner and thus a full member of the community...
As long as it isn't a Saxo of course :lol:
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Dommo wrote:
CitroJim wrote:Good to hear the exhaust is being sorted James...

Speaking as I find, you'll never find a friendlier lot than Citroën owners.

We don't know the meaning of the word 'snob' around here and that goes throughout the whole sphere (pun not intended) of ownership. Whatever Citroën you drive, it doesn't matter, you're a Citroën owner and thus a full member of the community...
As long as it isn't a Saxo of course :lol:
And C5's just aren't as good looking as Xantias (even Mk2 Xantias) :D

FCF = Fewer Cantankerous Farts
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool