Computer operating systems

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Computer operating systems

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

doctle wrote: 19 Jun 2019, 21:58 Eye for an eye!

True, but to show that justice was done (and SEEN to be done) they allowed reporters to televise the whole process. Not for voyeurism; it was because (by ancient custom) we had the right to see that the criminals did not have more pain inflicted upon them than they had inflicted upon their victim.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Well my first 3 computers....
10878AB2-273F-449C-940C-015ABB8A3F1A.jpeg

Those were the days and no Microsoft updates. In fact no updates at all 👍
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 19 Jun 2019, 23:08 Well my first 3 computers....

That's definitely worthy of being elevated to the dizzy heights of "Picture(s) of the Day" nice composition as well Marc from an artistic point of view. A definite "Remember these...All our Yesterdays" but 33 and1/3% off topic for "A Nice Pair-but too easy for a whatsthisthen?" :-D

Regards Neil

PS how do you do fractions? 1/3 isnt one of the options on the math symbols :)
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 19 Jun 2019, 20:55 I remember reading a clever Sci Fi story, in that Mankind had managed to get out amongst the Stars and meet other Interstellar Species. In the story in question one wealthy man got talking to a member of another species about AI. This species had, in the past, managed to make a true AI, but there were issues. This man managed to convince the other person to explain what they did (as he was sure he could make the AI work properly). He spent huge amounts of money, and the AI system DID work for a while, but then it shut down, and nothing they did could keep it turned on for any meaningful amount of time (and the man was now pretty much bankrupt). When he later talked to the species who explained the AI to him he found out that this is what had happened to their AI, and, as far as they could tell, it was because the AI had solved every problem put to it, and then got terminally bored!

I thought you were going to say it had joined Unison. :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 07:51 That's definitely worthy of being elevated to the dizzy heights of "Picture(s) of the Day" nice composition as well Marc from an artistic point of view. A definite "Remember these...All our Yesterdays" but 33 and1/3% off topic for "A Nice Pair-but too easy for a whatsthisthen?" :-D

Regards Neil

PS how do you do fractions? 1/3 isnt one of the options on the math symbols :)
Alas - I must confess that is not my picture Neil - it just happened to showcase the Sinclair systems that I owned. I did dip out on the Sinclair QL - but my Spectrum 48+ was to be my last domestic computer until my MSDOS '286'! :-D

There is no ASCII code for ⅓ as the character set is limited to 256 and this wasn't included - but you can get it using unicode in Windows...
  • Press the Windows key and 'R'.
  • In the command line box, type charmap and press OK.
Char A.PNG
Char B.PNG
Click 'Advanced View'This will display the advanced options...
Char C.PNG
char D.PNG
Now type 2153 in the 'Go to Unicode' box.
It will change the code page.
In the top left corner, click on ⅓ and click 'Select' button, the press 'Copy'.
This will now copy the symbol to the clipboard that you can paste into your Forum post.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
NewcastleFalcon

GiveMeABreak wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 09:45 There is no ASCII code for ⅓ as the character set is limited to 256 and this wasn't included - but you can get it using unicode in Windows......
Much appreciated Marc...I've got the hang of it now :-D

⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓
⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓
⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓
⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓
⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓
⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓
⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓
⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓
⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓
⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓
⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓

⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓
⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓
⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓
⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓
⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓
⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓
⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓
⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓
⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓
⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓
⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓
⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓⅓

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Post by doctle »

And there was me thinking artificial intelligence was a blonde with her hair dyed brown
Oh buggle
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

There will also be a series of keystrokes to get unicode for ⅓.

I cheat and use the character map as I can never remember the codes for åäö & ÅÄÖ.
Screenshot from 2019-06-20 11-04-08.png
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Updated one of the laptops to Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia.
Mint online updates have been fiddly in the past so just did a clean install, necessitating dragging my crap onto a dongle, installing the new version then dragging the crap back again.
This time the online update was simpler. 20 minutes and I could still use the laptop while it updated, a reboot at the end and all done, nothing broke and all my crap still in perfect nick (fortunately.
doctle

Post by doctle »

myglaren wrote: 18 Dec 2019, 19:51 Updated one of the laptops to Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia.
Mint online updates have been fiddly in the past so just did a clean install, necessitating dragging my crap onto a dongle, installing the new version then dragging the crap back again.
This time the online update was simpler. 20 minutes and I could still use the laptop while it updated, a reboot at the end and all done, nothing broke and all my crap still in perfect nick (fortunately.
I want to update my mint 18 serena but it's on a dual boot and there's no upgrade option on the update manager. ny ide how to upgrade?
Oh buggle
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

One of the other computers is dual boot so will have a fiddle with that tomorrow.
It also has Ubuntu on it that I upgraded in October and it didn't affect Mint.
They are upgraded a couple of months apart and have been for the past ten years without one affecting the other, apart from the latest upgrade becoming the default in GRUB, which makes no practical difference. Ubuntu has had simple online upgrades for a few years but until today I have always clean-installed mint.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Second laptop and the dual-boot desktop upgraded with no issues. Nothing broken, as usual.
doctle

Post by doctle »

I upgraded via the terminal it's windows speed update but worth it when you boot no windows speed then!
Oh buggle
NewcastleFalcon

This thread has had somewhat of a decline. No posts for a year and a half :-D

Of course these days, cars are more and more like computers on wheels, and its a "bit of a head in hands haven't a clue" for the ordinary mortal if things "Gang aft a-gley.” as Robert Burns would put it.

Well fear not, should you have a problem of losing power on your £100,000 Porsche Taycan don't worry. The old tried and tested method of IT support works....
Notably, the issue can also be remedied by turning the car off and then on again like a home router. Obviously not the best remedy, especially if traveling through a tunnel or bridge.
Porsche are dragging them into the workshops to do it though, and a little more software tinkering.
Porsche is reviewing and updating the software for the power electronics and the engine control unit on approximately 43,000 units of Taycan and Taycan Cross Turismo vehicles from the 2020 to 2021 model years, of which about 3,400 are in Germany.

In case of the affected vehicles, there is the possibility that in certain instances a shutdown of the power train, resulting in loss of motive power may be triggered incorrectly and sporadically. A software update will be installed in the workshop.

The issue was already remedied in the ongoing series. Owners of the affected vehicles can continue to use them and will be contacted directly by their responsible Porsche partner. A workshop appointment that will be free of charge should take place as soon as possible and the software update will take about an hour.
Yes and its the way of the world for all types of car regardless of the powertrain.
Increasingly the mechanic's stock phrase as he audibly sucks in his breath and shakes his head will be...

"Looks like its Its your software mate, problem with one of the billion lines of code, have to refer it to IT to check it out"

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

Windows 11 is coming out now with suggestions that windows 10 owners can upgrade for free. If it is anything like the "free" upgrade from 7 to 8 I got a few years back I will pass on it for the meantime.