YACQ (...yet another computer question)

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

addo wrote:Mostly sorted on the specs now (built around a Core i7 2600K CPU), getting hung up on graphics cards.

Looking for good suggestions on cards, must have dual DVI (not linked). 1GB or more, wondering how much difference between DDR3 and 5 if not playing shoot 'em up games.

"HIS" branded stuff seems good value - a red herring? Working budget for a card AUD$220 (£140) including postage.

As a side note, the prefab systems here have some gotchas. By the time you purchase Win7/64B (they are loaded with a trial version) and upgrade to 8GB of name brand RAM plus add a respectable PSU you are back at being cheaper to build by a couple of hundred...
An i7 2600K is a lot of CPU, even for gaming. A hardcore gamer friend of mine put an i5 2500 in his new build and it is overkill... The other obvious suggestion is that if you're going over 4GB of RAM you need a 64 bit version of Windows to use the extra RAM.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Yes, 8GB. There's SFA difference in overall cost of RAM here, and a few places have been discounting the legit W7 OEM packs very heavily (I'm ignoring cracked versions where you buy access to a download). Also I am trying to allow for a service life equal to the present/outgoing unit (around eight years) and with that, increasingly memory-hungry scripting...

What I've found with the video cards is in the nVidia chipped ones, there is some difference between brands in output formats at otherwise the same spec - that is, for example a GTX550 in one brand has a single DVI whereas another brand has dual DVI (which I want).