Computer operating systems

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: Computer operating systems

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 04 Jul 2021, 11:56
Yes and its the way of the world for all types of car regardless of the powertrain.
Increasingly the mechanic's stock phrase as he audibly sucks in his breath and shakes his head will be...

"Looks like its Its your software mate, problem with one of the billion lines of code, have to refer it to IT to check it out"

REgards Neil
"Oooh, sorry, can't get the code anymore as it's been discontinued. You might be lucky in finding some second hand code, but it's getting hard to find now." :wink:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Dormouse wrote: 04 Jul 2021, 12:12 Windows 11 is coming out now with suggestions that windows 10 owners can upgrade for free. If it is anything like the "free" upgrade from 7 to 8 I got a few years back I will pass on it for the meantime.
Seems to be a mess already.

https://www.theregister.com/2021/06/28/ ... _released/
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It's not out yet - only for developer / insider preview editions.

It's a PR disaster as Microsoft are eliminating most PC users from upgrading due to the stringent requirements. Even their own surface Pro systems on sale now won't be able to upgrade.

They are requiring Trusted Module Platform 2.0 chips and will only support the most recent processors, regardless if your PC is more than capable of running Windows 11 or not. This has resulted in price hiking for TPM chips for consumers that don't have them - yet many don't realise that this will not be sufficient if their processor is not on the supported list.

As Microsoft really only make their money from the OEM manufacturers of new devices via OS licencing, they really don't give a fig about the bulk of existing users and this has been a PR disaster, resulting in them withdrawing their compatibility tool due to all the thousands of negative comments left.

I suspect they will backtrack at some later date as they have now started allowing W10 users on unsupported hardware to install W11 preview builds for testing - but as it stands, anyone who does this will not be able to get any updates or move off of the preview Betas when it is released in October sometime.

Research has shown that even some I5 Intel chips support the new security features as well as many early generation i7 systems - and that Microsoft has tripped themselves up again by contradicting their arguments for not supporting older systems.

They are simply putting in arbitrary security requirements as an excuse to get people to buy new PCs where they make their money. This is not going to end well for them as they have been caught.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

And whilst I'm having a rant about Microsoft, I'll balance it out with my recent experience with Apple.

Basically, my first generation Apple Watch that I pre-ordered when they first came out 6 years ago finally needed a new battery. It's a 42 mm Stainless Steel version with Milanese Loop and cost a tidy sum at the time. It does everything I want and for the reasons I bought it - no complaints at all and I also use it all the time for paying for goods using Apple Pay, so saves me carrying my wallet and is far safer, as no card details are used in any transactions.

So as it was starting to show fully charged, but shortly afterwards started showing the low power warning, I contacted Apple to arrange a battery service: a tad under £100. I don't have an Apple outlet anywhere near me for 100 miles so they sent me all the packing and pre-paid packs via courier.

A few days later I was notified that they have run their diagnostics and will be sending me a replacement product. So what did I receive, but a a later Series 2 generation Apple Watch - with the same finish as mine.

Issue 1) Unable to Pair the watch using my iPhone as my iPhone 6 Plus is limited to the last IOS 12 update. The watch requires IOS 13 on my iPhone to set up my watch - so I am left with an expensive paperweight.

I spent the best part of a day on and off the phone to Apple, stating that I had no intention of upgrading my phone at this time , just to pair my watch, as it serves my needs perfectly well. After being cut off several times and being passed backwards and forwards, I finally got though to a Manager, who said that I would have to send the watch back to them again in order for its firmware to be downgraded several versions to allow my phone to pair it. After another 20 minutes on hold, I lost the will to live and gave up. Apple you have won by grinding me down.

So, I thought, I've either got to send it off for another week or 2 and get a downgraded watch back, or bite the bullet and buy a newer phone. So another 2 days researching phones and models and I've settled on another phone - yet to arrive at some considerable cost.

Issue 2) I noticed when putting a tempered glass screen protector on my Watch in readiness for when my phone arrives, that there was some slight pitting around the bevel where the glass meets the stainless steel. So called Apple up and waited on and off for another 2 hours, sending pictures to them - only to be told ultimately that this will be cosmetic damage and is acceptable!
Apple A.png
Apple B.png
Granted, you may have to zoom these up to see the issue - but in the sunlight, it looks like dirt and you want to keep wiping it. This combined with my OCD = stress! :mecker:

So looks like I will have to get out the Brasso and see if I can polish them away. I suspect it is where the glass has been separated previously for battery replacement where they have to pick the glass out with a sharp object....

