c5 front suspension knock

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

I bought Lemdorfer drop link a couple of years ago for my Xantia from GSF
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I had a light, slightly tinny rattle to my Xantia's front end while driving on less smooth roads. Turned out to be the balljoint heat shields. A bit of careful peening fixed that!
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Update

Well i still have this knock but what seems to be happening is that it comes from the rear as well so i have the same noise all round the 4 wheels the other day my as my partner got in the car there was a click noise from the rear of the car as she got in the front and it was the same sound i get when going over speed bumps so what this is leading me to is,

I'm now thinking this could be something to do with the suspension spheres can they make this noise if they are on the way out? as the car is still fitted with the original spheres and its a 2001 car the suspension doesn't seem hard like my xantia did when they went but I'm thinking have these got something to do with the problem because all the mechanical parts on the suspension are solid and have no play
Drives
51 Reg Citroen C5 SX 2.0 16v
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Clicking like that from the rear sounds more like trailing arm bearings. Does the rear creak when the suspension is raised and lowered? Is there uneven rear tyre wear?
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

UPDATE

There,s no uneven tyre wear but i have found a leak on the N/S/R suspension strut and this needs replacing :shock: ........ a common fault I'm led to belive.......... also where are the rear bump stops as i cant see where they would be but according to Citroen they should be there but i cant see any :shock:. Another cause for the knocking maybe at the rear end.......... also since my last post i have had the front looked at yet again and it needed both front ball joints replacing and both front drop links......... these Ive had all replaced today now its all quiet on the front.............. When it was first checked they left the suspension up but according to a Citroen Indy dealer your supposed to release all the pressure from the suspension before you can check these parts then the wear becomes apparent. its just the back of the car that is my problem now :roll:

Pete............
Drives
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Update

Ive had it confirmed Now by Citroen that the knock i am getting is definitely the nearside rear suspension strut that has failed and needs replacing Ive been advised to get it done ASAP as this puts more pressure on the other side and could cause that one to go to,

All the rear arm bearings will do is squeak when they go and the struts are the only thing on these cars that will cause a loud knock like this when everything else checks out ok and this imformation comes direct from Citroen

Pete
Drives
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

UPDATE

It was not the suspension strut the knock was still there after i had it replaced so in the end it was the radius arm bearings BOTH SIDES so i decided to cure it by part exchange :lol: i now have a 51 plate c5 2 litre with no knocks at all and it got a lot more kit as well so im well happy now :D

Pete.......
Drives
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's one way to cure it Pete :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good work! Sounds like a result all round :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Yes, radius arm bearings are not majorly uncommon on cars with higher mileage. They they are fairly easy and inexpensive to replace, very similar to Xantias.

What was your previous C5?

Congratulations on the new one, so long as its a 2.0 16v and not a HPi petrol, your only a winner.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

At 90K I would suggest a close look at the lower ball joints, again difficult to see wear with the lower arm still attached, unless they are about ready to fall apart. Really need to remove the lower arm and feel the "pin" directly in it's normal road position.
Worth commenting that wear in suspension components is quite likely to be missed if the wheels are hanging down, Under these conditions none of the bearings are where they actually would be on the road i.e a lot of bearing bits will actually be sitting in unworn areas under these conditions.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi citroenmad

Its The 16v 2.0 litre version what's wrong with the HPI version? let me know The radius arm job would have come to a further £250 and if that did,nt cure it what next i came to that conclusion because everything else possible had been replaced even the with the new strut i had fitted was still a knocking noise coming from that wheel well it was coming from both sides.

hi cachaciero

I Have now Part exchanged the car but as it goes i did replace both lower ball joints and drop links on that car but the knock just carried on

Thanks for All your reply,s much appreciated

Kind Regards
Pete..............
Drives
Xantianut
My Cars: 2002 C5 2.0 HDi 110 SX

RIP:
1993 Xantia 1.8i LX
1989 BX16TRS
1986 BX14E x 2

Re: c5 front suspension knock

Post by Xantianut »

Ay up!

After changing the drop link and the suspension arm, the knock went away briefly and is now back, just as loud.

Before, it sounded to be coming from the arm and, when I got it off, it was in a rather dangerous state so no wonder the bushes were knocking. Thing is, now,it,sounds to be from the strut top. Unlike,later iterations, my Mk1 has no bearings in the tops to knock, does it? No play anywhere on the lhs and believe me, my pry bars have pried into areas of Otterchops that she did NOT appreciate! Both with and without weight on the suspension.

Any ideas?

The 4lb hammer awaits.......
C5 HDi 110 SX (Fifi 7 or Otterchops)

RIP
Citroen Xantia 1.8i LX (Fifi 6)
BX16TRS (x2) (Fifi 4 and 5)
BX19DTR (Fifi 2)
BX14E (x2) (Fifi 1 and 3)
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Mmm....don't like the sound of that.
Not the pesky bottom ball joint? Not a cheapo drop link that has broken quickly again?
I had a banging last week. It was drop link but no play whatsoever with pry bars. Put a Lemforder on it and now ok.
Sometimes with that bottom ball joint you have to pry in a certain direction only to find play. I normally do what the chaps do at mot. Lifted wheel and a huge bar under tyre and small block of wood. Did you give that bottom ball joint a good pull when you had radius arm off?
Maybe get it on front ramps and go under while someone rock the steering. That lets you look at a few things.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Xantianut
My Cars: 2002 C5 2.0 HDi 110 SX

RIP:
1993 Xantia 1.8i LX
1989 BX16TRS
1986 BX14E x 2

Post by Xantianut »

Sorted!

Turned out to be the upper drop link nut that had worked loose. Interesting, I shall be checking them regularly as part of the service regime from now on.
C5 HDi 110 SX (Fifi 7 or Otterchops)

RIP
Citroen Xantia 1.8i LX (Fifi 6)
BX16TRS (x2) (Fifi 4 and 5)
BX19DTR (Fifi 2)
BX14E (x2) (Fifi 1 and 3)