Citroen Zx16v

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Citroen Zx16v

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Get a Xantia HDi instead, or (if finances will permit) as well.
James, that makes good sense :-D I suggested an XM as I know you have a soft spot for them Mark...
bxzx16v

Post by bxzx16v »

I certainly do Jim , whatever I get has to be a good load carrier when needed , an Xm would be nice but common sense says a xantia Hdi estate maybe , in almost 3 yrs I've had the Zx it's never let me down , I know it only does minimal mileage of around 2k a year but its been the best car I've had really for reliability and considering it's 18 this year it will take some beating . But it was pampered by the previous owner who had it nearly 15 yrs , it certainly pays in my experience to buy the best you can and it hopefully pays of in the long term , now where's that 1 owner xantia Hdi exclusive estate for £1000 :wink: . In matching emerald green too :shock: .

Mark
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2021

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

OK, it's not green, but other than that, will this one do?;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999V-CITROEN ... 19ddd051f3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or maybe this one;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-Xanti ... 2a2d95a98e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

bxzx16v wrote:now where's that 1 owner xantia Hdi exclusive estate
It does seem like a HDi Exclusive estate would suit your needs perfectly Mark, they are a very good allrounder.
bxzx16v

Post by bxzx16v »

The doblo is booked in for next Friday to have it's egr valve replaced which I managed to get from euro carparts for an unbelievable £95 , I had seen some as high as £170 :shock: . I would do the job myself but after attempting to remove the old egr a while back to clean it and being beaten by two unaccessable bolts I thought sod it and let the garage next door to us have the hassle . The Zx is going by it's daily duties like clockwork and will hopefully be getting a machine polish soon after a trip over to Huddersfield for a few cleaning goodies , namely some scholl concepts polishing compound and maybe a chemical guys hexlogic pad to accompany it , I'll get some pics up when I start on the old girl . There's also some cleaning and rust removal coming up too soon underneath starting with the spare wheel carrier and some very minor surface rust on a couple of sections , then a liberal coating of bilt hambers finest .

Mark
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I agree it's the sensible course to let the pros do an EGR valve. Anything to do with exhausts gives me the screaming heebie-jeebies and it's work I'll always farm out these days.. My absolute limit is swapping oxygen sensors...

Seems odd that EGR valves fail and cost so much. The old XUD ones never failed in my experience. Better designed and made I guess...

Hope it all goes OK...
bxzx16v

Post by bxzx16v »

I hope so too Jim , theres a good chance it might be going once it's sorted , it's just such a hoot to drive though and that 1.9 multijet really is something else , it really shouldn't be that nippy and fun for such a vehicle but it is , it's certainly got character and bags of it at that .

Mark
Trainman
Donor 2018

Post by Trainman »

Mark,

After having had the EGR valve done on the C6, I have to say it's a pleasure to drive again, and mine was a darn sight more expensive that yours :twisted: It will be like driving a new van again. :-D
bxzx16v

Post by bxzx16v »

I've only decided to get it sorted because I maybe selling it soon , its runs like a dream this last year or so with it stuck shut , but the eml stays on and the dash display says engine failure so I thought better get it sorted , I did think of blanking it off but you still get the eml on .

Mark
Trainman
Donor 2018

Post by Trainman »

Mine was stuck open and it ran like a bag of nails, it felt like fuel starvation and drove like it, if you accelerated it was fine, as soon as you slowed down, it would splutter.
bxzx16v

Post by bxzx16v »

Get that Zx volcane Td Steve , low tech is best :wink: .

Mark
Trainman
Donor 2018

Post by Trainman »

bxzx16v wrote:Get that Zx volcane Td Steve , low tech is best :wink: .

Mark
Don't worry it's still on the cards, going over to see Mark next week and we can have a chat, He's got a BX in bits at the moment that he's getting ready for the National. :-D So time,as usual, is the problem........... well that and the money tree at the bottom of the garden is losing it's leaf's....... :roll:
bxzx16v

Post by bxzx16v »

Tell me about it Steve , the Zx has just had a new exhaust & timing belt and water pump and the doblo has had two front tyres and fully tracked as the two fronts were destroyed also a service and now the egr this Friday , so around £700 on the pair of them . Mind you the Zx has been faultless in the nearly 3 yrs I've had it , just regular jobs nothing daft really .

Mark
bxzx16v

Post by bxzx16v »

It looks like the Zx maybe taking on daily duties fulltime soon , it all depends on what happens this next week ?!? It's got 12/18 months to do and it may then be retirement to the garage for the old girl .

Mark
bxzx16v

Post by bxzx16v »

Everything has been up in the air for the last week or too , I was going to px the doblo and due to really needing to get down to one car I was looking at selling the 16v . Well that has now changed , Mrs M has been after a 4x4 (a sensible one) and has got her eye on a couple . It may not be for a while but when she gets one I will be taking over the running of her Laguna 3 . So the Zx will now be taking on daily duties as I have took my private plate of the doblo , I've also had the Egr valve sorted , eventually fitting a quality pierburg one . Now all that remains is to put 12 months MoT on it and sell it . I took the Laguna out for a run this afternoon and I never fail to be impressed by this car , I put the climate control on to supercool and it was sublime , I love the Zx but this REALLY runs it close . So it looks like a good session courtesy of bilt hamber should see the Zx ready for winter , my wife says it won't like being used everyday but I have 100% faith in it after all in nearly 3 yrs other than being left and the immobiliser/alarm draining the battery it has always started first time everytime .

Mark