My 100th post topic-Working in a muddy puddle

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I have in the past been stupid enough to jack and prop up one side of a car so far that it fell over onto its side. It gained a couple of dents, but was only an old banger anyway :D Took a good shove to push it back onto its wheels, though!

I use one of those foam sleeping mats sold for camping to kneel or lie on whether I'm working indoors or out - pretty comfortable and warm, but not too thick to use under the car.
civvie
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: different types over the years.when younger
Peugeot 405 estate
xantia estste 1.9d
c5 2.2 hdi hatchback
Peugeot 3008 1.6 hdi
Hyundai tuscon

Post by civvie »

Although I am lucky to have a concrete standing to do repairs I obtained an offcut of some cushion floor Nairn? floorcovering from the local carpet shop, it also had a bit of padding and it was big enough.
Don't do raining any more.
Steve

C5 2.2hdi auto until I sell it (sold it) now have Peugeot 3008 1.6HDI (Now sold)
Had the jab a couple of days ago. Feb 21
NewcastleFalcon

Re: My 100th post topic-Working in a muddy puddle

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

This thread has been selected by the random hand of the FCF Archives February Ferret 2023, have a read back only a couple of pages. Some contributions from members still contributing today, remind yourselves of what you said in 2011!
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 08 Feb 2023, 08:47 I will be attempting at least one new post on the old thread, I'm sure the 2023 FCF audience can add to the thread contributed to by the 2011 FCF audience.

Go on, dare you! Click the link and just do it!

viewtopic.php?t=35597
So far the challenge has foundered on stony ground. so an addition to the old thread from yours truly.
Its not always raining and muddy in the outside workshop and I have summer MOT's on the Leaf and the Micra having turned into very much a fair weather car fixer wherever possible. The Clio in the maintenance fleet still has a February MOT, and I have been wrestling with it in the workshop. At least it hasn't been wet...windy/cold yes, and darkness falls soon in the winter to stop play and bash your head on the sticky out jack as you struggle to get in position to line up the lower ball joint through bolt.

Back in 2011, the year of the muddy puddle post, the double double chevrons bonnet job after the famous speared suspension strut on the Xantia wrecked the bonnet of the lighter blue car, the easiest thing to do was take the bonnet of the "spares" dark blue car with its bonus of the double chevrons on the bonnet.
temp2.jpg
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

I have been fortunate to have had at least a concrete drive to work on all my motoring life. From 16 -23 I had the drive at my parents house and 24 - 42 the same drive when I bought the house from them!! :-D I completed all sorts of jobs, from servicing to replacing rear diff and gearbox on one of the Reliants, using ramps, trolley jack and three bottle jacks according to the job. If it was raining I used to rig a tarpaulin over the whole area and work away as I didn't really worry about the weather. When you have had to crawl through the mud under an RS2000 in the middle of the night in Kielder Forest to reattach the exhaust, a few rain drops don't really bother you! :-D

However as my personal income grew I was able to afford to rent various garages and then workshops to allow me to work in relative comfort with a pretty decent set of equipment and tools. Having done that for the last 30ish years of my life I have worked out where I went wrong!! Something to do with getting married and breeding!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
civvie
(Donor 2020)
Peugeot 405 estate
xantia estste 1.9d
c5 2.2 hdi hatchback
Peugeot 3008 1.6 hdi
Hyundai tuscon

Post by civvie »

Many year ago, and I mean many years. My first car a ford zephyr mark 1 with a 6 cylinder engine. It blew a con rod through the block, my father and I removed the engine in the road outside the house. The awkward thing we had no hoist or anything like that, we managed it by sliding the engine on a scaffold board and pulling it out the front after removing the radiator etc. Just as we got it out we had a visit from the local plod, someone had complained about us.
Steve

C5 2.2hdi auto until I sell it (sold it) now have Peugeot 3008 1.6HDI (Now sold)
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I had a similar one where I was helping a mate restore his Midget on the roadside after it got hit by a hit and run. We were getting on OK until he received a letter from the council requesting him to stop - and that was the end of that escapade :(
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

civvie wrote: 08 Feb 2023, 21:24 Many year ago, and I mean many years. My first car a ford zephyr mark 1 with a 6 cylinder engine. It blew a con rod through the block, my father and I removed the engine in the road outside the house. The awkward thing we had no hoist or anything like that, we managed it by sliding the engine on a scaffold board and pulling it out the front after removing the radiator etc. Just as we got it out we had a visit from the local plod, someone had complained about us.
Pleased to see your post Steve (Civvie) :-D You are an early joiner to the FCF 2002, and a contributor to this thread in 2011 and 2023. I'm claiming a bit of reflected glory again for that...pleased the FCF Archives February Ferret indirectly resulted in today's post from you. :-D

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I've done a Xantia 1.9TD cylinder head swap on the side of the road many years ago... Helping an erstwhile member of this very forum, Xac, outside his house... It was not possible to remove the car to more suitable premises...

