First Check for the Source of the Leaks

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

John Plum
My Cars:

First Check for the Source of the Leaks

Post by John Plum »

I'm giving you a load of words, some poor excuses; for no new information, but to re-iterate: just get down to it and make the proper checks and identify the source of the leak in a thorough way, by cleaning up properly, and going in with a torch - a mirror if needed. Be sure. Doesn't matter if you don't know the system inside out. You can do that ID any way, first.

All is well. But I worried unnecessarily. For 18 months I've been running my Xantia, after a through overhaul since buying it 3rd owner, which I documented here somewhere, and got the benefit of indispensible help from this forum's members.

Overall it's been OK. Though handy with a spanner, and familiar with Citroens through my previous car, a BX, It's still a lot to consider when taking over a car that is not in tip top condition - people let them run down before they get rid of them. So I want to let things rest a while, and niggles then get to bother me while I have other things to do. I begin to see the car as an ordeal... not straightforward. I did very little more to her. Had to change the auto gearbox oil, that''s all, and refill the LHM after doing an internal clean.

Some time ago ( about 8 months ago) after loud bang from the rear on the motorway going over bumps in a rough 'in preparation' road, the car seemed to develop a seepage in around the rear central sphere. I couldn't deal with it then, and observed. I've had an awful lot on my plate, you see.

But of course, I had to get down eventually to brass tacks - simple things. I had to clean it up, observe and identify the leak. I didn't do that properly; It seemed to be coming from the central sphere itself, though I wasn't sure. The LHM moves around all over the place to give possible false indications.

260 miles away from home at 6pm it started dripping fast when pressurized, still or moving. I managed to get 2 litres of LHM and sped home for four hours - there were two diversions, and A roads to cover ( Christchurch Dorset to Liverpool). Lost a litre or so.

Thanks to this post, I got the information lined up: I feared the worst a electro-valve seals.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... ctive+leak

But actually, at the rear they're unlike the front on my Xantia, or those in the pictured in that post cited, so far as I can see. Confusing!

Pulling the fuse for hydractive system did not stop the leak (a great tip), so I TOOK A PROPER LOOK and identified the source: it was the rear pipe going in to the central sphere, that's all. It only needed tightening (I have a spare seal with me in case). It seemed well loose; as if, since fitting a new sphere, it needed re-tightening. More likely the thread was 'catching a bit', and I missed that, not wanting to over-tighten. Also, I had done so much in a short space of time. Who bothers re-tightening pipe seals after a week or so?

Thanks to all you good folk.
John
Last edited by John Plum on 02 Jun 2011, 23:43, edited 1 time in total.
John Plum
Xantia II Estate,1999, 2.0 HDI LX, 17000 miles, manual
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

glad its sorted John.. often the things you dread and put up with, are not the nightmares you imagined...

(I usualy then kick myself for not sorting them sooner) :D

john
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

Yeah thanks, Blimey! that post was badly written - how did you manage to make sense of it? had to re-edit it.
John Plum
Xantia II Estate,1999, 2.0 HDI LX, 17000 miles, manual
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Ah yes, a collection of nuggets of thoughts :lol:

Its always good when it turns out not to be a major showstopper!
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair