XM driving seat for Xantia?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Is that Xantia of yours a s2 if it's a TD auto? Quite a rare spec - must
be the auto adaptive variable box rather than the 3 distinct stepped
speeds of the older box. Just wondered what miles you've had out of it?

Andrew
Nothing moves you like a Citroën
LD

Post by LD »

I'm afraid I don't know the difference between an s1 and an s2 – what should I look for? It's S registered if that tells you anything.

There are three types of auto box shown in the handbook; mine is the latest. It has buttons for Sport, Snow and 1st gear. It doesn't say anything about auto-adaptive.

I'd actually prefer the previous type of box, as it would be possible to use the Snow position to get the car into 3rd. On mine the Snow button just cuts out 1st and starts off in 2nd. Citroen have set the change up from 2nd to 3rd around 33 mph; which means that if you stay legal in a built-up area, the revs are unnecessarily high; to get into 3rd you need to go up to around 35 then drop the speed back, which is fiddly. However, I sort of gather that trying to modify this is horrendously complicated, so I put up with it.

I just looked up the urban speed limit in France, and found that it's 50 kph, which corresponds to 31 mph, so French drivers must have the same problem.

Under brisk acceleration the change from 1st to 2nd is harsh, but my mechanic says that's typical; and not worth looking into unless it gets very bad, as it's so expensive to sort out. He says some Renaults use the same box, and they do the same. Service records show that some extensive and expensive work was done on the gearbox a while back; I have a feeling that auto boxes don't really like diesel engines.

I've only had it a few years - mileage is around 88,000. I presume a diesel engine will do at least twice that?
C5 HDi 2.2 auto hatchback Exclusive SE (2001)
Xantia TDSX auto hatchback (1999) (sold - gone to Belfast!)
Peugeot 504 GL auto saloon (1973)
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

S plate is a series 2 car with possible side air bags which makes it a bit more complex...

However as said air bags are NOT mot tested so the car wont fail.. Youll just have annoying yellow air bag lights flashing which would possibly need the clocks taking out and the bulbs removing..... I did my seat conversion in a s1 car with just a drivers steering air bag... No seat air bags...

You would be better fitting s2 xantia electric leather with multi adjustment... It works for me as i suffer badly with back problems with standard xantia seats....

Anyway.. That aside.. Wow a 504! Impressive piece of engineering... An auto. Thats the live forever borg warner box? Or is it early zf?. ? I do actually like the 504 smart motors! What engine is that then?

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Ive since learnt that Peugeot have stay faithfull to ZF, and this uses the ZF 3HP22 auto box.

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
LD

Post by LD »

Fortunately I've got the possible side air bags, not real ones, so that's one less problem to worry about. It's very helpful to know that better Xantia seats give such an improvement; as our friend in Hants is willing to spend time looking into the XMseatsinXantia question for me, and to donate the seat, I'll await his advice before investigating further.

I honestly don't understand car mechanics enough to know that a 504 is an “impressive piece of engineering”, though friends who do understand say it's a simple, conventional car “over-engineered”. I just know that, as a driver, I find every response to every control in every situation absolutely perfect. Citroen fans get cross with me when I say how much better the ride is than even a Xantia, but it's fact of physics – long-travel suspension soaks up the bumps. Modern motorists haven't the faintest idea how comfortable a car can be.

The engine is what they call a 2 litre, though it's actually a fraction less.

I believe there are only six other examples of that exact model in the UK now – a 2 litre GL automatic. Mine dates from 1974.

LD
C5 HDi 2.2 auto hatchback Exclusive SE (2001)
Xantia TDSX auto hatchback (1999) (sold - gone to Belfast!)
Peugeot 504 GL auto saloon (1973)