In fact Xac and I did loads to his fleet right outside his house on the road... Nobody seemed to mind...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
civvie
(Donor 2020)
Peugeot 405 estate
xantia estste 1.9d
c5 2.2 hdi hatchback
Peugeot 3008 1.6 hdi
Hyundai tuscon

Post by civvie »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 08 Feb 2023, 21:52
civvie wrote: 08 Feb 2023, 21:24 Many year ago, and I mean many years. My first car a ford zephyr mark 1 with a 6 cylinder engine. It blew a con rod through the block, my father and I removed the engine in the road outside the house. The awkward thing we had no hoist or anything like that, we managed it by sliding the engine on a scaffold board and pulling it out the front after removing the radiator etc. Just as we got it out we had a visit from the local plod, someone had complained about us.
Pleased to see your post Steve (Civvie) :-D You are an early joiner to the FCF 2002, and a contributor to this thread in 2011 and 2023. I'm claiming a bit of reflected glory again for that...pleased the FCF Archives February Ferret indirectly resulted in today's post from you. :-D

Neil
Neil, Thanks for the response must admit since age and health has made me stop doing my own repairs and left the PSA group cars I feel I have lost the ability to help members. Don't want to send anyone in the wrong direction. But still look in often.
Steve

NewcastleFalcon

civvie wrote: 09 Feb 2023, 09:05 Neil, Thanks for the response must admit since age and health has made me stop doing my own repairs and left the PSA group cars I feel I have lost the ability to help members. Don't want to send anyone in the wrong direction. But still look in often.
Many of us who still enjoy this particular forum have the flimsiest connections with French cars with mine being a Renault Clio in the maintenance fleet. Plenty of interest and enjoyment in the over 4,000 topics in the off topic section of the Forum to continue a presence and make a contribution to Steve. Join-in where you can :-D

Meanwhile my FCF Archives February Ferret 2023 moves on to today's selection shortly to be posted by yours truly! Hope you find something in that to contribute.

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

A picture that regularly does the rounds on Facebook...
328470411_967439274635053_5954163518151142603_n.jpg
Snowflakes love it for countless reasons...

Often used to illustrate rose-tinted 'good old days...' Those of us around at the time knew the truth...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

If it weren't for the obvious fact that that picture was taken post 72, I would have placed the reat of the view as early 60s!! Is that a black and white influence, a personal quirk or a general feeling? :)
PS it amused me that they were repairing a Marina!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

And no sign of axle stands!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

mickthemaverick wrote: 09 Feb 2023, 09:34 If it weren't for the obvious fact that that picture was taken post 72, I would have placed the reat of the view as early 60s!! Is that a black and white influence, a personal quirk or a general feeling? :)
PS it amused me that they were repairing a Marina!! :-D
The provenance of that picture and much of the contents within have been endlessly debated on Facebook many times Mick ;)

Many believe it's a photoshop. I agree, car post '72 and quite care-worn so late 70s or early 80s. Maybe even later...

Then the background and fashions being worn by the girls and the toys they are playing with don't quite fit... And the general absence of other parked cars. Much more 60s and quite early 60s at that...

Then there's those that worry about the person working underneath with no visible means of additional support and a further group who wring their hands in horror over all the spilt oil on the road and pavement... If they think that's bad, I've seen much worse and a lot more recently!

I never remember the Marina as being terribly unreliable compared to its peers - after a few years they all needed a good weekend of work to keep them going for another week!
Paul-R wrote: 09 Feb 2023, 09:39 And no sign of axle stands!
And that causes more angst than anything else in Facebook comments Paul...
Jim

Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

It was a Christmas tradition for many years that I would be taking the engine out of my MG Midget for one reason or another. And all back in for the New Year.
Scan_20191210 (2).jpg
Ah, hair. I remember you.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​