No need to guess why they don't make the battery user-serviceable.....

So Apple has been doing for years what Microsoft is now starting to do with Windows 11 - it is so obvious. Every IOS update now generally sees one or two phone models dropped from support and the same for Apple Watch, Ipads and everything else. This is going to become the norm.

As it stands, you can't get any original Apple parts anywhere - period. Apple have seen to it that they are locked into Apple. Resistance has been mounting for years as Apple have steadily been making their products more difficult to service by after-market repairers. They are doing this by locking components to each individual device. So if you take for example, 2 brand new identical iPhones and unbox them, and remove the camera module from each and swap them over, they will not operate properly, giving you a poor image and disabling features! This is effectively stopping your Apple devices from being repaired by anyone other than Apple, who will charge you about 3-4 times what a third party repairer would charge and this is being seen on more Apple devices.

Despite the various 'Right to Repair' cases being heard in the USA, The tech giants are using their money and power to influence or bury right to repair bills in various states:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... epair-laws
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

they just don't give a ****...... Phone only service backup is an easy cop out. Walk into a store and make a fuss and you wouldn't be cut off! The last time a store tried to fob me off by not coming out to deal with my complaint and hoping I would get fed up waiting was sorted sharpish after I said I hoped their security guard had extra sandwiches because I was not leaving until I got everything sorted out. It was. Very quickly and actually relatively painlessly for everyone concerned considering I had been left to fume for well over an hour leading up to closing time.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

You could always tell Apple where to go Marc and set yourself up with my new multifunction life set which I intend to bring to market in due course, here's a secret preview:
Spoiler: show
Own work
Own work
:-D :-D :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

Love the abacus - way to advanced a device for most people. You have missed out the teeny tiny people or am I confusing my adverts for modern assistance apps/technology?
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Dormouse wrote: 04 Jul 2021, 16:35 Love the abacus - way to advanced a device for most people. You have missed out the teeny tiny people or am I confusing my adverts for modern assistance apps/technology?
I have only included necessary elements of the Apple equipment and avoided all unnecessary components which have only been included because they have to keep their developers in work!! :-D :-D

Many years ago I learnt the two rules of my life: KISS and If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it!! Nothing wrong with the wheel is there? :-D
Last edited by mickthemaverick on 04 Jul 2021, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I was unfortunate enough to take an unplanned dip in the River Thames recently. While I was OK neither my phone or camera were, as I had both on me at the time. A couple of days later I was in Oxford, and went into the O2 store, as I had provider insurance on the phone. I was able to get the claim started, and then paused (until I got back home; I was helping my Mum move her narrow boat). Once I was home I got the claim re-activated, the phone was collected on a Monday, and a decent replacement (same make, model and colour) arrived on Saturday.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The very reasons that I avoid Microsoft and Apple products.
They have nothing that I need and cost far too much and introduce many unnecessary complications.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

Customer service should just be exactly that. Simples! Apple products are not cheap - their service should match their prices.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Dormouse wrote: 04 Jul 2021, 17:24 Customer service should just be exactly that. Simples! Apple products are not cheap - their service should match their prices.
But their service IS the same as their prices - horrendous!! :-D
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

touche
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Ah, Apple's walled garden of delights. Or rather walled gardens, many of which of which only have a one-way door to the next one. A significant number have no door at all of course.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I've been reading about Win 11 on another forum where a couple of guys are on the insider programme list, so far they say it's very good, very fast, even the cpu stuff that's claimed to not be up to spec works ok.

I'm not frightened of the Microsoft updates at all I've been through them all from even before Windows and I'm still here using them, Win 10 at the moment and as soon as the free upgrade to Win 11 is offered I'll be in.

On the subject of customer care, one of our mechanics got sent to Kuwait on his national service, dived into the gulf with his pretty basic Timex watch on, it died.
It was suggested to him that he returned it to Timex to claim for a replacement, they sent him a letter saying that the watch he'd bought was never intended to be waterproof but as a goodwill gesture for a British soldier doing his duty abroad they were sending him their latest top of the range watch free.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.